The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Strip, Track & Trail Official Build Thread
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 - 05:50 AM UTC
The Final Update

Well, the Audi R8 LMS GT3 crossed the finish line this morning. A build that I completely enjoyed from the green flag to the checker flag. The fit of 99% of the parts was perfect. The only issue I had was getting the chassis 4 mounting pins to slide into their respective mounting holes in the body. Honestly, it was mostly my fault as the build up of various coats of paint was the major culprit. The fit was so tight and accurate that the diffuser was a tad to tight to slide into its proper position as well under the rear deck without a little light scraping. Still, I needed more pressure then I thought was prudent, but just when I was ready to take a break, everything literally just popped into place. The fit is just simply outstanding.

As I mentioned during the build, my main focus has been, is, and will be the paint job from primer prep to the final coat of wax. Honestly, the Audi is my best over all paint job to date. i still have a ways to go, but as long as I keep on making progress, I'm looking forward to each and every build.

Now comes the hard part of actually having to decide on my next build, and getting started on it.

Thanks to all of you that have stayed the course, and especially to those that have also posted. I can assure each of you that it's greatly appreciated.

Joel

pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 766 posts
Auto Modeler: 140 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 - 06:49 AM UTC
Excellent work and I really like the photos!

Next builds are always hard to decide.
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 - 07:21 AM UTC
Excellent job as always.

In regards to the base, I don't think those have ever run at the Brickyard. LOL However, it really has crossed the finish line.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 - 08:49 AM UTC
Patrick,
So glad that you like how the Audi R8 turned out.

I'm still mulling over what I want to build now. I've been on a 2 tin top to one open wheel, well sort of. But there's nothing on my bench right now.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 - 08:53 AM UTC
David,
Thanks so much for the thumbs up, as it's always greatly appreciated.

I only had one free 1/24 scale display case which had the brickyard yard of bricks. I guess I'll have to switch it out with another build. Most have clear bases, so I'll paint it Black or Red.

Joel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 - 11:01 AM UTC
Sensational build Joel, super clean work and a wonderful finish! Congrats on getting your second completion here and thanks as always for sharing so much detail on your process along the way.

I know you're focussed on race subject matter, so I will throw in a suggestion for you!

Whatever you decide to drop on your bench next, I'm sure to be following!

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 - 11:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here is an update on my build:-

Some painting done on the motor.
I have resin printed the seat sub-frame(kit had a bench seat) and also the steering box and column which was not included in the kit.
Keep up the great builds every one!

Richard, really wonderful to see you getting a little bit of progress on your build, I hope you are staying safe and well there!
Neat paint job on the engine, and the 3D printed parts look very nice. Are they your own design or did you find them somehow?

Keep up the great work.

Cheers, D
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 - 01:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I know you're focused on race subject matter, so I will throw in a suggestion for you!

Whatever you decide to drop on your bench next, I'm sure to be following!

Cheers, D

Huh, a Chevy, I never would have guessed!

I've actually contemplated picking this kit up. Is it any good?

Jim
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
Auto Modeler: 409 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 - 01:15 PM UTC
Thanks Damian
Moving slowly but hope to post more soon.
I designed the parts on my computer and the down load them to my 3D resin printer.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 - 01:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Huh, a Chevy, I never would have guessed!

I've actually contemplated picking this kit up. Is it any good?

Jim

I haven't built this one yet, but it looks very nice in the box and the builds I have checked out look great and pretty good reviews.

The good thing about this kit is that it is a 57/150 (without the big chrome side flash) and you can build it as a stock standard version as well.

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 - 01:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Damian
Moving slowly but hope to post more soon.
I designed the parts on my computer and the down load them to my 3D resin printer.

Nice work mate. This technology certainly adds another dimension to our hobby (if you have the smarts to be able to drive it)!

Cheers, D
PasiAhopelto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 514 posts
Auto Modeler: 44 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 - 04:37 PM UTC
Getting started with Olds 442 build:

So far easy build, but instructions and box contents don't exactly match. I think this is one of the older Salvinos kits, and it has leaf springs at back (is this correct?), although instructions are for newer style of rear suspension. I'm building this out of the box, so it has leaf springs. They have released correction sprue, and possibly other kits have corrected the issue. Anyway I have all of their four 442s in stash, so will see some day what the contents are in others...

Ready for red paint it is.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 - 06:07 PM UTC
That primer is looking mighty smooth Pasi, it's great to see you making some progress with your build here. Very nice work so far!

