The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Strip, Track & Trail Official Build Thread
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 - 11:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am going to have to beg off. It seems that between outside garden/lawn work and a sudden loose of interest in model building I know I will not have it finished by Oct 1.

Darrell, I'm sorry to hear that your build has stalled and that you've hit a wall with the hobby. Please stay in touch with us here, we would love to hear from you, and hopefully your fire will be rekindled soon.

Stay safe.

Cheers, D
2002hummer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 812 posts
Auto Modeler: 108 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 - 04:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I am going to have to beg off. It seems that between outside garden/lawn work and a sudden loose of interest in model building I know I will not have it finished by Oct 1.

Darrell, I'm sorry to hear that your build has stalled and that you've hit a wall with the hobby. Please stay in touch with us here, we would love to hear from you, and hopefully your fire will be rekindled soon.

Stay safe.

Cheers, D

D, I am still keep my membership up and check daily on this site. I find it interesting and do get hints etc on how to improve my builds. Once the white stuff hit the ground here in Canada I think i will have more time and reason to hit the building bench and finish the started models. The Lotus would be a good candidate for a Garage Queen GB. I still have a couple of part built models the might qualify for some type of GB. Thanks for the encouragement.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2020 - 03:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

D, I am still keep my membership up and check daily on this site. I find it interesting and do get hints etc on how to improve my builds. Once the white stuff hit the ground here in Canada I think i will have more time and reason to hit the building bench and finish the started models. The Lotus would be a good candidate for a Garage Queen GB. I still have a couple of part built models the might qualify for some type of GB. Thanks for the encouragement.

Good stuff Darrell, it is just as important that we have folks following and watching and dropping the odd supportive comment so I'm glad that you will be keeping an eye on us!

Well, we have rolled over into October so the chequered flag has waved! I know Michael is still slaving away with his magnificent Pink Pig, but I don't believe that anybody else is still in-progress and close enough to finishing to warrant and extension? The other builds listed as in-progress have all stalled and been shelved for various reasons from what I can see.

Our Group Leader Richard (tinbanger) is dealing with real life complications so I will give it a couple of days and then award the ribbons for the completed builds.

Michael, as I've said, don't rush to complete your build. You have been contributing consistently on an epic build since the start of proceedings, and your ribbon will be awarded when you complete the kit to your satisfaction.

I can honestly say that I am awestruck by the success of this Group Build, and that is all down to the consistent contributions by everybody who participated with a build or just posting messages of support. Huge thanks to each and every one of you.

I am working on the content for the photo feature now, using the images posted in this thread of the completed builds, but if you have any other images you would like to see included, please post them here as well.

Cheers, D
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
Auto Modeler: 409 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2020 - 10:53 AM UTC
Great builds every one!
I would like to thank Joel and Damian for taking over the group build and all their dedication.
See you all at the next GB!
Take care!
Removed by original poster on 10/06/20 - 15:09:39 (GMT).
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2020 - 03:11 AM UTC
Gabriel,
Between the eye surgeries and associated issues, I totally missed your crossing the finish line with your Tyrrell P34. You did simply an outstanding job on the build. Needless to say I'm more then just impressed.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2020 - 03:23 AM UTC
Guys,
Sorry for my sort of disappearing from the site, and the GB. I'm still struggling with eye issues even after the cataract surgery. Officially legally blind in the left eye as there's nothing much that can be done. The right eye has a brand new lens, but the Retina Disease and the Molecular Degeneration is still causing all sorts of on going issues. I'm now taking those horrid monthly eye injections to slow down or even halt both diseases, but neither is curable.

On the site front, for some reason the last few pages are hidden behind the new post tab, so I missed those posts until I made a post and couldn't find it. Is anyone else having this issue?

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2020 - 03:40 AM UTC
Michael,
I'm just blown away at your progress to date. The completed interior looks amazing. Can't wait to see a few full body pics.

Patrict,
Read both of your posts about the Protar kit. Back in those days, fit issues were super common, and with the aging of these kits, the plastic gets more brittle as does the decals. Glad to read that you're just giving it a few days rest, then back to the battle. I'm betting that you will win and end up with a spectacular display model.

