The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Strip, Track & Trail Official Build Thread
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 08:50 AM UTC
Thanks G. I've got the paint, just not going to apply it until the decals are physically in my hands.

Got the dash and some interior wiring/hoses assembled today. Just need to attach them to the chassis and tidy them up. Not going crazy with it as it is all hidden anyway once it is buttoned up, unless I cut out the side windows (molded as one piece, front, rear and sides).

Started painting the wheels today too.

Once the interior and wheels are done it goes in a box to sit until the decals get here.

Not sure what to start next while waiting. Maybe the sister Mustang, at least the replacement decals for that would be coming from a US source(Indycals).
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 766 posts
Auto Modeler: 140 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 09:12 AM UTC
Nice looking work...
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 09:42 AM UTC
David,
I've got a few suggestions that might help.

Checkout Indy Cals as Michael has several different Jägermeister decals sets, you might be able to patch together what you need.

They also have Roush Capri decals for the 1982 & 83 seasons that Roush ran the Capri. if not doing a Jägermeister car isn't a necessity.

Joel
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 12:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

David,
I've got a few suggestions that might help.

Checkout Indy Cals as Michael has several different Jägermeister decals sets, you might be able to patch together what you need.

They also have Roush Capri decals for the 1982 & 83 seasons that Roush ran the Capri. if not doing a Jägermeister car isn't a necessity.

Joel

I'll either be using that Indycals set or the Miller one for the Revell ZakSpeed Mustang.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2020 - 03:35 AM UTC
Well, it's time for another update. I still haven't clear coated the body shell and parts, but that's on my to do list for this coming week. Instead I started on the chassis, engine/transaxle, and classis plate.

I painted the overall chassis a Dark German Gray close to Nato Black but a shade darker. With some light weathering, I hope that it will look something like this:

After I painted on the basic CF color, when dry I spent a good 2 hours masking the Steel heat shields that will be directly under the twin Turbos.

Then I air brushed on Alcad 2 Dark Aluminum followed by a light dusting of Alscad 2 Steel. Then I removed all the masking tape. It always just amazes me how long it takes to mask anything, but just a few min to remove all of it.

Next into the paint booth was the engine/transaxle basic assembly and various parts. I applied a light coat of Mr. Finisher #1500 primer thinned with good old #400 leveler thinner.

Slowly I applied various shades of Semi Gloss Black, Flat Black, CF Gray, Dark Aluminum as I worked my way around the various parts of the engine/transaxle, as well as the rear suspension parts. When dry I assemblied the basic parts of the engine so that I could add the rear suspension members.

And here's a better overall picture of the chassis with engine/transaxle, and basic rear suspension.

Finally, I AB'd the radiator side pods a semi gloss Black as they're not formed from the CF mold for the front chassis clip.

Slowly work progresses when I have time these days.

On another sad personal note, my 18 month old gaming computer just this past week has been locking up almost constantly requiring booting via the power supply on/off switch. I did a complete Window 10 reinstall, but that really didn't help. So it's going in for repairs on Monday. I'm going to see if my previous computer will even turn on till my computer is fixed and home where it belongs. I'm guessing that if I get away lucky it's just going to be a new Graphics Card. But that's never my luck. As I've posted a few times, my other hobby is auto sim racing, and this computer was specifically built for that task. Why it's already dying is a completel mystery to me. Just might have to give it up.

Joel

Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2020 - 05:22 AM UTC
Joel, nice detailing work on the Camel. Well, the two-tone Alclad paint it's a novelty to me - but sounds interesting. I might try some more different shades like copper / pale gold / aluminum for heat stain effects

Quoted Text

On another sad personal note, my 18 month old gaming computer just this past week has been locking up almost constantly requiring booting via the power supply on/off switch. I did a complete Window 10 reinstall, but that really didn't help. So it's going in for repairs on Monday. I'm going to see if my previous computer will even turn on till my computer is fixed and home where it belongs. I'm guessing that if I get away lucky it's just going to be a new Graphics Card. But that's never my luck. As I've posted a few times, my other hobby is auto sim racing, and this computer was specifically built for that task. Why it's already dying is a completel mystery to me. Just might have to give it up.

Exactly the same symptoms here. Mine was designed for video editing, but it's basically same. I used Win7 Pro - I hate from my darkest depths Win 10. It started making some internal noise, thew won't come up from sleeping mode, and eventually started locking more and more often until one day didn't start anymore, just keep looping the bios initialization. The bad news it's that can be about anything - from the dried cooler's paste to a bad memory module, even a crashed peripheral. I was too lazy even to take it apart to try and see what's the issue, and now I have no cash to even try and fix it Good timing.

Gabriel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2020 - 05:25 AM UTC
They were some rally Sciroccos after all. This one looks pretty much "official":

That will suit me perfectly, since blue it's the Romanian Racing colour... but I cannot complicate my life now with custom printed decals

Gabriel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2020 - 06:34 AM UTC
Gabriel,
You just gotta do that paint scheme. It's beyond outstanding.

