The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Official Demolition Derby Group Build Thread
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 01:31 PM UTC
As promised here are a couple of pic's of where I'm at. I removed the moulding, door handle and lock, and drilled out the trim mounting holes. First pic is stock from the box. Second pic is after scraping and sanding.

I've also removed the rear bench seat and started shaping some sheet plastic for a sheet metal look. Hopefully I'll get back to her by the weekend.
Oh, and Bob, this one isn't going to look as good as yours. She'll be wearing a multicolor scheme with plenty of rust.
Was thinking about a red heartbeat pinstrip that fades into a flat line on the rear quarter.

Hermon
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 02:42 PM UTC
I did put alittle rust{holes} on the rear quarters, but the fresh paint over it covers alot of that up. My thoughts for a theme were; "what to do with grandpa's old car since he can't drive anymore"......
Just opened my newest ebay find- march/april 1981 scale auto enthusiast with the transtar II sleeper cab to daycab conversion article....my car's paint needs to dry anyway!
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 07:59 AM UTC
A little update on my chebby. Pic #1 is the stock body and pic #2 is ready for paint. I removed the mouldings, door handle and lock, drilled out the moulding attachment holes, drilled out the rear marker light on the quarter panels and added some rust holes and battle damage. I'm working on the interior tonight after my sons football game so I'll try and get a few pic's of that later.

Bob, I may have found myself a set of steelie wheels for this one over on "you know where" but the eggs ain't in the basket yet.

Hermon
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 08:01 AM UTC
Alright...I'm ready already.......bring on the competition!

Local sponsors pay for the beer...I mean parts!
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 02:54 PM UTC
Man that is awsome! I wish I had some of those sponser decals.
Wheels turned out great and that fat rollbar looks super cool peeking through the windows.
I need to get going on mine tonight. Great job Bob and thanks for helping out. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if you decide to build another junker.

Hermon
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 03:41 PM UTC
Hey, now it's working...site was giving me fits most of the day.
Anyway, here's the one that didn't get thru...driver's side rear fender has my lil joke on it...the "right guard" decal is alittle off if you'd noticed, here's a close up of why-

...didn't seem right being on the left fender, so I made it "left guard".
...no, no plans on a front or rear guard...that would just be too silly!

Hermon...."maybe"...but I have an EOD vehicle to get more work done on for my friend's campaign...why does this seem so dejavou!
Wolfsangel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 221 posts
Auto Modeler: 33 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 05:36 PM UTC
and here I thought Bob was going to cheat with a tank or tractor, so I went out and bought the Polar Lights Mach-5. My first Snap-Together kit, awwww.

Bob, That is stunning work! You da Man!
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 12:39 AM UTC
Ditto Bob, you ARE da man. Great work, and the "left guard" thing is funny as hell.

I may get a chance to work on my junker this weekend.

Hermon
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 11:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

and here I thought Bob was going to cheat with a tank or tractor, so I went out and bought the Polar Lights Mach-5. My first Snap-Together kit, awwww.

Bob, That is stunning work! You da Man!

Thank you ... and it was a thought, I can not lie! So is the Mach V for the demo build or just for laughs...cause if you get to use that for the demo race I'm going back to the Cat! I really wish they'd get a Racer X "Stooting Star" vehicle in the works...why does speed get all the glory while rex is sidelined?!...you can tell I'm a rex fan, can't ya!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 11:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ditto Bob, you ARE da man. Great work, and the "left guard" thing is funny as hell.

I may get a chance to work on my junker this weekend.

Hermon

Thank you...oh, I dug out the package for the stickers that I used on the car...they are "Autographics 1/10 nascar cluster" I had these for my lil Team Losi RC buggy{1/12 or 1/18 scale as I recall}. They are kinda thin though, other than that they're nice and stick really well.
Wolfsangel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 01:14 PM UTC
Yes Bob, Unfortunately, I will be building the Mach-5. I was planning on getting a kit of a Great American Land Yacht and "beaterizing" it, but congress (my Wife) accidently reviewed the budget and caught me misappropriating funds last night. I tried the Supreme Executive Power card so she got dirty and asked if I liked to eat. Once everything starts tasting like Almonds, I get nervous.
Charlie
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 - 06:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Once everything starts tasting like Almonds, I get nervous.
Charlie

LMAO!