I know that there's still 3 more pages, but I can get past page 47 to read them.

Joel
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 08, 2020 - 02:13 PM UTC
All you guys did some really great work, I have not been around much but I have been following along on the progress.

I am sorry to hear of your eye problems Joel I really hope you can get some relief we really don't want to loose you hear at the forum you are a big part of what goes on hear.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, October 08, 2020 - 04:38 PM UTC
Time to wrap this one up folks (with the exception of the Pink Pig!)

END OF PROCEEDINGS

50 pages with over 34,000 views and 1230 posts
20 enlisted
10 builds in progress
17 completed builds
Blue entries are links to separate dedicated Build log threads, more detail on each build to be found there!

Szmann (Gabriel) - NASCAR - Chev Monte Carlo (Tony Stewart) - 1/25 AMT/ERTL kit - COMPLETED
Stickframe (Nick) - ENDURANCE - McLaren F1 GTR Longtail - 1/24 Aoshima kit - COMPLETED
Szmann (Gabriel) - NASCAR - Pontiac Grand Prix (Kyle Petty) - 1/24 Revell/Monogram kit - COMPLETED
rv1963 (Robert) - STRAIGHTLINE - '37 Chevy Gasser - 1/25 AMT kit- COMPLETED
jimb (Jim) - STRAIGHTLINE - '57 Ford Sedan Gasser - COMPLETED
Joel_W (Joel) - FORMULA 1 - Lotus 99T Honda (Ayrton Senna 1987) - 1/20 Tamiya kit - COMPLETED
pnance26 (Patrick) - FORMULA 1 - Ferrari 312T - 1/12 Tamiya kit - COMPLETED
Dixon66 (David) - TOURING GROUP 2 - 2006 Mustang GT- 1/25 Revell kit - COMPLETED
Dixon66 (David) - ENDURANCE GROUP 5 - Zakspeed Capri - 1/24 Tamiya kit - COMPLETED
Aussiereg (Damian) - STRAIGHTLINE - '55 Chev Pro Sportsman (Charles Carpenter) - 1/25 Revell kit - COMPLETED
Joel_W (Joel) - GT3 - Audi R8 LMS (2015) - 1/24 NuNu kit - COMPLETED
pnance26 (Patrick) - ENDURANCE - Porsche 956 Le Mans 1984 - 1/24 Tamiya kit - COMPLETED
Szmann (Gabriel) - TOURING - Lotus Europa "Wing" - 1/24 YODEL kit - COMPLETED
Szmann (Gabriel) - FORMULA 1 - Tyrrell P34 (Monaco 1977 #4) - 1/20 Tamiya kit kit - COMPLETED
md72 (Mark) - INDY - Target Reynard (Jimmy Vasser) - 1/25 Revell kit - COMPLETED
PasiAhopelto (Pasi) - RALLY - enlisted - Datsun Fairlady 240Z - 1/24 Hasegawa kit - COMPLETED
heavyjagdpanzer (Bill) - STRAIGHTLINE - Blue Max Funny Car - 1/25 Revell kit - COMPLETED

