The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Strip, Track & Trail Official Build Thread
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2020 - 01:02 AM UTC
Mark,
Ever notice has those spots always seem to happen in the most visible spots? That's my luck as well.

Joel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2020 - 07:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gabriel, great to see another build hitting the track here, and definitely an unusual subject there! Checking on Scalemates it appears that your kit started out as an RC model. YODEL isn't a company that I have seen before, so it will be interesting to see how this one comes together. I have added your new build to the list in the initial post, taking us to 15 in-progress builds currently.

Cheers, D

Thank you, D.! Yes, the model still comes with an electric motor, but no sign of servos. The model is severely lacking in detail - especially on the undersides and interior - that is why I picked it for a "blitz". The shell looks decent I should say.

Quoted Text

Gabriel,
it's great to see you posting again with us. I for one have really missed having one of my buddies around.

Interesting build as the Lotus Europa wasn't a very popular sports racer in North America, but I'm sure that it had a greater following in Europe. I'll be heading on over to your build blog in a few.

Joel

Thanks, Joel! I'm glad I have again some time to spend in my old pals company - always a great pleasure.
It might be that Lotus Europa is more popular in Europe than in US, but still not so popular. The originally installed gutless Renault engine and the traditional British electric nightmare made the car undesirable. Even today, with all the collector's hype, can be bought "cheaply". Restauration is a dog because of the stressed skin construction, and the replacement of the engine very expensive. Despite the very good initial idea, the result was rather a flop. Yet no doubt it is very intriguing and interesting auto.
Myself I think this is most French British car ever: very nice Renault Alpine front end mated with a crash salvaged Citroen rear end

Mark, I agree with Joel here: should an accident take place, it will always be on the most visible spot of your model. (Murphy's law of modelling). Fortunately the position of the mishap allows for relatively easy repair.

Gabriel
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 766 posts
Auto Modeler: 140 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2020 - 01:19 AM UTC
Nothing to report this Saturday as this is my work week. I have been putting off repairs of a couple of kits until it gets cooler.

I might be able to get some primer on a couple of pieces tomorrow that really don't need any other work. But I may make a few patterns before I do just for spacing sake. The kit comes prepainted with the white and red on the main cowling so I may let them do my measurements!

Hot and smoky here... hope everyone here is okay!
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2020 - 01:46 AM UTC
Gabriel
Way, way back in the 1970s when I worked part time at Rascal Racing who also serviced foreign cars to make ends meet. I got to test drive a customers street Europa with the Renault engine/trans. I still remember just how low and how cramped the drivers compartment was. Back then I was all of 5'10" and weighted a whopping 150 lbs, and it was nearly impossible to get in and out. But boy did that car handle on the twisty roads.

I never did get a chance to drive the next model with the double over head Cam Ford 4 cyl.

What are your plans for the exterior and interior colors? Being a purest, I'm hoping that you're leaning towards BRG with a Black leather interior.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2020 - 02:04 AM UTC
Guys,
I'm putting the Lotus 49b on hold for now. what I thought was a perfect nose modification showed a pretty poor job of finishing the putty work once the 1st layers of color were applied. I applied a coat of Bondo #3 Glazing, followed by a coat of CA Gel. Sanded, polished, primed, and the issues still are visible to me while they don't show up in the photographs.

My Mojo for this build of a very early Ebbro release also has other issues such as the body is comprised of panels not a single main shell that has to be assembled around the driver's compartment pre-paint, and at least on my build has one alignment issue. So I just decided for the time being to let it become my 1st Shelf Queen in more then a few year's time. Got a feeling that the Lotus 49 of Clark will be seating on the shelf un-started for some time to come.

I've decided to start another Beemax curbside model on the Steroids: the BMW M3 E30 Evo II with some AM Goodies thrown in.

Right now my mind just seems to drift to Monday when I'm scheduled for my Cataract surgery. I'm starting to get a little shaky about it. 1st I'm struggling with all the eye drops per day pre surgery, as I suck at actually getting them into my eye. I don't want to tell you guys what the copays were, but my wife sure wasn't happy about the cost, and she'll need double my dose for her two eyes starting next month. And their chart has a 3rd eye drop to be added to the list multiple times per day for 4 more weeks.

