The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
What the postman brought today ....
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2019 - 05:48 PM UTC
Nice buy Rowan. Gorgeous racing car.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2019 - 05:44 AM UTC
Picked these up at Hobby Lobby the other day. Needed them like I need a hole in the head! Saw the reviews & buildups over on hpiguy's Model Workshop YouTube channel (links below), and I haven't been able to get the song "Greased Lightning" out of my head.

The 1948 Ford will be built as Greased Lightning; not idea on the 1960 Chevrolet.

1948 Ford Convertable

1960 Chevrolet Fleetside

Jim
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2019 - 09:36 AM UTC
James, good looking both of them. I follow Chris' channel as well. The Chevy is a truck and you have a gazillion of variants to think of.

Cheers!
Gabriel
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2019 - 10:23 AM UTC
I'm thinking something possibly fire service related, but that's not set in stone.

Jim
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Auto Modeler: 388 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2019 - 03:21 AM UTC
Hi again

Postie delivered a mixed bundle of goodies the other day, including Tamiya's Calsonic Skyline GT-R:

I did a double take when I saw it's dated 1999, because it's really impressive for a kit with moulds dating back 20 years.

All the best

Rowan
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Auto Modeler: 192 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2019 - 08:04 AM UTC
That’s a very nice kit Rowan and Tamiya do a whole range of Calsonic Skylines, I know as I have most of them. I did build one the R33 version I think but it got damaged several years ago in a house move. Great kits, you should have fun.

Postie brought a couple of parcels my way last week.
Not in the photo is some paint in bright colours that don’t normally get used in aircraft or ship building, Orange, Orange-Yellow and purple, Lambos will certainly make my display colourful.

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2019 - 08:47 AM UTC
Hi Luciano

Wow! That is quite a haul! I'm looking forward to seeing the Diablo on your workbench.

I'm really encouraged by your take on the Tamiya Calsonic Skyline, because my impressions are also that it's a great kit for the money. I'll rustle up a review before too long.

All the best

Rowan
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 - 06:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Luciano

Wow! That is quite a haul! I'm looking forward to seeing the Diablo on your workbench.

I'm really encouraged by your take on the Tamiya Calsonic Skyline, because my impressions are also that it's a great kit for the money. I'll rustle up a review before too long.

All the best

Rowan

Unfortunately Rowan the Diablo will have to wait a while as there are several floaty and sinky things on the bench at the moment.

Got to agree those Tamiya Skyline kits are very nice and over the years Tamiya have released many versions of which a lot are no longer available. I think my first car waiting to get on the bench is a Fujimi Ferrari 575M which I started last year.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 - 07:53 AM UTC
Hi again Luciano

I love it! - "floaty and sinky things"!

I'm really looking forward to finding a way to squeeze few more "rolly and crashy things" onto my workbench.

All the best

Rowan
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
Auto Modeler: 105 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 - 10:00 AM UTC
Well the postie has dropped off my second car kit, the first being a Focus which I got, err 8 years ago lol.
This is a kit I have been wanting for a while, and having had my juices wetted with working on AutoModeler, I bought one.

Andy
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 - 06:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi again Luciano

I love it! - "floaty and sinky things"!

I'm really looking forward to finding a way to squeeze few more "rolly and crashy things" onto my workbench.

All the best

Rowan

Rowan, when I refer to 'sinky' things I'm referring to submarines, 'floaty' of course being ships. 2 destroyers, a steam gun boat and 2 subs on the bench. There is also a sloop about to rejoin the bench for the dry docked campaign.

Nice one Andy, I had that on my radar for some time years ago when it first came out.
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 - 04:53 AM UTC
Postie arrived today with two parcels

Tamiya spray stand and some paint

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 - 08:11 AM UTC
Hi Luciano

That's a great haul!

Looking at the builds here, I really must dig out my Tamiya paint stand. I bought one donkey's years ago (probably 15 or 20...), but never found it much use for my aircraft builds. It's clearly a different kettle of fish entirely for car models.

All the best

Rowan
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 - 08:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Luciano

That's a great haul!