OK girls, the Rector household has a night off from football tonight so I'm gonna try and glue some sh** together and throw paint at it. Wish me luck, or not.....either way.....

Hermon
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 - 11:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes Bob, Unfortunately, I will be building the Mach-5. I was planning on getting a kit of a Great American Land Yacht and "beaterizing" it, but congress (my Wife) accidently reviewed the budget and caught me misappropriating funds last night. I tried the Supreme Executive Power card so she got dirty and asked if I liked to eat. Once everything starts tasting like Almonds, I get nervous.
Charlie

Well...even if your tried to veto the anti-funding bill, she'd probably try and hang more than that up in the house! It ain't worth it bud! Make the Mach V into the "anti mach V" or something and have fun anyway, with all your addendums still attached! This is also a re-election year ain't it...you don't want to get booted out!
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 - 01:36 PM UTC
As promised I've used my time tonight to apply my master skills to my DD car.

Body work is finished and I've added a sheet metal panel to the door to hold it securely to the quarter panel. Right now she's wearing her factory peachy, pinky, chebby paint. Rust and multi color scheme will come later.

Seat is from the spares box and was treated to half a roll of ductape to close up the wounds.

A shot of the battery with custom holder and wires.

And the chrome chain steering wheel and roll bar made from solder. (nice tip Bob)

I'm headin' back to the bench. See you guys in a while.

Hermon
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 - 02:58 PM UTC
Nice to know I can come up with a few good ideas....
I spy a drop tank....you playin with the wingy things too much again?!
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 11:47 AM UTC
Yup, gotta finish up my Origami campaign entry pretty soon. Also, I scored a $4.00 set of steelies that should be here sometime next week. I'll try and get an update pic of my Chebby posted later tonight.

Hermon
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Auto Modeler: 555 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 02:48 AM UTC
Duck tape I get, but HTH did you get the foam sticking thru the naugahide?

An how many naugas were sacraficed in making that seat cover??
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 01:47 PM UTC
Mark, to make the foam sticking out effect I just used my dremel tool to scratch out a little hollow spot and painted it tan. Once the ductape goes on it looks real enough.

No naugahides were harmed in the making of this seat.

Hermon
Wolfsangel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 06:07 PM UTC
Hey Everybody,

Quoted Text

This is also a re-election year ain't it...you don't want to get booted out!

Bob, you're right. Never in an election year! Besides, when my wife gets upset, woe to the one she's upset with. A truly wicked woman. Yea, ever since I left the service I missed that element of mortal danger until I met her. The spice of life!

Hermon, That seat looks great as does the battery, roll cage, and pimpin' steering wheel! When I saw the seat, though, it made me chuckle. That's realistic detail.

Mark, You know better! Hermon's a Dodge guy. They don't have Naugahide. It's the "finest Corinthian Leather". Ricardo Montalban: Great as Khan, and a great spin-doctor for cheap vinyl!

Well, I unwrapped the Mach 5 tonight and not much to my surprise, the kit looks great... to a 5 year old. It reminds me of either the old MPC kits from the '70s or a late '80s Eastern European armor kit. Mold seams, dimples, and flash, Oh my! I'm still trying to guess the scale on this POS. My first thoughts were split between brush painting it, loading it with fireworks and rolling it down the driveway or just closing the box and scratch building something else (it'd be easier). I almost sacrificed my only (I think) other car kit, the Tam Porsche 956. Sacrilege!