Joel_W (Joel) - FORMULA 1 - Lotus 49B (Rob Walker 1968) - 1/20 Ebbro kit - Nose clip painted, required further work. Shelved for the time being
tinbanger (Richard) - GRAND PRIX - 1914 Mercedes Racer - 1/16 Lindberg kit - Body primed, test fitting sub assemblies
Hwa-Rang (Jesper) - NASCAR - (TBA)
PasiAhopelto (Pasi) - NASCAR - Olds 442 (Donnie Allison) - 1/25 Salvinos JR kit - Chassis/ tub/cage assembled and primed, body painted. Decal issues halted proceedings
forest1000 (David) - FORMULA 1 - enlisted - Williams Renault (Jaques Villeneuve) - 1/24 Revell/Monogram kit
Cosimodo (Michael) - ENDURANCE - 1971 Porsche 917/20 - 1/12 MFH kit - Steps 1-21 plus 25&28 of 28 completed, fine detail of rolling chassis and main body parts test fitting
bluebell914 (Patrick) - ENDURANCE - enlisted - Ferrari P4 or 512S
2002hummer (Darrell) - GRAND PRIX - Lotus Super Seven (Tamiya) - Engine assembled and painted, body BRG paint issues, swimming in paint stripper
TacFireGuru (Mike) - NASCAR - enlisted - Chev Monte Carlo (Home Depot)
Lakota (Don) - ENDURANCE - Corvette C7.R - 1/25 Revell kit - Engine assembled, floor pan/chassis under way
RedwingNev (Neil) - GRAND PRIX - enlisted - Lotus 79 (1978 Mario Andretti?) - 1/20 Tamiya kit
bmwh548 (Radu) - RALLY - '99 WRC Subaru Impreza - 1/24 Tamiya kit - Wheels and tyres
bomber14 (Joe) - STOCK CAR - '60 Ford Starliner - AMT/ERTL kit - Rolling chassis/interior done, body paint under way. Personal injury holding up progress.
rv1963 (Robert) - TRANS-AM - '73 Mustang - 1/25 MPC kit- Parts prep, front end modifications
pnance26 (Patrick) - FORMULA 1 - Ferrari 312T2 - 1/12 Protar kit - Painting and fitting sub assemblies and tiny details, delicately dealing with the frustration of 40yo brittleness

Ribbons have been awarded, huge congratulations and thanks to all who contributed with builds and support. I'm working on resizing and captioning the images for the photo feature.

Everybody needs to head on over to the "Dreams are Free" Group Build now and make that as epic as this one.

Cheers, D
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2020 - 01:31 PM UTC
Pink pig is not too far away.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2020 - 01:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Pink pig is not too far away.

Great to hear mate, can't wait to see the final updates.

Cheers, D
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 766 posts
Auto Modeler: 140 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 - 04:04 AM UTC
Where are these "ribbons" located? I see nothing different about my profile or header.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 - 12:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Where are these "ribbons" located? I see nothing different about my profile or header.

Hi Patrick.

If you go to your profile, there is a vertical bar on the RHS labelled "MY AWARDS" and your ribbons are found there. If you click on the ribbon itself it will take you to the Group Build or Campaign Page.

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2020 - 01:17 PM UTC
Well, I've got 80 images prepared for the Photo Feature here, just waiting on the Pink Pig to complete the picture.

I still haven't had work from Jim regarding the date for changeover to the new site, but it has already occurred on the Model Shipwrights forums so we can't be too far away.

The photo feature for this Group Build might just be the "Last Hurrah" for the old Automodeler forums.

I know that there has been some angst regarding the new site, and there will always be a degree of anxiety around such significant changes to what has been a solid and regular part of our lives for so long, but the change is inevitable and I really hope we can all embrace it and use it to grow the AutoModeler community further.

I have been exploring the new forum platform for a while now, and it is seriously easy to use once you dig in to the options. I have cpoied my BMW 507 thread across, but my other long-term threads will just pick up where I left off here with a "most recent update" post and link to the old thread.

Cheers, D
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2020 - 02:59 AM UTC
The new forums look boring as all hell... no soul. They are the same red and white and font type as the old Scale Auto forums. Nothing unique like we see here.

Sometimes change is not for the better.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2020 - 08:21 AM UTC
I agree Patrick, at the moment it looks very bland, but I'm sure it will get busy with advertising and other features as the changeover progresses. At the moment it's only the Model Shipwrights forum that has fully moved across with the site here archived.

Also, you can change from "LIGHT" to "DARK" default in your user interface.

Such a significant change is never quick or simple.

Cheers, D
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2020 - 12:44 PM UTC
Is the "Jim" that is the site admin the same Jim Haught that was over at Scale Auto and FSM?
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2020 - 01:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is the "Jim" that is the site admin the same Jim Haught that was over at Scale Auto and FSM?

No, Jim Starkweather is El Supremo here.
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2020 - 12:59 AM UTC
Thanks.