Joel

Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2020 - 02:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Guys,
I'm putting the Lotus 49b on hold for now. what I thought was a perfect nose modification showed a pretty poor job of finishing the putty work once the 1st layers of color were applied. I applied a coat of Bondo #3 Glazing, followed by a coat of CA Gel. Sanded, polished, primed, and the issues still are visible to me while they don't show up in the photographs.

My Mojo for this build of a very early Ebbro release also has other issues such as the body is comprised of panels not a single main shell that has to be assembled around the driver's compartment pre-paint, and at least on my build has one alignment issue. So I just decided for the time being to let it become my 1st Shelf Queen in more then a few year's time. Got a feeling that the Lotus 49 of Clark will be seating on the shelf un-started for some time to come.

I've decided to start another Beemax curbside model on the Steroids: the BMW M3 E30 Evo II with some AM Goodies thrown in.

Right now my mind just seems to drift to Monday when I'm scheduled for my Cataract surgery. I'm starting to get a little shaky about it. 1st I'm struggling with all the eye drops per day pre surgery, as I suck at actually getting them into my eye. I don't want to tell you guys what the copays were, but my wife sure wasn't happy about the cost, and she'll need double my dose for her two eyes starting next month. And their chart has a 3rd eye drop to be added to the list multiple times per day for 4 more weeks.

Joel

These are some "heavy" news Joel.
First off: I wish you all best happenings for the eye surgery.
Second: if you gave up on a kit, it means that kit just doesn't worth the effort.
Third: I'm totally glad you can keep at it and start a new project.

P.S. I am totally shaky thinking of your surgery, let alone if would have been mine.

Gabriel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2020 - 05:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Guys,

Joel

These are some "heavy" news Joel.
First off: I wish you all best happenings for the eye surgery.
Second: if you gave up on a kit, it means that kit just doesn't worth the effort.
Third: I'm totally glad you can keep at it and start a new project.

P.S. I am totally shaky thinking of your surgery, let alone if would have been mine.

Gabriel

Gabriel,
Thanks for the support. You know how much it means to me.
BTW, just primed the Bimmer shell after I added some PE. Almost time for the afternoon eye drops.

Joel
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Auto Modeler: 555 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2020 - 05:57 AM UTC
Wow, your surgery sounds way more complex than mine was. Hang in there.
A wise modeler told me that model building was just problem solving. I'm sure you'll find a solution for those shelf queens.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2020 - 07:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, your surgery sounds way more complex than mine was. Hang in there.
A wise modeler told me that model building was just problem solving. I'm sure you'll find a solution for those shelf queens.

Mark,
Thanks for being in my corner, it's greatly appreciated. I'm sure that when I pick up either the 49 or the 49b I'll get through those issues. I'm just so use to the Tamiya F1 shells.

Joel
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2020 - 07:43 AM UTC
Joel, all best of luck on the surgery Monday. I hate eyedrops and can't wear contacts as I hate anything touching my eyes. The thought of surgery on them would send me running.
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2020 - 08:22 AM UTC
You've got this Joel!

I have looked forward to your posts and your support! Now if there is any way I can support you during these times, let me know!

Good luck, mate!
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2020 - 03:29 PM UTC
Joel, you've got a full pit crew supporting you here mate, we're all right behind you and hoping for the best result possible.

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2020 - 03:39 PM UTC
Well another week has flown by, bringing a new build with Gabriel and his Lotus Europa which is in paint already, but also a few setbacks with other builders (Joel, Bill, Mark) facing repair and repaint duties!

Running update on builds

22 weeks in, 46 pages with over 28,900 views and 1130 posts
21 enlisted
15 builds in progress
12 completed builds