At least I don't have to worry about too many modifications. Bullet-proof glass, armor, jumpers, the flying robot thing, and all the other gismos I have yet to put on a real car (other than the spike-dropper I made for a '75 Caprice Classic. Worked well the 2 times I used it. Oh, and the 2nd gen. smoke screen I'm building for my Truckster [the first one made it look like I desperately needed new rings]) Not to mention that we don't even know where the battery is or if it even has one. For some reason the picture of Chim-chim getting electroshock therapy just popped into my head.
I need to go beddie-bye.
Charlie
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 03:10 PM UTC
Here are some update pic's of my build. There's still plenty of work to be done but she's starting to take shape. In the third pic you can almost make out the tach and temp gauges I made and mounted on the dash.

I tried to make the paint job look thin and amatureish like spray paint would be. I'll put on another coat of Future and then get started on the decals later. I've also got the underside done and suspension is in place. For the engine, I used the kits optional headers....mounted upside down.....and facing forward. I'll put some glasspacks on the ends sticking up through the front of the hood. I'll post some pic's when it's ready to glue in place.

Hermon
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 07:31 AM UTC
Well I'm STILL waiting on my steel wheels to get here...... .....someone on ebay is going to get a not so nice review.

Anyhoo.....I'm just about done with the body. Decals are all on now and I'll add some drybrushing and rust here and there. I'm still planning on adding some through-the-hood exhaust stacks about middle of the hood.

Everyone still with me out there?

Hermon
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 04:01 PM UTC
Ok, my glasspacks are through the hood. The wife thinks it's a bit stupid, but both the boys say it's way cool. So, it's different anyway.

Hermon
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 05:32 PM UTC
Ok guy count me in....yeah I'm running a bit late. The car would not start as the battery was dead. I jumped on a bus to a friends house for a jump only to find he went to work. So of the the bus stop... I went to my ex wife house to see if her husband who is 25 years younger than her to see if he would give me a jump. As we were heading down the highway we got a rear flat...ok really. So now we're walking, with tire in hand for 3 miles to get the tire fixed only to find the nearest station was closed for a Polish holiday event.

After an hour we had the tire fixed and made our way back to the car...so we thought. See when we got the it was gone. What the heck. So we left the tire and went on our separate ways.

While walking back into town I ran into a friend and decided to stop into a bar for a drink…5 hours later we left and I was this time stumbling (5 steps forward, 2 steps back) towards the car all the long forgetting that I needed a jump. I slept in the car for the night and started the day off just as I did 24 hours ago. Yeah I did get the jump and the car is sitting in the driveway. I plan on get working on it during mid week…right after I file for unemployment benefits as I got fired from my job for not showing up AGAIN!!!

Oh well thank god for models.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 05:33 PM UTC
You guys are doing a bang up job some great looking cars.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 01:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok guy count me in....yeah I'm running a bit late. The car would not start as the battery was dead. I jumped on a bus to a friends house for a jump only to find he went to work. So of the the bus stop... I went to my ex wife house to see if her husband who is 25 years younger than her to see if he would give me a jump. As we were heading down the highway we got a rear flat...ok really. So now we're walking, with tire in hand for 3 miles to get the tire fixed only to find the nearest station was closed for a Polish holiday event.

After an hour we had the tire fixed and made our way back to the car...so we thought. See when we got the it was gone. What the heck. So we left the tire and went on our separate ways.

While walking back into town I ran into a friend and decided to stop into a bar for a drink…5 hours later we left and I was this time stumbling (5 steps forward, 2 steps back) towards the car all the long forgetting that I needed a jump. I slept in the car for the night and started the day off just as I did 24 hours ago. Yeah I did get the jump and the car is sitting in the driveway. I plan on get working on it during mid week…right after I file for unemployment benefits as I got fired from my job for not showing up AGAIN!!!

Oh well thank god for models.

Happy Modeling,
Joe

Joe...Good to see yah, and I've had days like that long ago. Now it's just simple things things like delousing the kids the last two weeks...makes me itch just thinking about it!
Come join in the fun and build up a beater with us!