The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
"Blue Oval" Group Build - Tribute to Henry
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Auto Modeler: 388 posts
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2019 - 12:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Inspiration pics for "T minus 10 and counting" are for you Rowan, the 1940 Standard Coupe.

Cheers, D

Cheers Damian

There are some drop-dead gorgeous examples there!

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2019 - 12:50 AM UTC
Rowan,

go for the paint job in the #1 picture. OMG, is it outrageous

Dennis,
yep, WWII put a quick stop to the automobile industry for sure. I do love that coupe for it's looks, as most people including me mostly remember the fast back, especially as it seems to have evolved into "The General's" car.

Joel
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Auto Modeler: 388 posts
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2019 - 01:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rowan,

Joel

Hi Joel

I've been looking at vintage Ford paint charts and am actually leaning towards a deep burgundy - but I'll go for a period finish (not metallic).

All the best

Rowan
bluebell914
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Auto Modeler: 49 posts
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2019 - 02:03 AM UTC
I'm good with the rules. Just thought I'd ask. I'll be doing a GT40 and could have done the Mercury version (I'll do that also, but just for me). Sure didn't want to stir the pot....sorry!
M4A1Sherman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Auto Modeler: 30 posts
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2019 - 02:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rowan,

Dennis,
yep, WWII put a quick stop to the automobile industry for sure. I do love that coupe for it's looks, as most people including me mostly remember the fast back, especially as it seems to have evolved into "The General's" car.

Joel

Hi, All!

Re: The Ford WWII stuff- Forgot to mention the T26E3/M26 "Pershing", which had the Ford GAF Engine in it. The GAF was an adaptation of the GAA Engine; it was coupled to a Torquematic Transmission. The GAF Engine, it was found, was a bit under-powered for the T26E3/M26, as this tank was quite a bit heavier than the M4A3 "Sherman"...

Not being a wise-guy, again:

The "Generals' Car"- It seems that the War-period Ford Fordor cars, (also four-door Dodges and Plymouths) were meant for Field Grade Officers, i.e, Lt.Colonels and Colonels. Majors and below rated "Jeeps". General Officers rated Lincolns, Cadillacs and Packards. General Patton, for instance, was chauffered-around in his 1939 Cadillac Fleetwood Limousine post-war, and this was the car in which he was fatally injured. General Eisenhower on the other hand, was often seen stepping out of his 1941 Packard limo...

These "ratings" were not "hard-and-fast" rules however, as many wartime photos show...
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2019 - 04:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm good with the rules. Just thought I'd ask. I'll be doing a GT40 and could have done the Mercury version (I'll do that also, but just for me). Sure didn't want to stir the pot....sorry!

Patrick,
No need to apologize for asking a question. That's how we get a lot of things done around here.

Looking forward to your GT40 build. I've got several of the Fujimi kits in my stash and just never seen to get around to any of them. I keep on saying one is up next, but it just never happens.

Joel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2019 - 12:33 PM UTC
Inspiration pics for "T minus 9 and counting" are for you Mark, the 1951 Custom Coupe.

Let's see what I can dig up next

Cheers, D
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Auto Modeler: 555 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2019 - 01:02 PM UTC
OOH,AHH. Those are wonderful. They're WAY better looking than my dad's old ride ever was. I hope I can do them some justice in my build.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2019 - 12:05 AM UTC
Inspiration pics for "T minus 8 and counting" are for Richard and Jesper, the 1965 Mustang 2+2 Fastback.

Off I go searching again

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2019 - 02:49 AM UTC
D,
Just great inspirational pictures for sure. The White with Blue stripes is the classic of classic ones for sure. Of course the BRG Mustang sure does remind me of the Steve McQueen's Mustang in Bullet, just the wrong year.

Joel
M4A1Sherman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2019 - 06:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

D,
Just great inspirational pictures for sure. The White with Blue stripes is the classic of classic ones for sure. Of course the BRG Mustang sure does remind me of the Steve McQueen's Mustang in Bullet, just the wrong year.

Joel

Hi, All!

SO happy to see that all of you are taking heart to this campaign with such enthusiasm. I however, am still finding it kind of tough to get myself going. Will keep you guys posted via a new thread, hopefully some time in the coming weeks...
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2019 - 10:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, All!

