The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Strip, Track & Trail Official Build Thread
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2020 - 01:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have just realised that I should have posted a link to the huge project that Michael (Cosimodo) is undertaking as part of this Group Build.

Pretty in Pink is the dedicated build log thread for the Model Factory Hiro 1/12 Porsche 917/20, and it is essential reading for everybody if you have somehow missed seeing it.

Cheers, D

Thanks for the call out Damian.
I had plan to post at the completion of each step in the instructions, all 26 of them, to show progress.

cheers
Michael
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2020 - 01:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I had plan to post at the completion of each step in the instructions, all 26 of them, to show progress.

It will be an amazing thread and a wealth of information for anybody considering building one of the MFH kits!

I have a small stash of Revell/Monogram 1/12 Chevy kits to work through, and I can see that your build will give me plenty of inspiration and ideas on the detailing when the time comes.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 - 01:52 AM UTC
Michael,
I've at times for detailed GB builds gone with a build blog in the Car forum and just a quick post in the GB thread that a new update has been posted. Many members who aren't part of the GB never seem to visit it, and as you've said, it's very hard to follow a certain build with the format we use.

Joel
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 766 posts
Auto Modeler: 140 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 12:36 PM UTC
So the disaster wasn't quite as bad as was thought... I got things repaired and then the T up on her wheels. No time to progress for a week or so, so I am glad I got this far!

Your comments and criticisms are ALWAYS welcome!
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Auto Modeler: 431 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 01:43 PM UTC
Hi Patrick -

Between you and Michael going at the 1/12 kits, I'm feeling the need to try one some time! Nice save on the transaxle. The good news is you found the problem now, and not when it might be a real pain to fix! and, congrats on finding the parts after they made their escape from the kit! I build over a concrete floor - the upside, I can find most individual parts if I drop them - the downside - if I drop a big part of build - like an engine and transaxle, you can guess - always the possibility the whole thing will break!

Looking forward to your next post -

Cheers
Nick
Removed by original poster on 04/30/20 - 13:22:00 (GMT).
heavyjagdpanzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 173 posts
Auto Modeler: 46 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 01:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gabriel great build!
We still have over 5 months to go what are you going to build next?

Working on the "Bonnet" and the model ones are to thick to be modeled open so out comes the brass sheet:-

working on the exhaust side first as this will be built closed:-

Screwed to a piece of pine and drilled:-

The exhaust pipes makes pipe stand off from the body so trimming and reshape.

Pipe is also to short so I will extend it brass tube.

Also correcting the fuel tank:-

Take care all!

Some really nice fabrication work!
heavyjagdpanzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 01:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So the disaster wasn't quite as bad as was thought... I got things repaired and then the T up on her wheels. No time to progress for a week or so, so I am glad I got this far!

Your comments and criticisms are ALWAYS welcome!

That is a amazing engine!
heavyjagdpanzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 01:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Time for an update, i got a little done on the body, i added the front inner and outer fenders, rear fenders, grille filler and removed some seems.

Engine got the butter flies added and fuel line from the pump to a fuel block near the hat, also added the plug wires and the blower belt, the belt is a little loose but it's super glued in oh well.

Damian started his build by stripping, think about that for a second, lol, i do the same on my chrome works great.

Good looking engine.
heavyjagdpanzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 01:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks, Damian! Yes - and that's the feeble point. I was till to lazy to even attempt to print decals I found online - a whole sheet for under 10 USD - both yellow and white - but these times are not the best ones to shop around

Joel, yes, I've nailed it this time with my 2K. Please see the update.

UPDATE
The last two pieces which I almost forgot of - thankfully I had another look on the instructions before closing the case - the fuel filler pipe and the fuel hose were added. Removing the seams and polishing contorted clear parts it's exactly as exciting as it sounds like. Equally pleasing it's to paint straight silver lines on round clear parts. The fuel hose I painted orange for not having transparent yellow nor being kin to make some. Fortunately it's orange not green, otherwise Tony Stewart would have driven the only Diesel car in NASCAR.

Polishing the body ate my modelling time today, but it was sort of pleasant, because it worked! It's only now that I've noticed that 2 component Splash 2K it's softer than 3 component No Name 2K. The glossy surface broke very easy with 1000 Tamiya sanding sponge, then I jumped straight to 3000 grit. All worked, even the three compounds from Tamiya. Probably one of my best finishes of late, although I've ran into Joel's problem: I forgot how to photograph orange If I catch the glare, I cannot catch the hue... oh, well, tomorrow I'm going to play more with the settings. For now, the nearly completed build, before waxing because I need to clean again the windows and to touch up the white roof rails:

Cheers!
Gabriel

Great model.
heavyjagdpanzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 01:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys,

Robert nice work on the body - specifically in getting the hood together without a seam showing - nice!

