The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Strip, Track & Trail Official Build Thread
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 - 05:00 AM UTC
Pasi

Your 240Z is really starting to take shape. I'm positive that you'll still cross the finish line with time to spare.

Joel
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Auto Modeler: 555 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 - 05:16 AM UTC
Heee'sss baaacckk! Hi Joel!. Good to 'see' you again. Yes my surgery freed me from needing glasses to drive (Required in every state except Florida since 1970). But I pretty much have to have 2.5-3X readers under my Optivisor to do any good as a modeler. I have to ditch the 3X for my computer driven day job, even the 2.5 are restricting my depth of field too much I might need to step down a couple of notches for work.
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 - 01:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The level of detailing is incredible, right down to the ratchet strap on the spare tire.

And you are saying this all is part and parcel of the quality of an MFH kit? Including the twisted wiring? AMAZING.

Hi Patrick, thanks for the comments.
The electrical wiring was my addition. I just thought it would add something. That and the brass bands were mine, the rest is the kit.

Quoted Text

But... you had trouble with one of the side pods? First diaparaging remark I have ever seen regarding a fit issue in an MFH kit! They make mistakes? Perish the thought!

I wouldn't say it was a MFH error. I was always start with the premise it's usually builder error. The challenge with these kits is the amount of detail parts provided meaning you're having to align several different elements. Dry fit with the shell of the pod was straightforward. As you add the chassis attachment points, the fuel tank, the tank cover, rear wheel arch and side pod covers the margin for error is rapid reduced. The other factor is when dealing with metal components there is no give, either you've set them perfectly or you're redoing. I have faced that a lot on this kit. A great learning exercise for the next one.

cheers
Michael
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2020 - 02:47 PM UTC
Hi, guys!
My blitz on Yodel was won!
Here the result:

More details on the finishing steps of the build and an extended assessment on True Finish 2K resin on the dedicated thread.

One more build to go - Tyrrell has still parts on the sprues

Gabriel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2020 - 03:06 PM UTC
Excellent result! A blitz build on a very basic kit to "blow out the cobwebs" was a great idea, very well done.

Quoted Text

One more build to go - Tyrrell has still parts on the sprues

I was wondering when you were going to get back to that one!

Cheers, D
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2020 - 12:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent result! A blitz build on a very basic kit to "blow out the cobwebs" was a great idea, very well done.

Thanks, D.. It was more like a painting exercice, the model doesn't hold any value (from a modeller's perspective). It was a very pleasant waste of time, so to speak... (Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time says at the entrance in "my" villa)

Gabriel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2020 - 02:43 PM UTC
Nearly 30.000 views! OMG!

Not that is the scope of my visit, though but to announce that my Tyrrell P34 is back on track with a chance to finish the race...

More details on the build in the dedicated thread.

Gabriel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2020 - 01:50 AM UTC
Gabriel,
Your Yodel Europa really turned out better then just ok, I'd say you did some job on a very poor kit.

As for your Tyrrell P34, it's coming along quite nicely, and should be a real stunner when it crosses the finish line.

joel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 11:35 AM UTC
As we roll into the last month of this awesome Group Build, we have another 2 completions with a Tyrell P34 open-wheeler and a Lotus Europa "Blitz-build" by Gabriel!

Running update on builds

23 weeks in, 47 pages with over 30,000 views and 1150 posts
20 enlisted
13 builds in progress
14 completed builds
Blue entries are links to separate dedicated Build log threads, more detail on each build to be found there!