Looking forward to more progress reports, and nice shiny red paint.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2020 - 12:36 AM UTC
Richard,
It's great to see that you've finally found a little R&R time to do a little modeling. From the news feeds it sure seems that Canada is doing way better of a job containing the Virus then here in the USA where we led the world in every virus category

The engine block detail painting looks tremendous. Those twin seat resin castings certainly look like a major upgrade to the kits wrong bench seat.

Joel
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
Auto Modeler: 409 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2020 - 01:05 AM UTC
Thanks for the encouragement!
Yes Canada has kept the Covid under control to some extent,but we all have a long way to go.
I have used Milliput to make the leather seat covering,I will post photos soon.
Take Care!
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2020 - 01:08 AM UTC
D,
Thanks so much for your most positive comments, they're much appreciated. As well as being there for the full build from day 1 to the finish line.

Interesting option for my next build, as i still haven't made a decision. This is the hardest part of our hobby for me. I must have decided on 6 different builds since yesterday afternoon, but now I'm back to what to build mode

BTW, I do have my Dream Build picked out, but need to find and order the kit. I'll start it after my next build if finished which should be around the middle of Oct.

joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2020 - 01:38 AM UTC
Pasi,
Nice start to the Salvino Jr Olds 442 kit, which I believe are all the original Monogram kits with the molds cleaned up and even some new parts here and there.

I'm no expert on Nascar by any stretch of the imagination, as I'm not fond of sitting in front of my tv for 4 hours or so watching cars only turning left except for the two road races per year that I never miss.

From my limited knowledge base all the cars into the 1960s used the traditional leaf springs in the back end as the cars were all showroom bought cars as the rules demanded it. But the 60s saw some interesting changes in Detroit, the big 3 started to make race cars and sold them through the dealers. At some point the leaf springs were changed over to shocks and coil springs. Not all teams jumped at this new suspension as the leaf springs were a suspension that they were use to. Trying to learn a new rear suspension was pretty difficult, and the results really varied on the track. By the early 70s everyone was using or copying Banjo Mathew chassis, and thus all the cars had rear shocks and coil springs.

Joel
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2020 - 01:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

David,
Thanks so much for the thumbs up, as it's always greatly appreciated.

I only had one free 1/24 scale display case which had the brickyard yard of bricks. I guess I'll have to switch it out with another build. Most have clear bases, so I'll paint it Black or Red.

Joel

With the amount of underside detail, I'd use a clear base.
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2020 - 10:45 AM UTC
And across the finish line! Need to make one or two little cuts and the wing supports but this one is 99 44/100% finished.

Waiting for MicroSol to dry!

Thanks for all the help and support.

Official photos later...

I know the registration on the side numbers is off but that almost impossible to get straight!

Your comments are always welcome!
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2020 - 12:32 PM UTC
Patrick, your Porsche looks amazing, Joel, Great finish on that Audi, i wish i had time to build, but i am still following along, great work all around guys.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2020 - 02:28 PM UTC
Outstanding recovery on the 956 Patrick, it looks great! Congratulations on getting your second build across the line, awesome effort!

As we pass the 2/3 point in the Group Build, it would be a good time for . . . . . . . . .

Running update on builds

4 months in, 42 pages with over 23,450 views and now over 1000 posts
21 enlisted
12 builds in progress
12 completed builds

Szmann (Gabriel) - NASCAR - Chev Monte Carlo (Tony Stewart) - 1/25 AMT/ERTL kit - COMPLETED
Stickframe (Nick) - ENDURANCE - McLaren F1 GTR Longtail - 1/24 Aoshima kit - COMPLETED
Szmann (Gabriel) - NASCAR - Pontiac Grand Prix (Kyle Petty) - 1/24 Revell/Monogram kit - COMPLETED
rv1963 (Robert) - STRAIGHTLINE - '37 Chevy Gasser - 1/25 AMT kit- COMPLETED
jimb (Jim) - STRAIGHTLINE - '57 Ford Sedan Gasser - COMPLETED
Joel_W (Joel) - FORMULA 1 - Lotus 99T Honda (Ayrton Senna 1987) - 1/20 Tamiya kit - COMPLETED
pnance26 (Patrick) - FORMULA 1 - Ferrari 312T - 1/12 Tamiya kit - COMPLETED
Dixon66 (David) - TOURING GROUP 2 - 2006 Mustang GT- 1/25 Revell kit - COMPLETED
Dixon66 (David) - ENDURANCE GROUP 5 - Zakspeed Capri - 1/24 Tamiya kit - COMPLETED
Aussiereg (Damian) - STRAIGHTLINE - '55 Chev Pro Sportsman (Charles Carpenter) - 1/25 Revell kit - COMPLETED
Joel_W (Joel) - GT3 - Audi R8 LMS (2015) - 1/24 NuNu kit - COMPLETED
pnance26 (Patrick) - ENDURANCE - Porsche 956 Le Mans 1984 - 1/24 Tamiya kit - COMPLETED