SO happy to see that all of you are taking heart to this campaign with such enthusiasm. I however, am still finding it kind of tough to get myself going. Will keep you guys posted via a new thread, hopefully some time in the coming weeks...

We will be here Dennis, just look after yourself and keep and eye on us when you can.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2019 - 12:46 AM UTC
Dennis,
Sounds like you've got a really good working plan. But I still say that you'd be better off joining us. It's a full 6 month GB, so no pressure time wise, and we're all friends here. It's not a competition in any sense of the word. Just all Ford guys except one Chevy guy from down under

Joel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2019 - 01:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just all Ford guys except one Chevy guy from down under

Joel

Well "T minus 7 days and counting" was already prepared, otherwise after that thinly veiled half-insult I would go with another car

This one is for you Joel

And because I'm in a good mood (a couple of glasses of nice red wine), I will give you THIS as well.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2019 - 01:57 AM UTC
D,
And thank you sir for those fantastic pictures and the link to Roush's page for the 1985 Motorcraft Mustang. I also have those decals from Indy Cal. So far I've got 3 different sponsors for the 1985-87 cars which were identical. One never has enough Roush Mustang pictures.

And just for the record, you're my favorite Bow Tie guy. I've also got the Revell Trans Am Camaro, but I'm still looking for the Hot Wheels AM decals. I did by Slixx decals for it, but I'm not thrilled with the sponsor choice. I'm also looking for a 2nd kit. So when the Bow Tie GB happens, I'll have lots of choices.

Joel
M4A1Sherman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2019 - 05:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dennis,
Sounds like you've got a really good working plan. But I still say that you'd be better off joining us. It's a full 6 month GB, so no pressure time wise, and we're all friends here. It's not a competition in any sense of the word. Just all Ford guys except one Chevy guy from down under

Joel

HEY! I'm a "Chevy-guy" but I still love old Fords, too. (I'm on my second VW Passat- GREAT CAR!!!) Actually, I'm not counting an old '64 Biscayne "beater" that I'd picked up for $25-bucks while still in school; I used it as a "knock-around car". I bought a 2-year-old '69 Dodge Dart 340GTS in my Senior year of High School, (1971), which I put A TON of money into to make it even more of a Hot Rod than it already was. Remember "Factory Hot Rods"? Well, THIS was one of 'em!

Ohh, she was NICE! Black, with a Black Vinyl Top and a Black Interior (Bench Seat- nice for girl-friends!) Torqueflite Transmission- Wait, wait... I had VITAR Engineering (in Brooklyn, NY), put a "no-stall" Torque Converter in it and they also sealed-up certain of the channels in the Valve Body; that meant I had to shift the Transmission MANUALLY through ALL gears, at all times. The Engine, wellll... 500 Horses on the dynamometer, is all I'm gonna say... I put a 3/4 "race" RACER BROWN Hydraulic-lifter Cam in the motor... Nothing wild...

CRAGAR S/S Mags, all the way around. I painted my Brake Drums (Anybody remember Drum Brakes?) a very bright ORANGE with heat-proof Engine Paint. This set the CRAGARS off very nicely with the overall Black of the rest of the car.

Edelbrock T'rantula Intake Manifold, 750CFM "Double-pumper" Holley Carburetor, Mickey Thompson Polished Aluminum Valve Covers; HOOKER Headers, which dumped into a "somewhat" stock-type of Exhaust System; I mounted two Cadillac Resonators in lieu of conventional Mufflers- These offered LESS back-pressure than any supposedly "High-performance Mufflers", with the added benefit of less NOISE output. That, to keep the New York City Cops happy.

Yes, I raced it; made a little bit of money with it too, but it got to be too expensive after a while. I had that car for a little over a year, and then I traded it in at a Hot Rod Dealer's out in Huntington, Long Island for a used '70 1/2 Chevy Camaro Z-28 with an LT-1 Corvette Motor in it. I wanted a car that HANDLED! The Dart was quick, but it handled like a truck, so "bye-bye" it went... The Z-28 is ANOTHER story, which I'm not gonna bore you "Ford Guys" with...