Szmann (Gabriel) - NASCAR - Chev Monte Carlo (Tony Stewart) - 1/25 AMT/ERTL kit - COMPLETED
Stickframe (Nick) - ENDURANCE - McLaren F1 GTR Longtail - 1/24 Aoshima kit - COMPLETED
Szmann (Gabriel) - NASCAR - Pontiac Grand Prix (Kyle Petty) - 1/24 Revell/Monogram kit - COMPLETED
rv1963 (Robert) - STRAIGHTLINE - '37 Chevy Gasser - 1/25 AMT kit- COMPLETED
jimb (Jim) - STRAIGHTLINE - '57 Ford Sedan Gasser - COMPLETED
Joel_W (Joel) - FORMULA 1 - Lotus 99T Honda (Ayrton Senna 1987) - 1/20 Tamiya kit - COMPLETED
pnance26 (Patrick) - FORMULA 1 - Ferrari 312T - 1/12 Tamiya kit - COMPLETED
Dixon66 (David) - TOURING GROUP 2 - 2006 Mustang GT- 1/25 Revell kit - COMPLETED
Dixon66 (David) - ENDURANCE GROUP 5 - Zakspeed Capri - 1/24 Tamiya kit - COMPLETED
Aussiereg (Damian) - STRAIGHTLINE - '55 Chev Pro Sportsman (Charles Carpenter) - 1/25 Revell kit - COMPLETED
Joel_W (Joel) - GT3 - Audi R8 LMS (2015) - 1/24 NuNu kit - COMPLETED
pnance26 (Patrick) - ENDURANCE - Porsche 956 Le Mans 1984 - 1/24 Tamiya kit - COMPLETED

Joel_W (Joel) - FORMULA 1 - Lotus 49B (Rob Walker 1968) - 1/20 Ebbro kit - Nose clip painted, required further work. Shelved for the time being
tinbanger (Richard) - GRAND PRIX - 1914 Mercedes Racer - 1/16 Lindberg kit - Body paint first coat down
md72 (Mark) - INDY - Target Reynard (Jimmy Vasser) - 1/25 Revell kit - Major assembly stages, small paint lift to deal with
Szmann (Gabriel) - FORMULA 1 - Tyrrell P34 (Monaco 1977 #4) - 1/20 Tamiya kit kit - Engine complete, chassis plate and outer shell paint/decals
Hwa-Rang (Jesper) - NASCAR - (TBA)
PasiAhopelto (Pasi) - NASCAR - Olds 442 (Donnie Allison) - 1/25 Salvinos JR kit - Chassis/ tub/cage assembled and primed, body painted. Decal issues halted proceedings
forest1000 (David) - FORMULA 1 - enlisted - Williams Renault (Jaques Villeneuve) - 1/24 Revell/Monogram kit
Cosimodo (Michael) - ENDURANCE - 1971 Porsche 917/20 - 1/12 MFH kit - Steps 1-14 of 26 completed, major assembly of rolling chassis
bluebell914 (Patrick) - ENDURANCE - enlisted - Ferrari P4 or 512S
2002hummer (Darrell) - GRAND PRIX - Lotus Super Seven (Tamiya) - Engine assembled and painted
TacFireGuru (Mike) - NASCAR - enlisted - Chev Monte Carlo (Home Depot)
Lakota (Don) - ENDURANCE - Corvette C7.R - 1/25 Revell kit - Engine assembled, floor pan/chassis under way
RedwingNev (Neil) - GRAND PRIX - enlisted - Lotus 79 (1978 Mario Andretti?) - 1/20 Tamiya kit
heavyjagdpanzer (Bill) - STRAIGHTLINE - Blue Max Funny Car - 1/25 Revell kit - Rolling chassis completed, body painted but back in the paint shop after decal problems
bmwh548 (Radu) - RALLY - '99 WRC Subaru Impreza - 1/24 Tamiya kit - Wheels and tyres
bomber14 (Joe) - STOCK CAR - '60 Ford Starliner - AMT/ERTL kit - Rolling chassis/interior done, body paint under way. Personal injury holding up progress.
rv1963 (Robert) - TRANS-AM - '73 Mustang - 1/25 MPC kit- Parts prep, front end modifications
pnance26 (Patrick) - FORMULA 1 - Ferrari 312T2 - 1/12 Protar kit - Painting and fitting sub assemblies and tiny details, delicately dealing with 40yo brittleness
PasiAhopelto (Pasi) - RALLY - enlisted - Datsun Fairlady 240Z - 1/24 Hasegawa kit - Box unsealed in anticipation
Szmann (Gabriel) - TOURING - Lotus Europa "Wing" - 1/24 YODEL kit - Body in deep British Racing Green paint

If anybody has changed or firmed up their proposed builds, or spotted anything wrong in the list, please let me know.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2020 - 01:03 AM UTC
David, Patrick, & D,
Thanks guys for the support. It's D -1 and I'm getting a little leery, but I'm also looking to a positive outcome and being able to finally see correctly out of my one good eye.

