The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Strip, Track & Trail Official Build Thread
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 11:40 AM UTC
Great to see another entry hit the thread! Welcome Joe, looks like a very interesting project that you are taking on. I went for my usual Google exploration and found some great photos HERE, and a couple of extras that I like.

Good luck with the build, looking forward to more progress reports!

Jim, your rolling chassis has come together beautifully, and the interior is looking really good. I think that a blue/grey floor will really set off the white seats and door panels nicely!

David, nice detail work on the office there mate, looking good. The underside paint came up very well and the body in primer looks ready to go. It hurts to box these things up when you're on a roll, but you've got a plan and I'm sure it won't be shelved for long.

Joel, super work on the chassis plate and drive train so far. Neat paint work and the subtle variations in colour and gloss level set things off nicely.

Nothing much to report on my build, struggling to get bench time right now. I've been studying reference photos and looking at my pending paint job on the body, and I need to put a bit more black primer down in a couple of places (chrome trim on the bonnet and in the window recesses) to save some hand painting later.

Stay safe and keep the updates coming in!

Cheers, D
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 12:32 PM UTC
Thanks, guys. I appreciate it.

Jim
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 01:33 PM UTC
Looking great James. Cannot wait to see this one progress.

Thanks D., It'll finish one way or another.

James' build has me thinking about converting a Revell 2006 Mustang GT from the stash into a road racer.
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 03:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

James' build has me thinking about converting a Revell 2006 Mustang GT from the stash into a road racer.

Did a little research tonight and there is a Spec Mustang class in SCCA which would be doable. I think T2 could be done as well easily enough. Both classes keep most of the door cards intact and most of the factory dash.

The design of the Revell 2005-2007 Mustang interior lends itself to striping down to a bare interior. The center console and rear seats are separate parts and the floor pan would just need a few holes filled and locating tabs removed. Leaves a whole world of paint schemes available as well. The rollcage will be particularly difficult to scratch build though.

After I finish the wheels and seatbelts of the Capri I think I'm going to pull the box off the shelf and give it a good look.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 01:43 AM UTC
I've always named my computers Eagle for the 1st one that ran windows 95, then Eagle1 and the current model is Eagle5. Well, Eagle5 is home and back up running so far like a top.

All my diagnostics tests had the same results as my local IT guy. The strange problem is that I was attacked by a new Trojan that deleted Malwarebytes Professional and part of Bitdefender Virus suite, and I ened up with 6 Trojans buried deep in software. I'm back up now, reinstalled Malwarebytes Pro, and tweaked my Bitdefender suite, and all seems like a brand new computer.

No real hardware issues as I do clean Eagle5 every month. What's starting to show wear is my 600 Watt power supply, so I'm ordering a Corsair 650 watt unit to replace. Right now prices are sky high and product is hard to find.

Joel
bomber14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Auto Modeler: 23 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 04:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gabriel,
Didn't they just sell off the Monogram & Revell molds that are 1/24 scale, while their line is almost all 1/25 scale? That would make some sense.

Joel

Gabriel/Joel are you talking about Round2 (AMT/MPC) or Revell? I know revell sold off all their nascar molds to salvino's and they also made a 86-87 monte ss street version, but i have not heard of amt putting out a monte ss or selling any molds to salvino's. granted i have not been keeping up with all the goings on lately. i know though last year revell went bankrupt and a german company bought them but were not interested in the nascar molds. they made a deal and sold them to salvino. salvino now is not only making their own molds but re releasing the old monogram/revell kits too (at a higher price i might add) the revell kits are straight re releases, no mods done to the molds, which is good because it seems they can't get anything right with their own kits. they got dimensions and shape/sizes wrong from the very first kit and their chassis don't even fit the bodies.
i hope the new revell is able to expand and grow, i just hope they do not forsake the american genre of kit making.
bomber14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Auto Modeler: 23 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 04:59 AM UTC
thanks for the welcome everyone. damien the photos helped, the close up shown that the door handels were removed which is odd for a car of that era and i can see the exhaust dump is close up to the body which more or less confirms it probably went through the rail. just wish i could get definitive answer as to what shade of yellow it was.with the current situation (who else is suspicious of it all) i may have to go with the best yellow i have on hand.