Szmann (Gabriel) - NASCAR - Chev Monte Carlo (Tony Stewart) - 1/25 AMT/ERTL kit - COMPLETED
Stickframe (Nick) - ENDURANCE - McLaren F1 GTR Longtail - 1/24 Aoshima kit - COMPLETED
Szmann (Gabriel) - NASCAR - Pontiac Grand Prix (Kyle Petty) - 1/24 Revell/Monogram kit - COMPLETED
rv1963 (Robert) - STRAIGHTLINE - '37 Chevy Gasser - 1/25 AMT kit- COMPLETED
jimb (Jim) - STRAIGHTLINE - '57 Ford Sedan Gasser - COMPLETED
Joel_W (Joel) - FORMULA 1 - Lotus 99T Honda (Ayrton Senna 1987) - 1/20 Tamiya kit - COMPLETED
pnance26 (Patrick) - FORMULA 1 - Ferrari 312T - 1/12 Tamiya kit - COMPLETED
Dixon66 (David) - TOURING GROUP 2 - 2006 Mustang GT- 1/25 Revell kit - COMPLETED
Dixon66 (David) - ENDURANCE GROUP 5 - Zakspeed Capri - 1/24 Tamiya kit - COMPLETED
Aussiereg (Damian) - STRAIGHTLINE - '55 Chev Pro Sportsman (Charles Carpenter) - 1/25 Revell kit - COMPLETED
Joel_W (Joel) - GT3 - Audi R8 LMS (2015) - 1/24 NuNu kit - COMPLETED
pnance26 (Patrick) - ENDURANCE - Porsche 956 Le Mans 1984 - 1/24 Tamiya kit - COMPLETED
Szmann (Gabriel) - TOURING - Lotus Europa "Wing" - 1/24 YODEL kit - COMPLETED
Szmann (Gabriel) - FORMULA 1 - Tyrrell P34 (Monaco 1977 #4) - 1/20 Tamiya kit kit - COMPLETED

Joel_W (Joel) - FORMULA 1 - Lotus 49B (Rob Walker 1968) - 1/20 Ebbro kit - Nose clip painted, required further work. Shelved for the time being
tinbanger (Richard) - GRAND PRIX - 1914 Mercedes Racer - 1/16 Lindberg kit - Body primed, test fitting sub assemblies
md72 (Mark) - INDY - Target Reynard (Jimmy Vasser) - 1/25 Revell kit - Major assembly stages, small paint lift to deal with
Hwa-Rang (Jesper) - NASCAR - (TBA)
PasiAhopelto (Pasi) - NASCAR - Olds 442 (Donnie Allison) - 1/25 Salvinos JR kit - Chassis/ tub/cage assembled and primed, body painted. Decal issues halted proceedings
forest1000 (David) - FORMULA 1 - enlisted - Williams Renault (Jaques Villeneuve) - 1/24 Revell/Monogram kit
Cosimodo (Michael) - ENDURANCE - 1971 Porsche 917/20 - 1/12 MFH kit - Steps 1-19 of 26 completed, major assembly of rolling chassis and crazy detail work
bluebell914 (Patrick) - ENDURANCE - enlisted - Ferrari P4 or 512S
2002hummer (Darrell) - GRAND PRIX - Lotus Super Seven (Tamiya) - Engine assembled and painted
TacFireGuru (Mike) - NASCAR - enlisted - Chev Monte Carlo (Home Depot)
Lakota (Don) - ENDURANCE - Corvette C7.R - 1/25 Revell kit - Engine assembled, floor pan/chassis under way
RedwingNev (Neil) - GRAND PRIX - enlisted - Lotus 79 (1978 Mario Andretti?) - 1/20 Tamiya kit
heavyjagdpanzer (Bill) - STRAIGHTLINE - Blue Max Funny Car - 1/25 Revell kit - Rolling chassis completed, body painted but back in the paint shop after decal problems
bmwh548 (Radu) - RALLY - '99 WRC Subaru Impreza - 1/24 Tamiya kit - Wheels and tyres
bomber14 (Joe) - STOCK CAR - '60 Ford Starliner - AMT/ERTL kit - Rolling chassis/interior done, body paint under way. Personal injury holding up progress.
rv1963 (Robert) - TRANS-AM - '73 Mustang - 1/25 MPC kit- Parts prep, front end modifications
pnance26 (Patrick) - FORMULA 1 - Ferrari 312T2 - 1/12 Protar kit - Painting and fitting sub assemblies and tiny details, delicately dealing with 40yo brittleness
PasiAhopelto (Pasi) - RALLY - enlisted - Datsun Fairlady 240Z - 1/24 Hasegawa kit - Sub assemblies and body prepared for priming

If anybody has changed or firmed up their proposed builds, or spotted anything wrong in the list, please let me know.

