The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Strip, Track & Trail Official Build Thread
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 - 12:48 AM UTC
Wow i am gone for a few days and you guys got a lot done, Gabriel is near the finish line, Joel got some paint on already, looks good Joel, Nice work on that detail painting carbon decals Nick and Damain is doing body work, nice work all of you.

Got some body work done on the 37, worked on the hood it was 2 parts not shore why, cut the hole and added the scoop, removed the bulge and chrome detail from the side of the hood and moved the headlights from the side of the hood to the tops of the fenders, also removed the door hinges.

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 - 01:51 AM UTC
Robert,
Talk about making progress. You've actually got quite a lot done on the body. I'm truly impressed.

Joel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 - 12:35 PM UTC
Joel, thank you for the vote of confidence!

Robert, very nice mods on your car's body. Definitely looks better now

UPDATE Tony Stewart crossed the finish line...
I redid the windows, after I stripped all the previous paint and Pledge in a bath of Windex. Since I was working two models at once, I needed to be sure which is which:

The body was polished already, all it needed was some Tamiya Wax and some decent pics. And there you have them!

And that was that!
If I find, by any chance, dcals or decal paper until the end of the campaign, I will upgrade the build accordingly. If not, so be it!

Gabriel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 - 01:03 PM UTC
Congrats on getting across the line with this build Gabriel, it really is striking in the orange/black scheme, and the final result with the decals and detail painting complete the picture beautifully.

A quick question for those with more knowledge than me, what is the correct colour for the underside of the fibreglass bodies on these cars? I have been trying to find an answer for my '55 Pro Sports before I launch into primer and paint, and I see that yours looks to be a "natural" fibreglass sort of tone.

Robert, very nice work on the body of the '37, it is coming together well!

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 - 01:15 PM UTC
By my calendar we are 3 weeks in and with the first completed build in the books.

Running update on builds

3 weeks in, over 4500 views and over 250 posts
19 enlisted (plus 1, Jesper sign in please mate!)
12 builds in progress
1 completed build

Szmann (Gabriel) - NASCAR - Chev Monte Carlo (Tony Stewart) - 1/25 AMT/ERTL kit - COMPLETED

Aussiereg (Damian) - STRAIGHTLINE - '55 Chev Pro Sportsman (Charles Carpenter) - 1/25 Revell kit - Parts clean-up and sub assemblies
Joel_W (Joel) - FORMULA 1 - Lotus 99T Honda (Ayrton Senna 1987) - 1/20 Tamiya kit - Body painted
Joel_W (Joel) - INDY - enlisted - Lola T-8800 Newman Haas (Mario Andretti 1988) - 1/25 AMT kit
Dixon66 (David) - ENDURANCE GROUP 5 - Zakspeed Capri - 1/24 Tamiya kit - Paint on order, repairs, mods and scratch detailing under way
tinbanger (Richard) - GRAND PRIX - 1914 Mercedes Racer - 1/16 Lindberg kit - Engine and chassis started, major panel works under way, custom milled wheels/tyres and sheetmetal panels started
md72 (Mark) - INDY - enlisted - Target Reynard (Jimmy Vasser) - 1/25 Revell kit
Szmann (Gabriel) - NASCAR - Pontiac Grand Prix (Kyle Petty) - 1/24 Revell/Monogram kit - Floor pan primed, engine assembled and painted, body painted, decals commenced
Szmann (Gabriel) - ROAD/STREET - Volkswagon Scirocco - 1/25 AMT kit - Under consideration
Hwa-Rang (Jesper) - NASCAR - (TBA)
PasiAhopelto (Pasi) - NASCAR - enlisted - Olds 442 (Donnie Allison) - 1/25 Salvinos JR kit
forest1000 (David) - FORMULA 1 - enlisted - Williams Renault (Jaques Villeneuve) - 1/24 Revell/Monogram kit
jimb (Jim) - STRAIGHTLINE - '57 Ford Sedan Gasser - Engine, chassis, wheels completed and interior assembled
Cosimodo (Michael) - ENDURANCE - 1971 Porsche 917/20 - 1/12 MFH kit - Unloaded from packing crates
bluebell914 (Patrick) - ENDURANCE - enlisted - Ferrari P4 or 512S
2002hummer (Darrell) - GRAND PRIX - enlisted - Lotus Super Seven (Tamiya)
TacFireGuru (Mike) - NASCAR - enlisted - Chev Monte Carlo (Home Depot)
Stickframe (Nick) - ENDURANCE - McLaren F1 GTR Longtail - 1/24 Aoshima kit - Body in primer, rolling chassis complete
Lakota (Don) - ENDURANCE - Corvette C7.R - 1/25 Revell kit - Engine assembled, floor pan/chassis under way
RedwingNev (Neil) - GRAND PRIX - enlisted - Lotus 79 (1978 Mario Andretti?) - 1/20 Tamiya kit
rv1963 (Robert) - STRAIGHTLINE - '37 Chevy Gasser - 1/25 AMT kit- Engine complete with 3D printed & custom milled parts, body work commenced
heavyjagdpanzer (Bill) - STRAIGHTLINE - Blue Max Funny Car - 1/25 Revell kit - Engine and Cage completed
bmwh548 (Radu) - RALLY - '99 WRC Subaru Impreza - 1/24 Tamiya kit - Wheels and tyres

If anybody has changed or firmed up their proposed builds, or spotted anything wrong in the list, please let me know.

