The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Strip, Track & Trail Official Build Thread
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2020 - 02:33 AM UTC
Jim,
Whenever I've seen them advertised, they indicate that he's a new start up company. Nothing about using old mold. I've done a few Google searches, but haven't found anything as yet. I'll checkout some of the Nascar model sites, and post what I find out.

Found a few posts that certainly indicates that Salvino does in fact use the old Monogram 1/24 scale molds for the basics of his kits. Still, anything Nascar in injection molded plastic is welcome these days.

Joel
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2020 - 03:40 AM UTC
Joel,

That's interesting. Personally, I'm not a big NASCAR fan, but I can always appreciate a technologically advanced car. What I'd like to see is new IndyCar models coming out, but that probably won't happen. Not enough interest, therefore not enough profit to justify the kits.

Jim
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
Auto Modeler: 409 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2020 - 03:47 AM UTC
"Richard, Now there's a choice that I've never seen before. Should really test your modeling abilities. I'm betting that you turn it into a top flight display model for sure. So how are you going to deal with those wheels?:

Joel

Hi Joel
Today I am getting the main frame sorted.
No flash but some ejection pins to sand.
Very vague instructions so not a model for beginners to try to build square!
I may well use my lathe to turn new rims and thin wire for the spokes.
Next week I will be ordering a 3D printer and once I am up to speed with it I may print rims and tires.
Lots of detailing will be done on this one, 1/16 scale is a nice size to work on.
I am working three days a week for now (classified as essential service) so have lots of time to build.
RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
Auto Modeler: 28 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2020 - 04:35 AM UTC
So, these are the four choices I have in my stash.

I asked my son which one he would like to help me with, and this is the one he chose

Now, don't expect much progress on this, I've got a *lot* of projects on the go which I'm trying to skillfully manage
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2020 - 07:02 AM UTC
Neil,
Excellent choice, as it's also one of my final choices, but I have the Martini version as I'm getting tired of doing the gloss Black JPS scheme.

The only really tricky part of the build is the engine exhausts. Tamiya for some reason back then have all 8 exhaust pipes as separate pcs, so proper alignment is like I said fiddly to say the least.

But the plus side is that's a single color scheme unlike most other F1 kits of that era.

Joel

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2020 - 07:05 AM UTC
Richard,
Now turning your own rims on a lathe will give you perfect wheel rims for sure. I'm thinking that you will be needing some kind of jig so that the axle hub and rim are 100% dead on center, and in the same plane.

As for the 3D machine, you could become our new super source for needed parts.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2020 - 07:14 AM UTC
Jim,
Tell me about it. I've been slowly collecting the old AMT 1/25 scale Indy car kit with AM decals, but still haven't build one as yet. The Monogram kits are a little softer in detail but they're 1/24 scale so I've been really up in the air about mixing those two scales for my display.

The problem with new Indy cars just like with New main stream Nascar kits is that the rights were sold to the Die-Cast companies. This way they sell them at the track with the correct version and paint scheme. Most of the new Nascar kits are limited run resin bodies with donor kits that will eventually dry up, even though they've been cloning them.

There's also quite a few resin body Indy cars, with most being offered as limited run multi media kits. They take a ton of work, and the quality does vary quite a bit. Prices start at $100 and up.

I've thought about trying one, but I don't think that I have the skills to get it across the finish line at a level I'd be happy with.

Joel

tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2020 - 11:08 AM UTC
Worked on the motor today:-

The transmission is not correct the gear shift should be on the right side wall of the cockpit.
I cut off the transmission (it will not be visible) and will cover the floor, more about the cockpit later in the build.

Next the chassis sides were but together with the aid of wood blocks cut to size as spacers and clamped.

Last the belly pan is glued to the under frame.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2020 - 11:37 AM UTC
Richard,
Now that's a great start. Just a little confused as to the transmission. Are you going to correct the shift lever and glue it back on to the engine, or just leave it off as it won't be seen?

Joel
forest1000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 80 posts
Auto Modeler: 44 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2020 - 12:37 PM UTC
What a fantastic selection of kits so far.

Richard: Thanks, I'm looking forward to building this kit. And am really interested in your build. Love the old racers.

Neil: Excellent choice. I can remember watching some of these races on Wide World of Sports I think it was that show, anyway (clips mostly).

Joel: I'm using the kit decals and make my own for whatever is missing. There's not a lot of photos, however, I found this forum. This modeller went way past what I'm hoping to do, but it is impressive. Had some really good reference photos, too. See the link.

https://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=27064
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2020 - 10:28 PM UTC
Thanks Dave!

Quoted Text

Richard,
Now that's a great start. Just a little confused as to the transmission. Are you going to correct the shift lever and glue it back on to the engine, or just leave it off as it won't be seen?

Joel

Joel the shift lever is of a different design so the kit one is scrap.
Where the kit shift lever is located on the real car is a copper tank under the drivers legs!
The cockpit dose not represent the real one at all.
Take care every one!
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2020 - 02:40 AM UTC
David,
I just read through most of that guys build blog, and I'm really impressed to say the least. His decals were water damaged so he got AM ones from Michael at Indy Cals. I'll be really interested in seeing how you actually go about making your own decals. I've never even tried to make any.

David, just add whatever details you want to add. My main goal has been and will always be is perfect basics 1st. No amount of extra detail can make a poorly built model look better.

Joel
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2020 - 02:59 AM UTC
Nice work so far guys, i need to get moving.
heavyjagdpanzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 173 posts
Auto Modeler: 46 posts
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2020 - 03:12 AM UTC
This is my entry. A Revell 1/25 Mustang Funny car. I have already started this kit. Assembling the engine and painting the frame is as far as I have got. I am going to use Slixx decals to depict a slightly earlier paint scheme. I used a MAD (Morgan Automotive Detail) distributor that was pre-wired and breathers from Speed City resin models.
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2020 - 03:43 AM UTC
After I finish the A-Wing (about half done already) I'll be re-enlisting for this GB. Still TBD on what though.

