The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Strip, Track & Trail Official Build Thread
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2020 - 08:17 AM UTC
Gabriel,
The 2K coat really has some super shine. I say that you really nailed it for sure.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2020 - 08:21 AM UTC
Richard,
the brass metal engine cover really came out perfect. Just one question. Did you consider just thinning out the molded part? That's the route I would have taken as I truly suck at metal fabrication.

Joel
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
Auto Modeler: 409 posts
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2020 - 08:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Richard,
the brass metal engine cover really came out perfect. Just one question. Did you consider just thinning out the molded part? That's the route I would have taken as I truly suck at metal fabrication.

Joel

Thinning crossed my mind for about two seconds!
The panels will be hard to thin evenly also I want to solder the hinged joints.
Two fabrications to design is the louvers on the panels and also the hinges ( with or without?)
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2020 - 08:41 AM UTC
"There is a chance that the next will be a beefed up Scirocco if suits the rules of the GB.
Gabriel [/quote]"

Gabriel can you post some photos of the Scirocco?
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2020 - 09:15 AM UTC
Richard,
This just goes to prove how limited my mind set when it comes to scratch building. I've had limited success thinning thick molded stock parts. Then I usually turn to sheet plastic.

Honestly, that would be my only options as I've never been successful working with Metal fabrication. PE is about the only metal I've ever worked with, and there were times when I totally screwed them up.

Joel
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2020 - 11:59 AM UTC
Great work on the clear Gabriel nice shine, Richard i always look forward to seeing your updates, nice scratch building.
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 12:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gabriel,
The 2K coat really has some super shine. I say that you really nailed it for sure.
Joel

THenks, Joel! Under close examination, there are a few "sugar grains", unfortunately mostly on the hood / front fender arches. That will not pass my QC. Needs sanding and polishing but - you know - nothing outside routine.

Quoted Text

Gabriel can you post some photos of the Scirocco?

Probably these are the most relevant pictures from the box art. For sure it's a street racer, but not sure if was participating in any legal competition in this setup. Improvising racing numbers shouldn't be a problem:

Thanks, Robert!

Gabriel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 01:24 AM UTC
Gabriel's question does bring up a very interesting issue. That of Street Racing. While technically illegal here in the good old USA, it's been going on since two guys wanted to know whose bucket of Bolts was the faster of the two cars. I confess that while in College, I did my fair share of street racing with my slightly tuned 1966 Pontiac LeMans.

I watch on cable tv a weekly show about Street Racing clubs racing on the streets of Memphis Tennessee. Way to big of an operation as they haul their cars via trailers that the local Police Dept. doesn't close down the out of the way road for them. Some cars have a ton of graphics, and some none.

We never stipulated one way or the other about street racing, but it does exist in a major way. So Richard as the leader of the GB is going to have to make a ruling.

You can tell from my rather checkered past, which way I'd vote.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 02:13 AM UTC
With the beautiful weather today compared to yesterday's hordendous massive rain storms and constant winds with gusts to 70 mph, my hopes of laying down the color coat for the body shell, wings, and various other parts was a no go. Unfortunately for me, my model room window where my paint booth vent, vents the paint gases to the outside, faces right into the direction of those winds. And honestly, until it air conditioner time, I'm at the mercy of the weather God's humidity, and yesterday was a massive humid day.

But today is a perfect painting day. Gotta be today, as another round of rain & wind is on the schedule for tomorrow.

A few days ago I primed all the parts needing to be painted with the Gravity Camel Lotus Honda Yellow: GC 158 with my go to primer: Mr. Finisher's #1,500 thinned 2 parts primer to 3 parts Mr. Hobby #400 leveler thinner. One day to cure, then a very light wet rub with Tamiya #3000 sponge, followed by a wipe down in some Iso Alcohol, and they're ready to go.

Joel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 02:23 AM UTC
Just so you guys know that I'm still in the race, just lagging a bit with timing trouble!

Literally 30 seconds in a ziplock bag and the chrome vanished, then a warm soapy bath and rinsed and dried.

The glossy cream primer was scraped and sanded away from the mating surfaces of the de-chromed parts, then the engine was assembled. The difference in colour is clear with the previously chrome parts being quite a bit darker, but the same colour plastic under the primer.

The engine fits together beautifully, with no adjustments needed and just a couple of small gaps requiring a bit of sprue goo to tidy them up. Primer next then a range of metallics.

And one for Gabriel! His NASCAR Pontiac has a Chevy V8 in it, and my Chevy Pro Sports has a Pontiac V8 in it!

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 04:42 AM UTC
D,
Nicely done.

