The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Strip, Track & Trail Official Build Thread
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2020 - 01:26 AM UTC
Patrick,
Welcome aboard. You're really going to like it here.

David,
Figures that my suggestion about Spot models vast decal selection was a dead end. Lesson for all: never follow any of my suggestions.

Gabriel,
The Hot Wheels/Kyle Petty car just came out looking fantastic. You out did yourself for sure on this build.

D,
Not start on yet another Chevy. I'm going to have to buy you a Ford or two for your birthday.

Joel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2020 - 03:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That came out absolutely phenomenal Gabriel!

Thank you, David! You are just too kind. It was a good build, but it has "glitches".

Quoted Text

Beautiful finish Gabriel, another gem in the display cabinet!

Thank you, D.! Actually a collections of NASCARS will make a very colorful display, you're right. As you all know, I'm not a collector, I'm a builder so off they go in Canada!

Quoted Text

Gabriel,
The Hot Wheels/Kyle Petty car just came out looking fantastic. You out did yourself for sure on this build.

Thank you so Much, Joel! In all frankness, I didn't feel I pushed myself in this build, I just took a little more time and took the time to redo the small mistakes I did along the way.

Damian Nice preliminary works. Finally that engine looks like an engine and not like a drying piece of Dutch Cheese
Now, on the bumpers, I've seen you primed them with black but the finish it's satin. The chrome it's going to be also satiny - I just tried on my Pontiac's Chevrolet engine. If I'd be you, I'll prime everything gray, mask the bumpers, gloss black them, and only then I'd apply chrome. Of course, all depends on what effect you're after. Also, masking over bare metallic finishes might result in damage, as the tape will pull away metallic pigment, making the finish to appear dull. Just a thought. One more argument: if you want to get the best out from your metallic paints, they should be applied over the black base while the base still wet, resulting in much nicer self-leveling. The method it's also confirmed by Joel's experience.

Gabriel
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2020 - 05:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

David,
Figures that my suggestion about Spot models vast decal selection was a dead end. Lesson for all: never follow any of my suggestions.

Joel

Your suggestion led me there first. Just didn't have what I needed at that time. LOL

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2020 - 08:54 AM UTC
Thought that I'd air brush the full inside shell/chassis with Gravity's CF paint. Well, the color is more like a metallic green/blue/black, which looks horrid. So I let it dry for 30 min, then rubbed it out for a solid base, and will be using a Darkish German Gray to represent the Carbon Fiber. I'll also post some actual pictures of the car so you can see that the CF does indeed look like a solid dark Gray, not the typical weave patterns we use. At least that's going to be my reasoning go to that way.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2020 - 09:40 AM UTC
Here's 3 pictures of the real car that Senna drove. Seeing a CF pattern other then right up close is almost impossible.

and this is the look I'm hoping to create done by a master modeler from Japan, Mr. Sato.

Joel

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2020 - 11:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Damian Now, on the bumpers, I've seen you primed them with black but the finish it's satin. The chrome it's going to be also satiny

Hi Gabriel.

I totally agree, if I was trying for a high-shine chrome I would be using a gloss black base for sure. On this car however the "bumpers" are actually just part of the fibreglass body mould, painted silver.

I'm taking a bit of artistic licence and using chrome paint to get a bit more bling, but I'm not wanting or expecting a true chrome finish.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2020 - 11:39 AM UTC
D,
You're method should give you the exact chrome type finish you're aiming for. I've even used Matt Black or just Gray primer to get that look.

Joel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2020 - 01:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

D,
You're method should give you the exact chrome type finish you're aiming for. I've even used Matt Black or just Gray primer to get that look.

Joel

Damian, I totally agree with Joel here. Yes, if you are after that look, you are on the right path.

Gabriel
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 766 posts
Auto Modeler: 140 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2020 - 01:42 PM UTC
Jacques was an underrated driver!

Great choice!
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2020 - 03:42 PM UTC
Joel, I have missed somehow your earliest post. In the picture before last, the weave pattern can be made out clearly - the other one can be discounted as low resolution, probably stills from videos.

I understand you don't like the decals because they are out of scale, so as paint only option I would use a dull "white" metallic followed by Tamiya smoke until almost black or a lighter gunmetal, followed by clear. German grey might come close as tone, but the dullness will kill all the effect. Just sayin'

Gabriel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2020 - 02:26 AM UTC
Gabriel,
One of the biggest things is that the CF is much rougher in texture then painted aluminum. The 1st 3 pictures are the actual car when Senna so that you know it's not a restoration. Heaven only knows just how many restoration pictures I have that are all over the place.

Honestly, I avoid CF decals and CF in general whenever possible, which really puts a major dent into what models I buy and build. I guess it's the scale effect that bothers me the most.