Possibilities:
Tamiya Zakspeed D&W Capri
AMT Cougar Dragster
4 Monogram NASCAR Thunderbirds #6 Valvoline, 16 Family Channel, 94 Thunberbat, 94 Mac Tonight
Monogram 1979 IMSA Mustang - Ford Motorport
Revell 1990 IMSA Mustang - Folgers
Tamiya Benetton Ford B192
Tamiya Williams FW-24 (This is the clear body one, will be painted though)

Thoughts?

This place is like the mafia, I thought I was out, but you guys keep pulling me in.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2020 - 05:19 AM UTC
David,
that's quite a spread to choose from. Just pick which one is your current favorite type of racing. My issue is that as long as the cars turn, I'm hooked on that form of racing.

Joel
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2020 - 06:04 AM UTC
Welcome Bill!
I saw a version of the Blue Max race many years ago in the UK.

Damian thank you for the ribbon design and posting it!

rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2020 - 07:41 AM UTC
Time to start my gasser build, 1937 Chevy cpe. First pic of the box top, next is the basic engine block and heads, the head on the left is the kit part no detail at all the one on the block is mine from my 3D printer not great but it is an improvemet i think. Let me know what you think.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2020 - 09:05 AM UTC
Robert,
I do like your 3D printed head as it seems to have more mass, and proper alignment spots for the headers.

Joel

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2020 - 10:12 AM UTC
Wow guys, what a start!

Quoted Text

This GB is going to be a huge, and I mean huge mental health high Octane boost for me.

Joel, this is such an important point right here. If this thread can help any or all of us to maintain a degree of normality and hope right now, we can all be proud!

Neil, excellent choice and great to see another "Dad and lad" build on the way. The black scheme is always elegant and menacing!

Richard, great to see work under way on the old Merc. I'm really looking forward to following your additions and modifications coming together.

Bill, another "straightline" speed demon is always good to see, rolling this one over from the Blue Oval will hopefully see it reach the finish line.

Quoted Text

This place is like the mafia, I thought I was out, but you guys keep pulling me in.

David, seriously, there was no way that you were going to get out of this one. I don't know what you were thinking!
Zakspeed Capri gets my vote!

Robert, gotta love the old Chevy. Classic lines. I'm with Joel, the 3D head looks nicer.

Keep the updates coming folks, this is great stuff!

Cheers, D
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2020 - 10:54 AM UTC
Thanks guys, the head that came with the model appeared a little small almost like a small block.
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2020 - 11:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

David, seriously, there was no way that you were going to get out of this one. I don't know what you were thinking!
Zakspeed Capri gets my vote!

Cheers, D

That is the one I was leaning towards even though it is a curbside, but going to see if I can score a set of Jaegermeister decals instead of the D&W kit decals. I think the orange will pop and Gravity Paints has it available.
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2020 - 02:10 PM UTC
And here I am, I jumped in the driver's seat again, this time replacing Tony Stewart in 2003 season at the wheel of his Chevrolet Monte Carlo.
First I took the major decisions on the body: all shut and no safety pins. When I had that established, I glued the trunk lid and the engine hood, adding the spoiler in the process too. The kit is unbelievable simple and easy-going. The mold masks are masterfully disguised as panel lines / edges. The black marks are all the seam lines this body has.

with the glue on the engine drying, I attacked the engine. Pretty rich detail, intelligently molded and great super-detailing potential.

Before even noticing, the engine was assembled. The fit is near perfect. I'm not going for super'detailing on this one, because it's going to be under close hood, but that injection pump and distributor are really begging!

Meanwhile the glue on the dried up, and I sanded the seam lines - very easily - then the entire body with 1000 and 3000 grit Tamiya sponges. As a side note: the fitment is so good that I had to re-scribe the panel lines on the hood and trunk - they were welded!

Engine accessories with useless chrome which I promptly sanded before primer:

The body primed with Mr. Surfacer 1500 gray + MLT: the usual suspects there, the gritty spots - but in meager number on the flat surfaces.

Next problem it was the lack of any orange. I mixed some from Rust-oleum red and yellow - a little tricky here because the red isn't all that red but I came as close as I could to the Home Depot orange. A quick test on the plastic spoons showed me that I need at least 2 coats or I need some enhancing undercoat. I decided for 2 coats of base color. I'm gonna lose a lot of time with these, because they are oily and they dry slowly.

ENgine painted with Testors Steel and Gunmetal lacquers, then assembled and detailed. More detailing follows after clear coating:

Just another side note: the instructions are very well laid and the grouping of the parts on the threes is as logical as it gets. For instance here all the wheels parts in one three, and nothing else:

I painted these wheels too with gloss black, but I haven't took a picture yet, then moved forward to the chassis assembly. The radiator and the shift stick are simple businesses, with two parts each. Now, how they found a chromed rubber boot it's above my humble understanding:

Primed dried and wet sanded to a semi-gloss finish; the pimples on the roof were aggressively removed and a new coat of primer it's needed there. Anything else is silk and pimple free.

Fingers crossed, this is one of the best AMTs I ever work on.

Gabriel
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2020 - 02:21 PM UTC
Nice work Gabriel you got a lot done and fast to.
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2020 - 02:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work Gabriel you got a lot done and fast to.

Thanks, Robert! I have to credit AMT / Ertl for that. Zero fitting issues so far, well organized sprues, faultless instructions.

Gabriel