there are some great builds going on here. i am excited to see all the finished results.i too am finding it difficult to find supplies. although i very rarely buy paints on line i do see a lot of out of stock listings on everything.
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 08:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gabriel/Joel are you talking about Round2 (AMT/MPC) or Revell? I know revell sold off all their nascar molds to salvino's and they also made a 86-87 monte ss street version, but i have not heard of amt putting out a monte ss or selling any molds to salvino's. granted i have not been keeping up with all the goings on lately. i know though last year revell went bankrupt and a german company bought them but were not interested in the nascar molds. they made a deal and sold them to salvino. salvino now is not only making their own molds but re releasing the old monogram/revell kits too (at a higher price i might add) the revell kits are straight re releases, no mods done to the molds, which is good because it seems they can't get anything right with their own kits. they got dimensions and shape/sizes wrong from the very first kit and their chassis don't even fit the bodies.
i hope the new revell is able to expand and grow, i just hope they do not forsake the american genre of kit making.

Joe, I was talking about Round2.
Here's the Monte Carlo I referred to:
https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Model_Cars/70-chevy-monte-carlo-ss-454/AMT00000928/product.php?kw=monte,carlo
In one of his YT videos, Doug from HPI Guys Workshop mentioned that the Salvino kit he was doing it was an old AMT (probably Ertl it was my guess).
I am familiar with Hobbico / Revell story and the Revell of Germany it's trying hard now to regain some market. Well, they didn't forget the American Muscle for sure - one of their first releases under new management it was Ford GT - not as good as Tamiya's but much cheaper. I'm not sure about what has become of Revell-Monogram. They keep releasing kits. Confusingly, they re-released Land Rover with roof racks right in the wake of Revell of Germany released the LWB version, with upgraded molds and new interior. It is not the same kit. Apparently the Revell Monogram management cannot find straight ways in business and that's disappointing. They just carry on the same policies had them bankrupted once. I certainly hope Revell of Germany can pick themselves up the way Airfix did with their aircraft kits.
Back to AMT now, I watched monthly their releases for the last two years and everything it's reboxing with Coca-Cola stickers. No new molds, no upgraded molds. The selected kits for re-release are also of dubious quality and accuracy. They replaced the quality with marketing bollocks: "molded in white for easy painting", "new improved decals = the same coca-cola decals in all boxes", "vintage package box" - that is they cannot afford new designs, "mini display box" - this one to misled the buyer that is a clear plastic display box inside. That's why I reach to think that they are pretty much done as a injection model company. I pray I'm wrong!

Gabriel
heavyjagdpanzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 173 posts
Auto Modeler: 46 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 01:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello all. i'm a long time viewer from the aeroscale side. finally decided to get involved here. although i been building WWII aircraft recently i actually started out building car, mainly nascar and some F-1 with some american muscle thrown in.
i'm going back to my root and throwing in with a 1960 ford starliner and will be converting it to a stock car. Fred Lorenzens ruppert safety belts stock car. i had already started it when i came across this group build and richard (tinbanger) was nice enough to let me join up, thank you Richard.
i will be scratch building or kit bashing a lot of components to turn it into a race ready car. here is some starting photos-

The kit:

20200503_104652[1]" BORDER="0">

i removed all the chrome from the rocker panels and fenders:
20200503_104806[1]" BORDER="0">

i will add more photos soon

Cool build! The Starliner is one of my favorite classic Fords.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 01:41 AM UTC
The only AMT kits i do buy are their old Indy car kits on ebay when the price is right. Not the greatest in details, and a little soft in molding, but pretty accurate, and there's a ton of AM decals and part upgrades.

I would buy a Salvino jr 1/24 scale Nascar kit, but not the 1/25 scale AMT kits as I'm really not a fan of that scale. So of course I still have a Revell Roush Mustang and a SCCA Camaro both in 1/25 scale in my stash.

Joel
heavyjagdpanzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 173 posts
Auto Modeler: 46 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 05:08 AM UTC
The Revell wheels and tires compared to the Competition Resins wrinkle wall slicks and correct Hailbrand wheels.
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Auto Modeler: 431 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 05:28 AM UTC
Hi Bill,

I went back a few pages and found your chassis and engine - nice!! The new tires and wheels will look great -

Cheers
Nick
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 05:46 AM UTC
Bill
the Competition Resins wrinkle tire looks amazing.

You guys are taking this GB to a whole new level.

Joel
2002hummer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 812 posts
Auto Modeler: 108 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 08:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bill

Joel

I agree and they are making me look like an amateur with my build. have to post some pictures shortly.
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 08:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bill

Joel

Ditto!
Removed by original poster on 05/07/20 - 16:53:05 (GMT).
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 766 posts
Auto Modeler: 140 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2020 - 01:58 PM UTC
Some how this became a NASCAR discussion... so let me pull us back to reality...