What's killing me is the 3 eye drops that I have to use 3 times per day for a full month afterwards plus this past week. My insurance copay for them was $385 and I'll need two refills to make it all the way. The real killer is that my wife has both eyes scheduled for Cataract surgery next month, so her drop bills will be twice mine. Good thing we have all this insurance including one of the top Drug Plans from Medicare. Oh well, as I tell my wife, we can't take it with us when the time comes. And we've already put away enough to take care of our son no matter what.

See you guys on the other side Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest.

Joel
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Auto Modeler: 555 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2020 - 03:33 AM UTC
Take care Joel. That's a lot more complicated regime than I had, 2 drops 4x per day. Seems like insurance covered all but 1500-2000 for both eyes. Take all the time you need to get past the anesthesia.
Removed by original poster on 08/24/20 - 18:59:48 (GMT).
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
Auto Modeler: 409 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2020 - 07:02 AM UTC
Take care Joel!

Here is an update on my build, first coat of white decanted from spray bomb:-

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2020 - 03:26 PM UTC
Great to see some paint hitting the body on your build Richard, excellent!

I've update the most recent progress report.

Cheers, D
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2020 - 06:37 PM UTC
Richard, your Mercedes is looking great. The white looks very sharp.

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2020 - 06:43 PM UTC
A leap forward for the pink machine.
Steps 15, 16, 17, 18 and 19 completed.
These are the addition of the side pods, the rear wheel arches, the fuel tank and pumps and spare tire. Most of the work went into detailing the fuel system and getting the RH pod to fit.
The big picture

Upclose

and of course, you get the first real sense of the colour of the car.

cheers
Michael
PasiAhopelto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 514 posts
Auto Modeler: 44 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2020 - 08:48 PM UTC
Michael, that's just super level of detailing.

Meanwhile, ready for primer:

And there's one roll bar for safety...
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 - 01:57 AM UTC
The level of detailing is incredible, right down to the ratchet strap on the spare tire.

And you are saying this all is part and parcel of the quality of an MFH kit? Including the twisted wiring? AMAZING.

But... you had trouble with one of the side pods? First diaparaging remark I have ever seen regarding a fit issue in an MFH kit! They make mistakes? Perish the thought!

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 - 04:52 AM UTC
As you can see I'm some what back from yesterday's Cataract surgery. the actual surgery went perfectly, but the results so far aren't close to what I was expecting.

Besides having Cataracts, I have Molecular Degeneration, and Retina Edema in both eyes. So those two diseases have caused all sorts of other issues. In the right eye, my seeing eye, they removed the Cataract, and my vision is now as bright and with the same contrast as you all basically see. But the sharpness is only somewhat better. I can see now without glasses the same level of sharpness (no where near 20/20) that I saw with glasses before. I was hoping it would have been a lot better. I saw the Surgeon today and he told me that it takes a good week to get to the final results, so I've still got a chance for a better result.

As of this morning I couldn't read anything on my Cell phone, couldn't go on my computer and read any emails. I tried every pair of bi-focals I still have, and one very old pair corrects my computer screen just enough to read and type, but that's barely. And it's not the close up part of the bi-focal.

The surgeon said that I'm still going to need bi-focals but a less powerful subscription. However, my vision will never be what one should expect from new glasses.

Tried to work on a model, but it was basically useless.

Went to the Drug store and bought a pair of 2.50 readers for now so that at least I can use my phone. Thinking of trying a 1.50 pair to see if it helps with my computer screen issues for now.

Will be trying to stay up to date with the sites posts, but I get a headache pretty soon after using my ad hoc old glasses.

joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 - 04:55 AM UTC
Ricard,

Nice to see that you're making some headway with the paint. The 1st coat of White looks pretty good to these pretty old and tired eyes.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 - 04:58 AM UTC
Michael,
Oh Wow

the level of detail is just mind blowing. And your detail painting only adds to the realism. You sure that those aren't pictures of the real Pink Pig

All I can say is thanks for helping to make my day. And keep those pictures coming.

Joel