Joel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2020 - 03:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gabriel,
Honestly, I avoid CF decals and CF in general whenever possible, which really puts a major dent into what models I buy and build. I guess it's the scale effect that bothers me the most.
Joel

Indeed, this is a deal that you take it or you leave it. I have designed the decals patterns for BLD and if I go too small for scale reasons, - these days you can design pixel by pixel - regardless of the resolution, everything it will blur down to a grayish mess, and looks even worse under macro. The miniaturisation of detail has to stop to a level that is inherently overscale.
Gabriel
heavyjagdpanzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 173 posts
Auto Modeler: 46 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2020 - 06:53 AM UTC
I have made some progress. I got several car magazines from eBay that had feature articles on this car. I have tried to reproduce some of the unique features of the Blue Max,like the fuel tank strap. I made it out of brass shim stock.

pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2020 - 08:03 AM UTC
Ok, I'm late to the party and I'll try not to post a whole bunch of photos but here is the project...

And the engine bay... I have to give credit to another builder, Chris Smith, who is working on the same kit. He is the inspiration for the detailing.

I did get the wash correct for once...

And of course the ever frustrating exhaust pipes...

Your comments are always welcome!
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2020 - 08:19 AM UTC
Welcome to the party. Your Ferrari is really nice! That engine detailing is incredible!

Jim
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2020 - 08:19 AM UTC
Bill,
The engine wiring and detailing is just amazing.

Joel
heavyjagdpanzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 173 posts
Auto Modeler: 46 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2020 - 09:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bill,
The engine wiring and detailing is just amazing.

Joel

Thank you. It's not as clean as I would like it to be, but I will keep working at it.
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2020 - 09:04 AM UTC
Great engine Patrick. Those Tamiya exhausts are always tricky and never seem to quite fit. I will be watching this build with interest.

Cheers
Michael
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2020 - 11:39 AM UTC
Getting close to the "End-Of-Month" report for April and things are still moving along beautifully here folks!

Very interesting discussion between Joel and Gabriel regarding CF, always a very difficult material to represent accurately in scale with plenty of discussions across many scale modeling forums.

Quoted Text

The miniaturisation of detail has to stop to a level that is inherently overscale.

This point is critical. Do we include "overscale" details to show that we are concerned with the fact that they exist? Do we play around with techniques to create just a hint that something exists? Do we sit back and just say why bother, that thing in 1/24th scale is half the diameter of the average human hair? There is no universal correct answer, each modeler has his/her own preference and priority, and that is what makes this hobby so great!

Bill, very nice work on the wiring and added detail there, coming together nicely!

Patrick, welcome aboard and thanks for joining in! Excellent progress on your build so far, it will be great to see this large-scale kit progress. Are the engine decals part of the kit set or after-market? They look really good and add so much to the overall picture.

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2020 - 01:17 PM UTC
I have just realised that I should have posted a link to the huge project that Michael (Cosimodo) is undertaking as part of this Group Build.

Pretty in Pink is the dedicated build log thread for the Model Factory Hiro 1/12 Porsche 917/20, and it is essential reading for everybody if you have somehow missed seeing it.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2020 - 01:24 AM UTC
Patrick,
Welcome to our forum. You're really going to like it here.

Your engine building, painting, and detailing skills are superb. The Ferrari V12 looks amazing. I still marvel at how you got all 12 exhaust pipes to correctly align. I still have issues in 1/20 scale with Tamiya's Cosworth V8's, as they still insist that every pipe has to be separate.

Keep it coming with more posts so we can follow your build to it's conclusion.

Joel
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2020 - 04:41 AM UTC
Bill , nice details on your Blue Max funny car and welcome Patrick with a very nice Ferrari F1.
Removed by original poster on 04/27/20 - 19:25:01 (GMT).
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2020 - 07:24 AM UTC
Damian,
Engine decals come as part of IndyCals set but are on the original as well. I have found that 40 year old decals fall apart!

We had a major disaster last night. While putting on the right rear wheel upright and shock absorber, I discovered that the mechanics had installed the back plate and bracket on the transaxle exactly upside down.

While attempting to rectify that error, we had a major malfunction with the connection between engine block and transaxle housing. Parts flew every where. The carpet monster did not claim anything and all the parts were found. There was only one major casualty... a support arm. The "U" connector broke at the neck next to the engine so the part is still there. I may be able to pin it.

One good thing! I did get to put the transaxle part on correctly. I don't think the damage with be permanent.

Thanks for the comments on the large scale kit. It is my favorite scale and this is my fifth Ferrari. I have three more to build. This build (until yesterday) was going as good as any I have had. You know what that means, don't you? The decaling is going to be a bear! And there are so many white pin stripes to get level. I'm trying to figure out a way to do that...

Thanks all for the comments!
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2020 - 11:26 AM UTC
Bill, the extra detailing on the engine paid off nicely. Yes, Blue MAx it's coming along nicely.

Patrick, welcome to the party! And you're not late by any means - some others drunk too much and leaved early. Haha!
The single model I ever made larger that 1/24th scale it was a 1/12 Tamiya motorcycle and I loved it. I'm blown away (like everybody else I see) by the huge amount of detail (and subsequent realism) you can crame in a 1/12th scale vehicle. Watching your posts very attentively!

Gabriel