Cheers, D
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 - 01:17 PM UTC
Thanks guys.
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 - 01:22 PM UTC
Most fiberglass bodies are an off white color if it's left in it's raw state and not painted. Congrats on a model well done Gabriel.
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 - 01:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Congrats on getting across the line with this build Gabriel, it really is striking in the orange/black scheme, and the final result with the decals and detail painting complete the picture beautifully.

A quick question for those with more knowledge than me, what is the correct colour for the underside of the fibreglass bodies on these cars? I have been trying to find an answer for my '55 Pro Sports before I launch into primer and paint, and I see that yours looks to be a "natural" fibreglass sort of tone.

Cheers, D

Thanks, Damian! Yes, I like the Home Depot livery, and there are some other interesting ones in the NASCAR as well, like Interstate Batteries, to name just one that caught my attention.

Watching NASCAR crashes, I noticed that the fiberglass seems not to be painted underneath - that's why I left my car's body unpainted in the areas hat are not visible. On the edges it is just over-spray from painting the main body, the inside of the cockpit was painted black.
Since I was working on boat industry, I know the unpainted fiberglass it's yellowish, sometimes more brown (especially the older one) or milky - translucent, also with a yellowish tinge on the newer boats. Most commonly, the fiberglass isn't let bare in the acces areas because it releases irritating "glass dust", but it's powder coated on the expensive vessels or clear coated on the cheaper ones. The exterior surfaces are always polished and powder coated with white in most of the cases. The out of reach areas are usually left untreated, they are yellowish and very rough in appearance, sometimes with strands from the reinforcing mesh on the surface.

Gabriel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 - 01:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Congrats on a model well done Gabriel.

Thanks, Robert!
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 - 01:43 PM UTC
Nice progress Robert and I like the changes you have made.

Great build Gabriel. That colour combination looks stunning and while I am not a particular NASCAR fan you've a excellent job on this build. Looking forward to the other one being completed.

cheers
Michael
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 - 01:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great build Gabriel. That colour combination looks stunning and while I am not a particular NASCAR fan you've a excellent job on this build. Looking forward to the other one being completed.

cheers
Michael

Thanks, Michael! Honestly, I know close to nothing about NASCAR - if I've learnt anything about, it's happened during this build. However, I'm getting hooked by the colour schemes and by the way this models are conceived, with all the internal structure easy to display and quite attractive.

Gabriel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 - 02:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Watching NASCAR crashes, I noticed that the fiberglass seems not to be painted underneath - that's why I left my car's body unpainted in the areas hat are not visible. On the edges it is just over-spray from painting the main body, the inside of the cockpit was painted black.
Since I was working on boat industry, I know the unpainted fiberglass it's yellowish, sometimes more brown (especially the older one) or milky - translucent, also with a yellowish tinge on the newer boats. Most commonly, the fiberglass isn't let bare in the acces areas because it releases irritating "glass dust", but it's powder coated on the expensive vessels or clear coated on the cheaper ones. The exterior surfaces are always polished and powder coated with white in most of the cases. The out of reach areas are usually left untreated, they are yellowish and very rough in appearance, sometimes with strands from the reinforcing mesh on the surface.

Quoted Text

Most fiberglass bodies are an off white color if it's left in it's raw state and not painted.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've done a little bit of fibreglass repair work on boats in the past, and I recall the beige/yellow/brown raw colour. I'm trying to work out whether the underside of the shell on the Pro Sportsman was painted at all. I imagine that the inside of the cabin area would be painted black, but would that be carried through into the front and rear body areas?

Cheers, D
RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
Auto Modeler: 28 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 - 09:00 PM UTC
Lovely model Gabriel. And your fibreglass colour on the inside looks spot on to me.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 - 02:04 AM UTC
Gabriel,

Congratulations on crossing the finish line. The Stewart/Home Depot car is a true looker. The interior effort really has paid off as it's another highlight of your build. The paint scheme and decals really catches one's eye.

Looking forward to seeing your Hot Wheels car cross it's finish line as well.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 - 02:30 AM UTC
D,

Depending on the year of the build is what the body shell was made of. Nascar from the days after they stopped using actual Detroit cars that you bought at a local car dealer, they went with tube frames that teams fabricated themselves, or bought them from one of two resources. One was front steering, while the other was rear steering. That terminology was based on where the steering rack was located in reference to the front axle line. The bodies were all custom fabricated out of good old sheet metal. Hence, you always saw them banging away in the pits to fix a accident with a baby sledge hammer.

