The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
"Blue Oval" Group Build - Tribute to Henry
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 - 02:20 AM UTC
Inspiration photo for today, taken through the windscreen of my car.

Things you see in a McDonalds Drive-Thru!

I followed it down the freeway for a few kilometres just admiring the lines, a beautiful thing!

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 - 02:53 AM UTC
D,
The guy must own that Mikey Ds. If not, I'm sure that he can buy it without thinking twice.

Joel
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 - 04:27 AM UTC
Well, you don't see that every day.

Jim
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 - 06:23 AM UTC
My guess would be that is a Superformance clone/continuation.

https://superformance.com/factory-models-gt40
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 - 07:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My guess would be that is a Superformance clone/continuation.

https://superformance.com/factory-models-gt40

David,
Most likely you're right. But you're still looking at big bucks.

Joel
165thspc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Auto Modeler: 106 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 - 08:27 AM UTC
Not exactly reference for Gabriel's '66 F-100 build but still it fits on this thread:

tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
Auto Modeler: 409 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 - 12:31 PM UTC
Now that's fast food! D!
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 - 03:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Now that's fast food! D!

Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 - 04:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I followed it down the freeway for a few kilometres just admiring the lines, a beautiful thing!

With open windows, so you could hear it, as well, as see it
forest1000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 80 posts
Auto Modeler: 44 posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 - 10:20 AM UTC
I'll be building Bill Elliot's #94 McDonald's Thunderbat.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 - 03:57 PM UTC
That’s a very nice looking kit David, great choice! I’m looking forward to following your build here.

Cheers, D
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 - 06:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not exactly reference for Gabriel's '66 F-100 build but still it fits on this thread:

Actually a very good reference for the "feel" of it. Thanks, Michael. I have in plan for my build a complete different and more "contemporary" color scheme, but I like the old lady here pretty much as well.

Thanks!

Gabriel
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 - 03:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll be building Bill Elliot's #94 McDonald's Thunderbat.

I have one of those and a "Mac 2 Night" one wrapped up in the stash.

"Awesome Bill from Dawsonville" was one of my favorite drivers back when NASCAR racing was great. I quit watching about 10 years ago.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 - 05:07 AM UTC
David,
Same here. Elliot was my favorite driver back in the days, and he was the only one to run Earnhardt on an even par. While Earnhardt intimidated just about every driver, not so with Wild Bill, who won his share of races battling him.

I'm not much of a Nascar fan these days preferring Indy Cars and F1. But I do catch all the road course races and a few iconic ovals like Darlington, Bristol, Dover, Atlanta, and of course the Daytona 500. I hate restrictor plate racing, but the 500 is the 1st race of the year, and I'm itching just for some racing action by then.

Joel
forest1000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 - 10:40 AM UTC
Thanks, Damian and Joel. The kit is a bit of an oddball. It's not the actual roadcar. It's based upon a few cars that were used promotionally. The interior is supposed to be painted completely black. I'll probably paint it like the actual race car.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 - 11:04 AM UTC
David,
I'm looking forward to your build, and will be following along till you cross the finish line in 1st place.

Joel
forest1000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 - 11:41 AM UTC
I stopped watching about then, too, though I have to admit I just started watching it again. Definitely, not the same.
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2019 - 12:12 AM UTC
IMSA, F1, Indycar and when I can catch it Australian Supercars.

At the IMSA race at Virginia Ford had one of McLaughlin's Mustangs there for exhibition laps. It was weird how much taller it was compared to a GT4 one.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2019 - 12:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I stopped watching about then, too, though I have to admit I just started watching it again. Definitely, not the same.

David,
Hardly any Good Old Southern Boys driving. Today's drivers are from all over. Nothing wrong with that, but that certain Southern something regional series is long gone. Use to be that a driver was as associated with a team as the main sponsor was. Not so these days. Gee, just like most other professional forms of racing, and sports for that matter.

Joel
forest1000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2019 - 11:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

David,
Hardly any Good Old Southern Boys driving. Today's drivers are from all over. Nothing wrong with that, but that certain Southern something regional series is long gone. Use to be that a driver was as associated with a team as the main sponsor was. Not so these days. Gee, just like most other professional forms of racing, and sports for that matter.

Joel

I agree and I think it's too much about sponsors, who's marketable, and analyzing the race to death, and can they drive or last the season. On top of that, the cars kinda look all the same shape-wise.

I like watching F1 and Moto most of the time and really enjoy WRC and Touring Car racing.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 - 05:50 AM UTC
Well, as usual with my what to build decisions, I've once again changed the overall plan, but the car for the GB will be the same, well, sort of.

I've got two Revell 1/25 scale Roush Trans Am Mustangs. Not the easiest kits to build from what friends have told me compared to the cream of the crop that I usually decide to build. My original plan was to build both of them for the GB with the stock Revell kit as my official GB build.

The 2nd kit isn't really a kit but rather a Resin conversion to the Revell kit, so you end up needing about half of the kit parts. I've got a very rare resin body that's absolutely dead on accurate, but long out of production. My buddy was one of the guys who worked on these resin IMSA and Trans Am silhouette cars. He's built several, and still has several more of both body types plus the Revell kit parts needed. So he sent me a full set plus some Slixx decals for the All Pro drink car.

After looking for some time at the Resin conversion with detail parts, this isn't your typical build, at least for me it isn't. I've never built a vacuum form kit, nor worked with Resin other then buying a few Resin ejection seats for a F15 build years ago.

So my new plan is to go with the full Revell OOB build for the GB, and start the Resin conversion now as a separate build. I'll be doing my usual Build blog, but will also post some pictures of interest in the GB compared to the Revell parts.

When the GB starts, that build becomes my equal focus as now I'm planning to split my build time about equally for both kits.

I've never built more then one kit at a time, and only have one Shelf Queen that will most likely never see the light of day, so there's no going back once I start, which is going to be today.

Joel
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
Auto Modeler: 13 posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 - 06:25 AM UTC
Hello all, I havent built a model in a few years, and Ive got a hankering, and it looks like some time and space, so i think I'll have a go at this.
I have this remarkable photograph of my grandmother, Mary Z. Bassett, who was a Red cross nurse, and who remarkably for those days, owned her own model T Ford from the early '20s until after the second world war, when it was replaced by a Pontiac.

I also have this rather amusing kit. I'm a big fan of Pyro kits and this one looks pretty good. It is #1 in the "Vintage Brass" series. It has a copyright date of 1967. the kit looks complete. A previous owner did start sticking some parts together, but just barely.

The car in the photo appears to be a hard top and the kit clearly shows a rag top. I havent decided yet if i will attempt a customization, or just build it OOB. Definately will be a fun project.
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 - 07:38 AM UTC
I was talking with the wife about this GB and she asked what I was going to build. I listed off all the possibilities and she made a suggestion based on my other hobbies that just makes sense.

Details on the start date. Ordering resin parts to customize to my liking.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 - 07:47 AM UTC
Jonathan,
Excellent choice, as well as finding the perfect connection to the build. I'm really looking forward to following your build.

David,
How about just a little hint as what your build will be

Joel
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 - 10:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

David,
How about just a little hint as what your build will be