David, yes! great to see you building a "real" rollcage -looking good

Gabriel, well, you took off with the lead and finished with a real winner - your NASCAR looks sharp! I really like the color saturation you achieved, really nice.

I finished the GTR. I painted it with Vallejo Signal Blue, which, as you'll see is a midnight blue, which I think better represent the real car's black body at this scale, than the black options I had handy (NATO Black and another I've used several times, but am sick of using) So, please take a look, some indoor and some outdoor images - I think the color shift between the lighting conditions is interesting:

I'll add the windshield wiper and antenna - just forgot about them. In conclusion, this is a pretty nice but not great kit. It went together well, and was easy enough for me to modify a bit without causing major problems.

The GB has been fun too - really great to see such a wide variety of high quality builds!

Stay well gents, and happy model building!

Cheers
Nick

That looks wicked!
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 01:41 AM UTC
Time for an update, I am in the primer stage, this primer is a bit heavy but good for filling scratches and other things we don't want to see, next i have to wet sand with 600, wash, dry and prime again with white primer with my airbrush. All comments welcome.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 03:25 AM UTC
Patrick,
Great save on the clip. Large scale really does have a few extra pluses to it. And the exhausts really look the part with the while paint. Again, the fit and alignment is dead on perfect.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 03:29 AM UTC
Robert,
The primer coat looks silky smooth and consistent. Should be a perfect base for the color coats.

Joel
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 04:31 AM UTC
Thanks Joel, this body came out better than i thought it would for an old dog of a kit.
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 04:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Patrick,
Great save on the clip. Large scale really does have a few extra pluses to it. And the exhausts really look the part with the while paint. Again, the fit and alignment is dead on perfect.

Joel

Thanks, Joel! (I am assuming you are the same Joel from the race-boards group... is that correct?)

Misfortune smiled on me that's for sure. It could have been a real disaster!

I have run into another snag. The only vendor for the correct sized screens for the intake plenums sent me back my money without explanation. And the MFH screens are far too large. May have to figure out how to make my own!

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 05:50 AM UTC
Patrick,
Yep that's me. I left you a PM but I guess you haven't seen it as yet. Upper right hand corner you'll see Inbox.

I've been here for almost 10 years, and somehow I managed to become a Moderator. Go figure that one out.

Like I said, if you like the other sight, you're going to love it here. Great group of guys, and we all share.

Joel
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 07:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Patrick,
Yep that's me. I left you a PM but I guess you haven't seen it as yet. Upper right hand corner you'll see Inbox.

I've been here for almost 10 years, and somehow I managed to become a Moderator. Go figure that one out.

Like I said, if you like the other sight, you're going to love it here. Great group of guys, and we all share.

Joel

I didn't get a PM from you.

I'm a member over on Armorama. I did one project a couple of years ago that went well. I am now in about 4 forums... here, SAE, race-boards, and Mediocre Modelers. I spend as much time posting as I do building! LOL!

Removed by original poster on 04/30/20 - 21:23:22 (GMT).
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 11:11 AM UTC
Patrick, great to see the rolling chassis complete, some really beautiful detail there and nice work rectifying the little error!

Robert the first shot of filler/primer is looking really good. A once-over wet sand and a shot of fine primer will have it glowing!

Well as expected for an endurance race, the mad scramble at the start has eased up and we are settling in for the long haul now. Keep the updates coming in guys, as always there is a lot of high quality work going on here.

Running update on builds

1 month in, almost 7000 views and over 350 posts
20 enlisted (plus 1, Jesper sign in please mate!)
11 builds in progress
3 completed builds

Szmann (Gabriel) - NASCAR - Chev Monte Carlo (Tony Stewart) - 1/25 AMT/ERTL kit - COMPLETED
Stickframe (Nick) - ENDURANCE - McLaren F1 GTR Longtail - 1/24 Aoshima kit - COMPLETED
Szmann (Gabriel) - NASCAR - Pontiac Grand Prix (Kyle Petty) - 1/24 Revell/Monogram kit - COMPLETED