Looking at the builds here, I really must dig out my Tamiya paint stand. I bought one donkey's years ago (probably 15 or 20...), but never found it much use for my aircraft builds. It's clearly a different kettle of fish entirely for car models.

All the best

Rowan

Hi Rowan,
Yes the Tamiya paint stands are something I’ve seen being used on quite a few builds here and on YouTube so I thought I’d better get myself one. I’ve got a different set of markings and a small conversion set for the Manta coming soon.

Never know if I pull my finger out I just may complete a build and review over here in Auto world.
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 - 10:03 AM UTC
Nice one Lucky, I have looked at the Opal Manta a couple of times and been very tempted, you will have to post some sprue shots of it.
Andy
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2019 - 10:02 AM UTC
Hi again Luciano

I had a good old hunt around today and couldn't find my Tamiya paint stand! I know I didn't throw it away - I never ditch any tool if there's even half a chance it'll be useful one day (that's why I can hardly move for stuff in my workroom! LOL!), but I must have done a good job stashing it away in the proverbial "safe place"!

All the best

Rowan
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2019 - 10:40 AM UTC
I've had 2 of the Tamiya paint stands for years now, they are great and not only for car bodies. The larger section holds a lot of parts clips and being able to rotate makes it easy to take them on and off with out reaching across and knocking other parts.

Cheers, D
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2019 - 10:47 AM UTC
Picked my Tamiya paint stand up today, and it looks like a Godsend for spraying car bodies, looking forward to trying it out as soon as my car (that will be my first victim to cock up) arrives .
Andy
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2019 - 10:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Picked my Tamiya paint stand up today, and it looks like a Godsend for spraying car bodies, looking forward to trying it out as soon as my car (that will be my first victim to cock up) arrives .
Andy

There's nothing better Andy.

Cheers, D
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2019 - 02:50 AM UTC
Postie arrived with another parcel.

Two more Lambos and a Mitsubishi plus decals and a conversion set for the Belkits Opel Manta

This boxing of the Reventon comes with p/e.

Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2019 - 03:47 AM UTC
Luciano, that Reventon is fabulous and rare! The Gallant will make a much better display as a "civilian" car in my opinion, but nice buy nonetheless.

Gabriel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 - 12:08 PM UTC
It's always great to see folks adding to their Auto stash, some really nice looking kits there Luciano!

I picked this one up from the LHS to fill the last gap in my '55 series, just need to decide whether to do it stock or custom.

Scrounging around in an Op-Shop while taking a break from work yesterday I saw this box sitting on a shelf with a very cheap price tag. Fearing the worst, I asked them to open it up so that I could see what was left inside as is still might be valuable for spares. Surprise surprise, complete and still in sealed bags, so the '57 series just grew a little larger.

I also found and ordered another kit online a few days back, one I've been chasing for quite a while, but I'm not going to jinx the mail man by announcing it here before I actually get my hands on it.

Cheers, D
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 - 06:13 PM UTC
Very nice pick-up's.
Damian, hope you don't plan to use those 80's corvette wheels, on the '57
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 - 06:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice pick-up's.
Damian, hope you don't plan to use those 80's corvette wheels, on the '57

Not a chance mate, they don't fit at all! They will go straight to the spare parts box.

Reading the kit description on the box it basically says that this kit was designed jointly by Revell and HotWheels so it is basically an up-scaled HotWheels toy. Looking at it now you can see the influence.

Picked up my other parcel today from the Post Office. Very excited to open it up and check it out tonight

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 - 12:14 AM UTC
I almost forgot, while I was scrounging around at the Op-Shop, I picked up 4 of these for $1 each. They looked about the right size, and seriously, what have I got to lose at that price.

My idea is to make 4 different display bases. I will probably paint the frames, then I'm thinking of replacing the glass with a mirror on one, concrete paving and grass on one to replicate a driveway, bitumen and a piece of kerb on the third, and maybe a section of a workshop on the fourth.
Any other ideas gratefully accepted.

And now, I am so excited that I finally finally finally got my hot little hands on one of these. I missed out on one a couple of years back by about 30 seconds on a local Facebook BSS page and that's the last time I saw one until this one popped up.

Cheers, D