Cheers, D
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 03:16 PM UTC
Great update, D.

However, your table is wrong, because there are 14 completed builds!

You forgot about this one

Gabriel

Do I have time for another one?

Gabriel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 05:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great update, D.. However, your table is wrong, because there are 14 completed builds!You forgot about this one

Somehow I just knew that as soon as I posted the update, somebody would come along and drop a major progress report right behind it!

Well, I suppose I'd better go back and sort it out . . . . . . aaaaaaaaaaand . . . . . . DONE!

Well done Gabriel, another beautiful build! And with that, the Completed builds have overtaken the in-progress builds as well.

Quoted Text

Do I have time for another one?

Another two at the rate you are rolling them out right now, just try to find kits that aren't going to fight back all the way through!

Cheers, D
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 09:41 PM UTC
That looks amazing Gabriel especially since the troubles it gave you. Really glad you chose Depailler's car, the epitome of a 70's F1 driver.

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 09:46 PM UTC
Step 20 which highlights the completion of the interior and mechanicals. The rest is all body shell, front and back, and of course four wheels.

This step was the final parts for the cabin, including the dash, seats, gear lever and linkage, coils and battery box.

cheers
Michael
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 11:04 PM UTC
A very satisfying milestone to get the chassis and interior completed, and it really does look amazing Michael!

Cheers, D
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 766 posts
Auto Modeler: 140 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 06:35 AM UTC
Little by little, this kit is killing me...

Apparently, the two half shafts for the rear transmission are MIA. So I need to fabricate them. The fly in the ointment is I don't have the correct diameter rod. I ordered some today so it will be next week before some major progress on the rear suspension.

But the wheels detail out nicely...

And I am reworking the gold on the front suspension to be a little smoother...

Finally all those rubber wiring harnesses are starting to find their homes. Some are just ridiculous to get placed.

Thanks for looking and your comments are ALWAYS welcome!

PS I am trying to throw some paint on the main body parts. The NACA ducting is almost to the final coat point. Pics to follow.
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 06:36 AM UTC
Just beautiful, clean, amazing, well done... and a few other superlatives!
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 12:16 PM UTC
Damian and Michael, thank you so much.

On your turn, Michael, you're putting up a beautiful display! I just can't find flaws in the beautifully done build.

Patrick, your build looks intricate and "busy" - a beautiful displaying of detail work. Excellent!

Gabriel
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Auto Modeler: 555 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2020 - 07:03 PM UTC
Starting to look a bit like a race car.

Totally surprised by the yellow decal bending over the roll bar without a hitch after all the troubles with the decals on the driver.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2020 - 10:11 PM UTC
Looking good Mark, coming together very nicely now!

Quoted Text

Totally surprised by the yellow decal bending over the roll bar without a hitch after all the troubles with the decals on the driver.

Yeah, the roll bar decal overheard the language and threats being thrown at the helmet decals, and thought better of any form of resistance.

Cheers, D
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2020 - 06:09 AM UTC
Looking good, Mark!

I’m thinking I need a few more attachment points between engine and transmission bulkheads. So I’m drilling out and placing three posts.

I don’t of this one will make the finish line. We may be a lap or two short since another trip to Alaska is in the works last week of the month.

pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2020 - 09:10 AM UTC
I QUIT!

I need to build something that doesn’t effing break with every new assembly!

It’s either put in the box or get out a sledge hammer?

So the 312T2 is retiring due to mechanical difficulties!
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2020 - 02:48 PM UTC
That's tough Patrick since you had got pretty close. Still, building a car from an era when making the finish line was not always a given, you cab claim some historical accuracy with the breakages

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2020 - 02:50 PM UTC
Mark, it certainly does look like a race car. Get the pit crew to put some wheels on!

cheers
Michael
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2020 - 01:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's tough Patrick since you had got pretty close. Still, building a car from an era when making the finish line was not always a given, you cab claim some historical accuracy with the breakages

cheers
Michael

That is so true.

I probably will resume but I'm giving it a rest for a day or two!
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2020 - 12:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I probably will resume but I'm giving it a rest for a day or two!

Sometimes the best course of action. Recharge the batteries ready for a fresh approach.

Cheers, D