I also use Oven cleaner to strip model chrome plating in min. Just remember to wear gloves while transferring the de-chromed parts to a water bath. Getting doses of oven cleaner on your hands depending on one's sensitivity to the caustic chemicals is something that should be avoided. Believe me, I only know this all to well.

Joel
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 06:56 AM UTC
Time for an update, i got a little done on the body, i added the front inner and outer fenders, rear fenders, grille filler and removed some seems.

Engine got the butter flies added and fuel line from the pump to a fuel block near the hat, also added the plug wires and the blower belt, the belt is a little loose but it's super glued in oh well.

Damian started his build by stripping, think about that for a second, lol, i do the same on my chrome works great.

Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Auto Modeler: 431 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 07:05 AM UTC
Joel - great to see you're moving right along!

Damian, nice! I like that the kit includes the Lenco tranny! cool. Looking forward to seeing it painted up

Robert, wow, you just keep upping the game on engines! I like that belt you made - really looks the part!

Cheers
Nick
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 07:14 AM UTC
Thanks Nick.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 08:14 AM UTC
Robert,

Now that's one impressive engine. The blower hat really looks great with the butterfly valves added, same for the fuel line, and the belt.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the body.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 08:17 AM UTC
Nick
Thanks for the thumbs up, it's greatly appreciated.

Spent nearly two hours in the paint shop. Pictures tomorrow.

Joel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 09:17 AM UTC
Joel, glad to see you getting over your hardship(s) and progressing with the build. It seems like a little, but I know it's a lot of work involved in a rigorous body prep. Waiting for further updates!

Damian you achieved there a nice fitment. I just find amusing the difference between the parts that were coated and the parts that weren't. I don't know why, but that's me! Neat assemble. Nicely done!

As for the rocker covers, yes, I drew the short straw again Right so, are you going to strip these too, because the stamped writing looks a little drown under thick chrome 😈

Robert, the body work it's shaping nicely, but that engine... Oh, may!

Gabriel
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 10:45 AM UTC
Joel, Gabriel Thanks guys. Now i have to check and see if the engine will clear the hood my guess is no.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 11:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gabriel's question does bring up a very interesting issue. That of Street Racing. While technically illegal here in the good old USA, it's been going on since two guys wanted to know whose bucket of Bolts was the faster of the two cars. I confess that while in College, I did my fair share of street racing with my slightly tuned 1966 Pontiac LeMans.

I watch on cable tv a weekly show about Street Racing clubs racing on the streets of Memphis Tennessee. Way to big of an operation as they haul their cars via trailers that the local Police Dept. doesn't close down the out of the way road for them. Some cars have a ton of graphics, and some none.

We never stipulated one way or the other about street racing, but it does exist in a major way. So Richard as the leader of the GB is going to have to make a ruling.

You can tell from my rather checkered past, which way I'd vote.

Joel

My input is based on Rule 1.
1.All entry's must have a racing number somewhere on the body, or be identifiable as a dedicated race vehicle (sponsorship markings or modifications).
Roll cage, exhaust, flares, air dam, spoiler, Recaro seat, steering wheel, these are generally not the modifications that would be put on a shopping trolley!
I fully defer to Richard as GB leader, but I would say yes.

Cheers, D
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 11:53 AM UTC
Just two weeks in and there are so many great builds going on in this campaign (some almost finished, Gabriel! ) and I can't even get started.
Joel, looking forward to the Camel Lotus being a keen F1 fan and you're off to strong start as the primer looks very smooth.
I think Gabriel's VW should be a starter. No pressure Richard, the mob is baying
Damian, who knew that even with self cleaning ovens these days there still a place for oven cleaner in the world. If I was AMMO by Mig or AK productions, I would rebottle in to a 50ml bottle and sell for $10!
Robert, that engines looks fantastic. Love the detail on the cables etc.

cheers
Michael
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 11:54 AM UTC

My input is based on Rule 1.
1.All entry's must have a racing number somewhere on the body, or be identifiable as a dedicated race vehicle (sponsorship markings or modifications).
Roll cage, exhaust, flares, air dam, spoiler, Recaro seat, steering wheel, these are generally not the modifications that would be put on a shopping trolley!
I fully defer to Richard as GB leader, but I would say yes.

Cheers, D[/quote]

How about a rule tweek Damian:-

Street racing builds will be allowed after the builder has completed a build following the group build Rule 1

Comments welcome.