Aussiereg (Damian) - STRAIGHTLINE - '55 Chev Pro Sportsman (Charles Carpenter) - 1/25 Revell kit - Primer
Joel_W (Joel) - FORMULA 1 - Lotus 99T Honda (Ayrton Senna 1987) - 1/20 Tamiya kit - Body painted & decalled
Joel_W (Joel) - INDY - enlisted - Lola T-8800 Newman Haas (Mario Andretti 1988) - 1/25 AMT kit
Dixon66 (David) - ENDURANCE GROUP 5 - Zakspeed Capri - 1/24 Tamiya kit - Paint on order, repairs, mods and scratch detailing under way
tinbanger (Richard) - GRAND PRIX - 1914 Mercedes Racer - 1/16 Lindberg kit - Engine and chassis started, major panel works under way, custom milled wheels/tyres and sheetmetal panels started
md72 (Mark) - INDY - enlisted - Target Reynard (Jimmy Vasser) - 1/25 Revell kit
Szmann (Gabriel) - ROAD/STREET - Volkswagon Scirocco - 1/25 AMT kit - Under consideration
Hwa-Rang (Jesper) - NASCAR - (TBA)
PasiAhopelto (Pasi) - NASCAR - enlisted - Olds 442 (Donnie Allison) - 1/25 Salvinos JR kit
forest1000 (David) - FORMULA 1 - enlisted - Williams Renault (Jaques Villeneuve) - 1/24 Revell/Monogram kit
jimb (Jim) - STRAIGHTLINE - '57 Ford Sedan Gasser - Engine, chassis, wheels completed and interior assembled
Cosimodo (Michael) - ENDURANCE - 1971 Porsche 917/20 - 1/12 MFH kit - Unloaded from packing crates, parts clean-up and engine assembly commenced
bluebell914 (Patrick) - ENDURANCE - enlisted - Ferrari P4 or 512S
2002hummer (Darrell) - GRAND PRIX - enlisted - Lotus Super Seven (Tamiya)
TacFireGuru (Mike) - NASCAR - enlisted - Chev Monte Carlo (Home Depot)
Lakota (Don) - ENDURANCE - Corvette C7.R - 1/25 Revell kit - Engine assembled, floor pan/chassis under way
RedwingNev (Neil) - GRAND PRIX - enlisted - Lotus 79 (1978 Mario Andretti?) - 1/20 Tamiya kit
rv1963 (Robert) - STRAIGHTLINE - '37 Chevy Gasser - 1/25 AMT kit- Engine complete with 3D printed & custom milled parts, body in primer
heavyjagdpanzer (Bill) - STRAIGHTLINE - Blue Max Funny Car - 1/25 Revell kit - Engine and Cage completed
bmwh548 (Radu) - RALLY - '99 WRC Subaru Impreza - 1/24 Tamiya kit - Wheels and tyres
pnance26 (Patrick) - FORMULA 1 - Ferrari 312T - 1/12 Tamiya kit - Rolling chassis/engine/drivetrain complete

If anybody has changed or firmed up their proposed builds, or spotted anything wrong in the list, please let me know.

Cheers, D
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 01:08 PM UTC
Textual update for tonight since it has been a while.

Since the kit was molded in black the body received a 1500 gray primer last week and then yesterday a 1500 white one. I can't seem to see any flaws.

The bottom of the chassis is painted and detailed as far as intend to go with it. The upper side is base coated in flat black and will start getting detail painted and the roll cage added starting tomorrow.

According to tracking the decals should be here next Tuesday, but we'll see about that. I don't have confidence in Evil-bay.
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 02:06 AM UTC
And a couple quick pics this morning.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 03:08 AM UTC
David,
The body looks perfect in the white primer coat. What paint color and paint will you be using for your color coat?

One suggestion for the brake ducting is a black wash to add some depth to the accordion effect.

Joel
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 04:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

David,
The body looks perfect in the white primer coat. What paint color and paint will you be using for your color coat?

One suggestion for the brake ducting is a black wash to add some depth to the accordion effect.

Joel

Thanks Joel, Jagermeister Orange if the damned decals ever get here from Hong Kong. Otherwise, I'll have to decide which way to go, either one of the Wurth (no umlauts on my keyboard), Sachs or Pentosin schemes, whatever I can find another set of decals for. The Tamiya decal sheet is shot, it molded up in storage at my old house.

I plan on hitting the bottom with a light wash.

I guess if worse comes to worst, I could just paint it Orange and say it was just freshly painted and waiting for decals to be applied at the race shop.
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 08:11 AM UTC
Robert, the primer looks "solid" for sure. For one of my future builds I'm going to need some filler primer as well, but from Mr. Color I have only the 1500. I't the first time that I am going to use some Tamiya Surfacer as an airbrush primer. And I'm going to try the white.

David, the build looks very neat. Yes, I've read the answer you're stuck because no paint and no decals - that's a bummer because the preps are xcellent.

The sit behaves strangely for last 2 days. The right click on my laptop just doesn't work (in other apps works just fine); every time I use links to another content from the page kicks me out - "this site it's not available" - it reloads with refresh.
I had to re-write the whole answer from my Dacia build blog because the site "ate" half of my post. That's frustrating!

Gabriel