Joel_W (Joel) - INDY - enlisted - Lola T-8800 Newman Haas (Mario Andretti 1988) - 1/25 AMT kit
tinbanger (Richard) - GRAND PRIX - 1914 Mercedes Racer - 1/16 Lindberg kit - Engine painted, chassis started, major panel works under way, custom milled wheels/tyres and sheetmetal panels started, custom #D printed interior parts
md72 (Mark) - INDY - Target Reynard (Jimmy Vasser) - 1/25 Revell kit - Parts Prep, sub assemblies started, parts painted, battling with stubborn decals
Szmann (Gabriel) - FORMULA 1 - Tyrrell P34 (Monaco 1977 #4) - 1/20 Tamiya kit kit - Engine complete, chassis plate and outer shell paint/decals
Hwa-Rang (Jesper) - NASCAR - (TBA)
PasiAhopelto (Pasi) - NASCAR - enlisted - Olds 442 (Donnie Allison) - 1/25 Salvinos JR kit - Chassis/ tub/cage assembled and primed, body primed
forest1000 (David) - FORMULA 1 - enlisted - Williams Renault (Jaques Villeneuve) - 1/24 Revell/Monogram kit
Cosimodo (Michael) - ENDURANCE - 1971 Porsche 917/20 - 1/12 MFH kit - Steps 1-8 of 26 completed, engine in tube frame, rear stowage assembly, steps 9-11 in progress with fine detail work. Near catastrophe with shell damage
bluebell914 (Patrick) - ENDURANCE - enlisted - Ferrari P4 or 512S
2002hummer (Darrell) - GRAND PRIX - Lotus Super Seven (Tamiya) - Engine assembled and painted
TacFireGuru (Mike) - NASCAR - enlisted - Chev Monte Carlo (Home Depot)
Lakota (Don) - ENDURANCE - Corvette C7.R - 1/25 Revell kit - Engine assembled, floor pan/chassis under way
RedwingNev (Neil) - GRAND PRIX - enlisted - Lotus 79 (1978 Mario Andretti?) - 1/20 Tamiya kit
heavyjagdpanzer (Bill) - STRAIGHTLINE - Blue Max Funny Car - 1/25 Revell kit - Rolling chassis completed, body painted
bmwh548 (Radu) - RALLY - '99 WRC Subaru Impreza - 1/24 Tamiya kit - Wheels and tyres
bomber14 (Joe) - STOCK CAR - '60 Ford Starliner - AMT/ERTL kit - Rolling chassis/interior done, body paint under way. Personal injury holding up progress.
rv1963 (Robert) - TRANS-AM - '73 Mustang - 1/25 MPC kit- Parts prep, front end modifications
pnance26 (Patrick) - FORMULA 1 - Ferrari 312T2 - 1/12 Protar kit - Unloading from truck

If anybody has changed or firmed up their proposed builds, or spotted anything wrong in the list, please let me know.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2020 - 05:29 AM UTC
Patrick,
I'd say that you really made a fantastic recovery with the decals, and this attempt looks dead on perfect. Well done, very well done.

As for the numbers between the rear engine deck and the main body, there's nothing you can do about it. It's just the nature of the beast as the parts don't line up perfectly. Even in real life, once the clips are loosened, you'll see some separation and the numbers become misaligned as well.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2020 - 05:33 AM UTC
D,
The numbers for the GB really are record breaking for sure.

Running update on builds

4 months in, 42 pages with over 23,450 views and now over 1000 posts
21 enlisted
11 builds in progress
12 completed builds

And there's still 2 more months to go. I'm sure hoping that the 11 in progress builds all make it to the completed builds. 32 models across the finish line, now that would really be something super special.

joel

Joel
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2020 - 09:25 AM UTC
And I'm starting #3 tomorrow...

I don't know if I will get across the finish line in the next 7+ weeks but I am going to try!

Protar 1/12th Ferrari 312T2 coming off the truck!
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2020 - 11:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And I'm starting #3 tomorrow...

Awesome effort Patrick, 3 builds in one Group Build !

I have added this one to the list above, looking forward to progress reports coming through.

Cheers, D