Gabriel that means you will able build at least 5 more entry's
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 11:58 AM UTC
I'd have to say yes as well. For example, rally cars are street legal as they have valid registration plates, headlights, taillights, brake lights, wipers and horns, etc.
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 12:56 PM UTC
Thanks Michael.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 01:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Damian started his build by stripping, think about that for a second, lol, i do the same on my chrome works great.

Robert, I thought we all worked naked, one of the benefits of a solitary hobby

Beautiful work on the powerplant there mate, it really does look good! Quick question, how do you detail paint the fins on the rocker covers? Is that a pin-wash or a solid cover then wipe off the top of the fins? It really adds a lot to the overall look.

Great start on the body work as well, classic lines on the old Chevy!

Joel, really good to see the paint started on your build, looking forward to the colour coats now!

Richard, superb custom work, your metal workshop has moved from milling to sheetmetal very smoothly!

Gabriel, so close to the chequered flag already! The decals look to have settled very nicely, and that gloss coat is beautiful. Great work!

Stay safe everybody, and keep the updates rolling in!

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 01:44 PM UTC
Speaking of updates!

Running update on builds

2 weeks in, already almost 3300 views and over 220 posts
19 enlisted (plus 1, Jesper sign in please mate!)
12 builds in progress

Aussiereg (Damian) - STRAIGHTLINE - '55 Chev Pro Sportsman (Charles Carpenter) - 1/25 Revell kit - Parts clean-up and sub assemblies
Joel_W (Joel) - FORMULA 1 - Lotus 99T Honda (Ayrton Senna 1987) - 1/20 Tamiya kit - Body work commenced, primer coat on
Joel_W (Joel) - INDY - enlisted - Lola T-8800 Newman Haas (Mario Andretti 1988) - 1/25 AMT kit
Dixon66 (David) - ENDURANCE GROUP 5[/b] - Zakspeed Capri - 1/24 Tamiya kit - Paint on order, repairs, mods and scratch detailing under way
tinbanger (Richard) - GRAND PRIX - 1914 Mercedes Racer - 1/16 Lindberg kit - Engine and chassis started, major panel works under way, custom milled wheels/tyres and sheetmetal panels started
md72 (Mark) - INDY - enlisted - Target Reynard (Jimmy Vasser) - 1/25 Revell kit
Szmann (Gabriel) - NASCAR - Chev Monte Carlo (Tony Stewart) - 1/25 AMT/ERTL kit - Body decalled and clear coated, ready for final assembly
Szmann (Gabriel) - NASCAR - Pontiac Grand Prix (Kyle Petty) - 1/24 Revell/Monogram kit - Floor pan primed, engine assembled and painted, body painted, decals commenced
Szmann (Gabriel) - ROAD/STREET - Volkswagon Scirocco - 1/25 AMT kit - Under consideration
Hwa-Rang (Jesper) - NASCAR - (TBA)
PasiAhopelto (Pasi) - NASCAR - enlisted - Olds 442 (Donnie Allison) - 1/25 Salvinos JR kit
forest1000 (David) - FORMULA 1 - enlisted - Williams Renault (Jaques Villeneuve) - 1/24 Revell/Monogram kit
jimb (Jim) - STRAIGHTLINE - '57 Ford Sedan Gasser - Engine, chassis, wheels completed and interior assembled
Cosimodo (Michael) - ENDURANCE - enlisted - 1971 Porsche 917/20
bluebell914 (Patrick) - ENDURANCE - enlisted - Ferrari P4 or 512S
2002hummer (Darrell) - GRAND PRIX - enlisted - Lotus Super Seven (Tamiya)
TacFireGuru (Mike) - NASCAR - enlisted - Chev Monte Carlo (Home Depot)
Stickframe (Nick) - ENDURANCE - McLaren F1 GTR Longtail - 1/24 Aoshima kit - Body surgery and scratch detail mania commenced
Lakota (Don) - ENDURANCE - Corvette C7.R - 1/25 Revell kit - Engine assembled, floor pan/chassis under way
RedwingNev (Neil) - GRAND PRIX - enlisted - Lotus 79 (1978 Mario Andretti?) - 1/20 Tamiya kit
rv1963 (Robert) - STRAIGHTLINE - '37 Chevy Gasser - 1/25 AMT kit- Engine complete, 3D printed & custom milled parts, body work commenced
heavyjagdpanzer (Bill) - STRAIGHTLINE - Blue Max Funny Car - 1/25 Revell kit - Engine and Cage completed
bmwh548 (Radu) - RALLY - '99 WRC Subaru Impreza - 1/24 Tamiya kit - Wheels and tyres

If anybody has changed or firmed up their proposed builds, or spotted anything wrong in the list, please let me know.

Cheers, D