As for my computer, I tested the two RAM sticks by removing one, then starting up my computer. Both times it started up and ran, but one stick won't shut down correctly. RAM is known to be flakey when it's starting to go. And the RAM sticks they built this computer with are base line models for sure.

So I'm going to buy 2X8 DDR4 2666 sticks on Monday rather then dropping my computer off for repair. Hopefully that will do the trick. If not then it's down to the Graphics card, the CPU, and or CPU Cooler. God I hope I finally get a break, and it's just the RAM.

Joel
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2020 - 11:22 AM UTC
Looking great Joel. Hope the computer issue ends up being just the RAM stick.

Gabriel, that looks to be an interesting scheme. C64, now that brings back memories. LOL

Calling the interior just about done, just needs a few touchups that I saw in the pictures that I culled out.

Need to build the seatbelts and install the seat still.

One really weird think about this kit is the dashboard attaches to the body shell and not the chassis. I've never seen that before.

Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2020 - 04:05 PM UTC
Looking neat, David. Very effective and "simple".

Quoted Text

One really weird think about this kit is the dashboard attaches to the body shell and not the chassis. I've never seen that before.

That's exactly the problem with my Gordini. The horizontal part of the dash it's actually molded into the body and the vertical one glues to it. Quite inconvenient for my roll cage build.

Yes, Commodore scheme looks very nice and colourful, but I have to say pass on it for more than one reason. If I start the build, it's going to be a custom scheme using some decals from the kit.

Gabriel
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2020 - 11:32 PM UTC
Nice work Joel, all those different shades of black and silver give it just enough contrast, David nice work on the interior details.
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 01:00 AM UTC
Thanks Gabriel and Robert. Going to do the needed touchups today and then shelve it for the time being.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 02:03 AM UTC
David,
The overall interior pic really looks quite good. Love the metal air hose. And your dash really does pop.

Joel
bomber14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Auto Modeler: 23 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 03:34 AM UTC
Hello all. i'm a long time viewer from the aeroscale side. finally decided to get involved here. although i been building WWII aircraft recently i actually started out building car, mainly nascar and some F-1 with some american muscle thrown in.
i'm going back to my root and throwing in with a 1960 ford starliner and will be converting it to a stock car. Fred Lorenzens ruppert safety belts stock car. i had already started it when i came across this group build and richard (tinbanger) was nice enough to let me join up, thank you Richard.
i will be scratch building or kit bashing a lot of components to turn it into a race ready car. here is some starting photos-

The kit:

20200503_104652[1]" BORDER="0">

i removed all the chrome from the rocker panels and fenders:
20200503_104806[1]" BORDER="0">

i will add more photos soon
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 04:21 AM UTC
Joe, looking good and interesting so far. Welcome to the party!

Gabriel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 04:26 AM UTC
Joe,
Welcome to the party. I'm looking forward to your most intriguing build.

Joel
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 04:40 AM UTC
Thanks Joel, I tried a few new to me techniques and I'm fairly pleased on how the hand painted dash came out.

Welcome to the group Joe, looking forward to watching this one.
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 05:05 AM UTC
Nice to have you with us Joe, that is one of AMT's better kits.
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 05:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice to have you with us Joe, that is one of AMT's better kits.

That's interesting. I'm totally confused by AMT policies right now. I found good old kits (Ertl originally), some decent vintage kits of their own and the newer molds that are very good. The Chrysler 300B and 1941 Plymouth really look good. I don't have the Monte Carlo SS yet, but the reviews are positive all-round. Still they keep releasing reboxed MPC crap and Johnny Lightning and sell (good) molds to Salvino Jr. Round2 really looks like a company in the brink of financial collapse.

Gabriel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 05:31 AM UTC
Gabriel,
Didn't they just sell off the Monogram & Revell molds that are 1/24 scale, while their line is almost all 1/25 scale? That would make some sense.

Joel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 08:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gabriel,
Didn't they just sell off the Monogram & Revell molds that are 1/24 scale, while their line is almost all 1/25 scale? That would make some sense.

Joel

Makes sense for internal standardization - no doubt. But the decline in overall quality and detail is puzzling me. The 24th scale they held they were among the best from their line-up

Gabriel
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 08:48 AM UTC
Some really nice progress here, guys; and some really fantastic builds.

I got the engine completed & mounted in the frame today for the '57 Gasser. I'm liking how this is looking.

Here is a mock-up of the interior, too. I like the white seats & door panels. The floor will be the same flat blue as the dash, assuming that I don't run out of paint during The Plague! The rear seat delete has already been painted flat aluminum.

Jim
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 10:41 AM UTC
Good work James coming together nicely.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 11:24 AM UTC
Thanks, Robert.

Jim
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 11:38 AM UTC
Neat work, Jim! I like the "clean" look of the build. KUTGW!

Gabriel