VR, Dennis
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2019 - 07:03 AM UTC
Dennis,
Those cars are amazing. I'm surprised you didn't end up with your license suspended. Mine was, so that's how I got my parents to allow me to make my MGB into a street/race car. Wasn't really competitive on the track (mostly time trials at Bridgehamption), but I had my moments.

Then it was 3 years of Enduro Karting in NE region back in the early 70s. 3rd year in Stock I won my only regional championship. Still have my plaque on the wall in my man cave. Wife could care less.

I bought a 1970 302 Mustang that we used to tow the small trailer for the kart. Rest of the time is was a real beast on the street.

So come on, and join us, it's going to be a great GB with outstanding builds, and plenty of great conversations along the way.

Joel

M4A1Sherman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2019 - 09:46 AM UTC
Hi, Joel!

To be honest, it was fun while the fun lasted, which wasn't for very long. The Z/28 was actually more fun for me because I didn't have to shift it up and down all the time, ESPECIALLY in New York City-style traffic- I lived in Queens, just over the Queens/Brooklyn border, in a neighborhood called Ridgewood.

I was going to school with a bunch of "motor-heads" and we ALL had Hot Rods. We kept a pretty low profile though, and we didn't really "Street Race", so that's how we stayed out of trouble. We used to go to the Connecting Highways, Cross Bay Boulevard and Rockaway Parkway, and we would stay just long enough to know about when the "law" would be showing up to chase people away and start writing their summonses. "Self-preservation" we used to call it. We also used to go out to National Speedway to race, and that's how I picked up a few bucks- But that's how I also gave up on the racing. The SECOND you start winning a few races, that's when you have to start spending more money on stuff to make your wheels turn quicker. I said "F*** THAT noise!!!", and got the Z/28 not long after. Besides, I was going with a nice gal from Poland at the time and she didn't care much for all the noise the Hot Rods made. Things were starting to get pretty serious with us when her visa ran out and she couldn't get it renewed. I don't know what the story was there, and I was just a kid, anyway. My folks had just bought a house Upstate New York, so I moved along with them, and said "Goodbye" to my life as a "Flat-lander"...

I sold the Z/28 to another kid my age, and as soon as we moved into the new house, I bought a brand new '74 Opel Manta Luxus, which SIPPED gasoline in comparison to the Hot Rods I was used to- FUEL CRISIS!!! Remember that..? NO MORE Hot Rods for THIS BOY!

PS- Once we moved Upstate, I got to hanging with my Sister's ex-Husband, who used to run a Dirt Modified race car- All the goodies; Tobias Frame, big-ass Dirt Tires on 3 spindles with a smaller "Pony Wheel" on the Left front. Quick-change rear to run on different dirt tracks, and sometimes at paved tracks, as well, for which we had big-ass Pavement Tires. 454 Chevrolet motor and a big Holley for carburetion- COMPETELY different ball-game from drag racing... We ran in the Modified-Sportsman classes; "Full"-Modifieds ran fuel injection, which was out of our league, financially-speaking. THAT was a lot of fun, too! Just when he started winning "heats" and placing in top positions in the "Features", he and my Sister fell out and got divorced. That put a quick end to his "racing days". Oh well... Then, I got married a couple of years later, and divorced in 1980. Such is life...
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 - 02:45 AM UTC
I'm back!

"T minus 6 days and counting" is all about Jim's 1948 Deluxe Convertible, an absolutely beautiful vehicle!

One for sale here in Melbourne

And who could forget this movie star?

Cheers, D
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 - 03:38 AM UTC
Fenders! Ooh, Ahh. Don't know why but I always thought the Grease car was a 49 Merc.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 - 04:54 AM UTC
The T-Bird's car was the 1948 Ford while the Scorpion's car was the 1949 Mercury.

Jim
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 - 11:36 PM UTC
Gabriel, "T minus 5 days and counting" is yours, the 1966 F-100 Flareside (Stepside)

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2019 - 04:06 PM UTC
"T minus 4 days and counting" is yours Michaels, the little pocket rocket RS1600!

Cheers, D
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2019 - 04:12 PM UTC
Of course you HAD to include the green F-100.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2019 - 04:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Of course you HAD to include the green F-100.

But it's a thing of beauty! I am just catering to the broad scope of subject matter that we as scale modelers find appealing. There was no ulterior motive, honest

Cheers, D