The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
What the postman brought today ....
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 - 10:11 AM UTC
Nice one, Rowan!

And a very simple and elegant color scheme!

Gabriel
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Auto Modeler: 192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 - 10:33 AM UTC
Nice Rowan, you can't go wrong with the Ebbro kits.
From what I understand the man behind Ebbro is the same man that used to do the F1 cars for Tamiya.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 - 01:50 PM UTC
A fellow builder has shifted interest and offered me a pile of "rebuilders" at a very cheap price. All have been started to some degree, some are missing parts, instructions, decals etc, but at the price I couldn't refuse. This gives me plenty of spare parts, body shells to practise on and modify, and at least 4 of these kits are complete.

Cheers, D
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2019 - 01:14 AM UTC
That's a lot of Chevrolets. Nice haul.

Jim
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Auto Modeler: 388 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2019 - 08:35 AM UTC
Hi again

Wow! That is an impressive line-up of classic Chevy kits - and if half of them are complete, it's a great catch!

I'm pretty stoked because my BIG "birthday present to me" arrived today! And, yeah, it's a guitar - so, not really appropriate for the forum and I won't post a picture.

But it's kind of relevant in a way, because it's my excuse for not getting much modelling done today - on account of the sore fingers I've got through playing it for hours!

There's a link to the manufacturer HERE for anyone interested in axes - and, on the basis of my one, I can totally recommend Gordon Smith guitars.

All the best

Rowan
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2019 - 09:22 AM UTC
Wow, impressive haul there Damian.

Rowan: is that the custom build guitar? Fender Telecaster was it?
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2019 - 09:38 AM UTC
Hi Jesper

It can't be called a Fender Telecaster for copyright reasons - but, yeah, it's a "Tele" in all but name. I've got a real Fender Stratocaster, so it was a bit of a leap of faith to go to a UK manufacturer for the "Tele" - but it's absolutely gorgeous! It's the first custom-made guitar I've owned and I love it already.

All the best

Rowan
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 - 12:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There's a link to the manufacturer HERE for anyone interested in axes - and, on the basis of my one, I can totally recommend Gordon Smith guitars.

I had a wander through the website Rowan, some very impressive looking instruments there and a wonderful company history. I hope the new owners can continue the legacy!

Go on, post a picture, give us a look at your new baby!

Cheers, D
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 - 02:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Go on, post a picture, give us a look at your new baby!

Cheers, D

Hi Damian

OK - just for you!

All the best

Rowan
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 - 02:34 AM UTC
Happy birthday Rowan.

Well postie delivered these two, the Mustang I found in a charity shop and is the concept car and as such can be built as either cabriolet, hard top or fast back. On the flip side looks like I’m becoming a Mopar fan as another Charger hits the stash even if it’s a Dukes of Hazard one.

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 - 04:12 AM UTC
Cheers Luciano

You've got another nice catch there! Seeing that Mustang, I reckon I should check out the other charity shops here on the Island! We seldom see kits in my Oxfam books and music shop, but I wonder what might be tucked away in some of the standard shops...

All the best

Rowan
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 - 04:26 AM UTC
That is a beautiful looking guitar Rowan, congratulations! It is amazing how much your playing improves just by holding a high quality piece in your hands. Great to hear that you are enjoying it already.

BTW, is that PRU blue

Cheers, D
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 - 08:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That is a beautiful looking guitar Rowan, congratulations! It is amazing how much your playing improves just by holding a high quality piece in your hands. Great to hear that you are enjoying it already.

BTW, is that PRU blue

Cheers, D

Hi Damian

The other thing I love about picking up about any new guitar is that, touch wood(!), it always inspires me to play a little bit
differently, find fresh patterns and pluck new tunes out of the ether. That's happened already with the Gordon Smith.

I'm not really a "lead" player, but I'm amazed by just how good the access is up high on the neck - definitely better than any of my other guitars - so that is a totally unexpected bonus.

I don't know if Gordon Smith guitars are available in Oz - but if you spot one, do try it out - if mine is anything to go by, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Turning it around - I've always wanted to try a Maton, but I've never seen one in the UK.