As of the 2018 season I believe, Nascar mandated a spec chassis and a spec body shell that looked like one of the 3 manufacture sponsors. These bodies were composites comprised of Fiberglass, Kelvar, and a few other high tech substances. Front and rear clips had to be a lot tougher then side panels, roofs, trunk & engine compartment components.

So Gabriels two Nascar stockcars are Fabricated out of sheet metal, while today's cars are composite based.

With that said, the drivers compartment was always painted, but not the engine and trunk compartments other then the chassis tubing within them. Almost no team wasted time painting areas that generally wasn't seen. And as an added bonus, the saved about 10 lbs per gallon of paint.

So if you're not painting the lower parts of the body, then going with dirty Aluminum is a very safe option.

Joel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 - 03:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Lovely model Gabriel. And your fibreglass colour on the inside looks spot on to me.

Thanks, Neil! The interior color of the body it was a fluke. It is only over-spray from painting the exterior - my intention it was to let in unpainted.
As Joel pointed out, the bodies from that era - 3rd gen NASCAR were made from aluminum sheet, so my inside of the body it is pretty much wrong.

Joel, Thank you very much for your accolades!
The assumption is the mother of all evil I seen the uni-body structure of the car and I jumped to the conclusion that it was fiber. However, the other assumption that the inside of the shell should be left unpainted it was correct. I had no intention to replicate anything there - it is just overspray.
Unprotected aluminum has a tendency to oxidize to light-medium grey very fast and I guess semi-gloss medium gray will be the appropriate colour to simulate the "raw" interior of the shell?

Gabriel
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 - 04:21 AM UTC
Great info from Joel. AS far as i can remember i have never done a some what modern Nascar 1990's to today in all my years of model building, maybe i can find one cheap with a simple paint scheme.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 - 04:26 AM UTC
Gabriel,
Going light Gray vs oxidized Aluminum sheet should work well. Just keep in mind that the vast majority of cars needed some kind of bodywork after just about every race, especially on tracks shorter then 1 mile. Big money teams usually went for a new quarter panel, compared to teams trying to save every penny, and would patch whenever possible. Bondo and paint got these cars back on the track even over night.

But even then the new quarter panels were usually pre-fab for quick use and then paint. So they very well could have oxidized.

Either way you go, you're ok.

Joel
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 - 05:04 AM UTC
Made some time from my busy, hectic schedule of being on furlough to get some scratchbuilding practice in.

The kit only provides the black portion of the rollcage, everything forward of the main hoop is non-existent. I used 80 thou/2mm Evergreen rod to build up the rest. You won't be able to see much of it once it is buttoned up.

Not 100% accurate, but close enough to look the part.
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 - 05:20 AM UTC
That roll cage looks really good.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 - 05:25 AM UTC
David,
Now that's really impressive. All the joints seem to be nice and flush. Did you sand the ends of the tubes so that they're concave?

Joel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 - 05:26 AM UTC
David, the cage looks much more "complete" now. Great improvement I shall say!
I might encounter the same problem on my VW Scirocco - I haven't assembled the frame yet - but watching the instructions I can tell the frame it's just a sketch. How did you bent the styrene rod? I see no stress marks there - very neat!

Gabriel
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Auto Modeler: 431 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 - 06:04 AM UTC
Hi guys,

Robert nice work on the body - specifically in getting the hood together without a seam showing - nice!

David, yes! great to see you building a "real" rollcage -looking good

Gabriel, well, you took off with the lead and finished with a real winner - your NASCAR looks sharp! I really like the color saturation you achieved, really nice.

I finished the GTR. I painted it with Vallejo Signal Blue, which, as you'll see is a midnight blue, which I think better represent the real car's black body at this scale, than the black options I had handy (NATO Black and another I've used several times, but am sick of using) So, please take a look, some indoor and some outdoor images - I think the color shift between the lighting conditions is interesting:

I'll add the windshield wiper and antenna - just forgot about them. In conclusion, this is a pretty nice but not great kit. It went together well, and was easy enough for me to modify a bit without causing major problems.

The GB has been fun too - really great to see such a wide variety of high quality builds!

Stay well gents, and happy model building!

Cheers
Nick
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 - 06:45 AM UTC
Nick,
I'm really impressed with your build. You did a fantastic build for sure. The engine detailing really adds quite a lot, but at this point I always expect your builds to be loaded with engine and interior detailing.

Not sure about the color as it most certainly has a dark bluish hue to it. Like you said, the real car is gloss black, and you're well within your Modeler's license to change the overall tone of the paint. Personally, I do like it as Black is Black. Mine kit has the McLaren Gulf markings which certainly will be a challenge for sure.

Joel
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 - 07:17 AM UTC
Well done Nick, i think you did an amazing all around build, congrats on finishing so fast.