Tamiya 1/12th Ferrari 312T... tub and engine mated, oil and water lines mated, disaster on rear suspension averted, first two passes on the air box paint (not happy yet, so a little more fine sanding and another mist coat then wet coat. It is such a prominent feature, I'd like it to be perfect!)

Your comments and criticisms are ALWAYS welcome!
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2020 - 03:41 PM UTC
Beautiful gloss finish and colour on that paint job Patrick! Can you please fill us in on the paint type and process you use?

I hope you've got your head around where all of those tubes go, I've got a twitching eye just trying to figure it out

Cheers, D
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 766 posts
Auto Modeler: 140 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2020 - 04:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Beautiful gloss finish and colour on that paint job Patrick! Can you please fill us in on the paint type and process you use?

I hope you've got your head around where all of those tubes go, I've got a twitching eye just trying to figure it out

Cheers, D

To be honest the only thing painted so far is the airbox. The rest is raw plastic.

But here’s my system... I wash ALL my kits in warm water. Then, after filling and sanding down to 2000 grit, I use Tamiya primer. A couple of mist coats to find the flaws and a quick swipe where needed with sand paper. I also try to wear gloves when handling the “to be painted” piece.

I then spray down my booth with water, use a make up brush to dust the surface and canned air as well. I am pretty big on rattle cans, Tamiya to be precise. I warm up a pot of water in an old coffee maker and warm the rattle can.

I use a bunch of different turntables to do a mist coat from about 9 inches... wait 20 minutes... 2nd mist coat... 20 minutes... then a wet coat from same distance with a slower pass. Wait a couple of hours and inspect. I will resend starting at 150 all the way to 2000. Then repeat if necessary.

It’s my most OCD step after being such a crappy painter for so long.

I’m using Tamiya Pure White and Tamiya Italian Red (eventually). Sorry to have fooled you! That extruded red is a little light for Ferrari IMHO.

Oh yeah, I do the underside in primer for no light bleed...

Hope this isn’t too tedious. I do own an airbrush but it’s kind of a pain with thinner, leveler, flat/matte, clean up etc. I find rattle cans much easier even though more expensive.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 12:15 AM UTC
It took an "After Midnight" airbrush session, but I got some bling on!

SMS Super Silver on the bumpers and grille area. On this kit, as on the 1:1 Pro Sports there is no grille, just a decal. I will mask these and the black primed areas off now while I get the rest of the body painted.

A mixture of SMS Super Silver and Stainless Steel on the engine and diff assemblies and exhaust stacks, and AK Xtreme Metal White Aluminium on the Lenco Tranny.

I will get the bits and bobs added to the engine and give it a pin wash, and the exhausts will get some burnt metal next.

Cheers, D
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 02:07 AM UTC
Patrick nice work on your Ferrari in a few of your pics it's hard to tell it's a model, Damian your different metal colors add a little contrast looks good.

I need to get moving, i got mine in finish primer but it looks like rain today so no painting.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 02:11 AM UTC
D,
Now the engine parts after your metal painting session all look outstanding. the exhaust headers look especially good as brand new one would from what I remember.

Joel
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 10:36 AM UTC
Time for an update, I didn't think i would get any paint work done because of the bad weather but i caught a break a few hours with out rain. I put 2 coats of Tamiya pure white and 1 coat of pearl white, came out better than i thought it would but in the pics you can't really see the pearl white.

The second pic shows the other color in my 2 tone paint scheme, Testors fiery orange, the orange will cover the top of the hood the roof and window frames, trunk and fenders. I will have to wait a few days for the white to cure before i can tape off for the orange. All comments welcome.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 10:47 AM UTC
Robert,
The white does have a very slight sparkle to it, and it's not refrigerator White. Can't wait to see how it looks with the blazing Orange.

Joel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 02:28 PM UTC
Robert, I can actually see the pearl white, and it's pretty much the same my real life car looks like. In contrast with orange should look superb!

Damian, you've got a mighty grip on those metallic colours. As Joel noted it already, the exhaust headers really look diamond!

New GB entry. It wasn't to be the cheeky VW, it is going to be the monstrous Tyrrell P34 1/20, 1977 Monaco GP, #4 by Tamiya. I'm gonna do the entry post here, for conformity, but I'm going to open separate thread. Probably I'm going to start working on it not before Sunday, but the entry remains definitive.

Gabriel