It's not PRU Blue (I've actually always fancied having a car painted that colour - it's really classy!), but it's certainly not a million miles away from one of the original colours for the Honda S600 - so you can guess what I'll go for when I build the kit.

All the best

Rowan
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 - 10:51 AM UTC
Rowan, I have a Maton CW-80 that is about 30 years old, it is a magnificent large bodied acoustic with great tone. One of my best friends is a French-polisher who also plays dobro and lap-steel, and he did some work at the Maton factory on custom pieces and restorations, so I had several opportunities to go through the factory a few years back.

Cheers, D
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 - 07:23 AM UTC
Back from a show today and these 2nd hand and new items followed me home.

Plus some tools, some of which got opened and used whilst at the show.
Any one tell me what the car is as it’s just labelled 66 Mercury.

The paints are titanium silver and titanium gold. The little bottle next to the Xuron pro sprue cutters is Zap brush on super glue medium.
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 - 09:05 AM UTC
Looks like a custom based off of a Monterey.
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 - 09:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks David, with your guidance I looked up the Monterey and you are correct as the kit can be built stock, street or drag, once I compared the stock parts it was a given.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 - 10:44 AM UTC
Looks like you had some fun shopping at the show Luciano, always some great bargains if you have a good look around.

Of course my eyes went straight to the El Camino, I haven't seen that kit around. I'm not sure that bike would go far as a trail bike though

Cheers, D
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 - 07:42 PM UTC
Another great haul Luciano.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 - 11:58 PM UTC
Hi Luciano

Great haul!

I've never come across brush-on superglue, so I'd be keen to know how it works out. How do you keep the brush from turning solid?

All the best

Rowan
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2019 - 12:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks David, with your guidance I looked up the Monterey and you are correct as the kit can be built stock, street or drag, once I compared the stock parts it was a given.

You're welcome. How is the kit?
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2019 - 01:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rowan, I have a Maton CW-80 that is about 30 years old, it is a magnificent large bodied acoustic with great tone. One of my best friends is a French-polisher who also plays dobro and lap-steel, and he did some work at the Maton factory on custom pieces and restorations, so I had several opportunities to go through the factory a few years back.

Cheers, D

Hi Damian

I'm not jealous at all! I've been watching a few links to Maton acoustics and they look absolute beauties!

It's St. Patrick's Day now, so I've celebrated this morning by "officially" playing my birthday present for the first time (all the previous twanging was obviously just checking it was ready to go! ).

I think you wrote a while back that it's your wife's birthday today too? I hope you have a wonderful day together!

All the best

Rowan
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2019 - 02:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm not jealous at all! I've been watching a few links to Maton acoustics and they look absolute beauties!

It's St. Patrick's Day now, so I've celebrated this morning by "officially" playing my birthday present for the first time (all the previous twanging was obviously just checking it was ready to go! ).

I think you wrote a while back that it's your wife's birthday today too? I hope you have a wonderful day together!
Rowan

Hi Rowan, best wishes for today mate, I'm sure you are enjoying putting some hours in on the new guitar. It's a great feeling to own and hold something that is a cut above the usual, especially a custom crafted piece like yours. I remember very well how I felt when I got my Stratocaster almost 25 years ago, it was a reissue of the "Lone Star" with 2 single coils and a twin coil, very unusual for a Strat.

Make the most of the rest of your day, and many thanks for the wishes to Karen.

Cheers, D
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2019 - 07:29 AM UTC
Hi again

Once again, today's delivery is nothing to do with modelling, so sorry about that, but you put up with my "Tele" and I simply have to give a shout-out to the wonderful team of volunteers in my Oxfam shop! They clubbed together to get me this recording interface to go with my new guitar!:

I was stunned - I can't begin to say how much it means to me!

Right! I promise my next post really will be relevant to car modelling - my Revell '58 Impala is apparently due to arrive on Wednesday.

Thanks for your patience with my music diversions and all the best

Rowan
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2019 - 05:24 PM UTC
That looks like a neat bit of kit Rowan, I just had to do some Googling to get an idea of how versatile that is. I can see you're not going to be getting much sleep of much bench time for a while!

Congratulations once again, very nice

Cheers, D