The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Strip, Track & Trail Official Build Thread
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2020 - 11:02 AM UTC
More great progress reports coming through, I'm having trouble keeping up!

Jim, neat work on the chassis, really good to see it sitting on all fours! That engine looks really nice in the Ford Blue!

Robert, superb detailing! I am insanely jealous of you guys with the skills and tools to mill your own detail parts! The blower hat is cool, and I can already see the butterflies in place. One small (and I mean really small) suggestion, double up the thickness on the belt and see if you can increase the tension. It wouldn't surprise me if you've built in adjustable wheel tensioning the way you are going!

Mark, don't sweat it mate, I've fallen from pole position to way back in the field half way through the first lap! I've got 4 other builds that I will try to complete while I just tinker with this one on the sidelines.

Cheers, D
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2020 - 11:20 AM UTC
Thank you, Joel! Yes, this kit worked pretty smooth.

Quoted Text

My only issue is why the Metallic Blue shock member?

Well, I was just trying my new Alclas Candy paints - no special reason. The hood it's going to be shut anyways.

Quoted Text

And then it's decal time. I can't wait.

Yes, I'm a little worried myself with the decals size and positioning but, well, these days I have time to take it easy...

Quoted Text

Gabriel, your NASCAR is really progressing nicely. I really like it.

Thanks, Jim! I'm virtually done, safe for decals and clear coat.
Your engine and frame assembly look like the part - very nice shade of blue, btw! (I'm the color freak in this Group )

Robert, that's not fair, HAHA. 3D printer, lathe... do you have a laser engraver / cutter as well )) Yes, a mini-lathe was on my list too, but not enough space in my house...
Great work on these pulleys - so much better look than plastic ones!

Quoted Text

Gabriel almost done already

Nick, I used oil based enamels, so the only thing holding me back is the drying time...

Quoted Text

Gabriel is nearly finished...

As you noted, it's not a contest. It's too much time at my disposal I will open a second box in a few days... another NASCAR

UPDATE
The first thing in the morning it was to sniff some MLT. After the coffee that is. The second coat of orange, this time thinner than the first one. I'm pleased with the way it came out, almost effortlessly. Yes, the few dry grains are there, but apparently it was more of a problem with my expiring yellow from the mix:

As paint I used homemade brewed Rus-oleum mix (chrome yellow + royal red - approx 70% + 30%), diluted with MLT (60%), sprayed thru H&S Evolution 0.4mm @ 18psi:

I almost forgot the windows have to be painted too

The exterior details are easy to masc, but for interior black rim the kit provides no mark (threshold?) and I cut the masks myself, using the glass as template:

The windows sprayed from outside with Tamiya Nato Black and from inside with Tamiya Smoke. Then I realized the ribs on the windshield of Tony Stewart were grey... Well, easy to fix in the next session:

BAsed on the previous experience, probably I'm going to need three to four days until the paint is dry enough for final sanding. Also, the painting is not done - there is some black inserts, but not big deal.

Gabriel
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2020 - 11:57 AM UTC
Nick-Yes the lathe is fun to use when you know what you are doing to bad i don't, flying blind had to teach myself.

Joel-Thanks, made a bunch of parts over the last 15 years with this thing it's great because it's so compact and light.

Mark-Thanks, just remember there is always hope, lol, just kidding i am just having fun building.

Damian-Thanks, that belt was a temp just for the pic i have electricians cloth tape it's about twice as thick and has a nice pattern in it, engine also temp glued for the pic and for me to check to see if all lined up correct.

Gabriel-Thanks, all is fair in love war and model building, i wish i had a laser engraver / cutter. This lathe is very small about 21 inches long and weight is about 20 pounds. Your Nascar build is looking really good.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2020 - 12:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Damian-Thanks, that belt was a temp just for the pic i have electricians cloth tape it's about twice as thick and has a nice pattern in it, engine also temp glued for the pic and for me to check to see if all lined up correct.

Perfect! I was thinking that you would have this under control.

Cheers, D
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2020 - 12:39 PM UTC
No problem Damian always glad to hear any idea.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2020 - 01:01 PM UTC
Thanks for all the kind comments, guys. I appreciate it. The kit really is progressing nicely. I hope I just didn't jinx myself!

Jim
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2020 - 02:18 AM UTC
Gabriel,
The body really looks quite good.

I'm confused at to why you painted the insides of the windows. That's basically the surface gluing area to the body. The outside is what really counts as it's the gasket to hold the Plexi-glass in place, and vibrate to the point of cracking. Nato Black is a perfect color for that.

I'm hoping that sooner then later you'll have pics of the body decaled.

Joel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2020 - 02:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gabriel,
The body really looks quite good.

I'm confused at to why you painted the insides of the windows. That's basically the surface gluing area to the body. The outside is what really counts as it's the gasket to hold the Plexi-glass in place, and vibrate to the point of cracking. Nato Black is a perfect color for that.

I'm hoping that sooner then later you'll have pics of the body decaled.

Joel

Joel, it is easier to mask the rim from inside because outside are the ribs. The mating surface, also black, will appear as one with the gaskets since the windows glue from outside. This is how I though, anyway. I think having some transparency there helps with the looks as well, even if not 100% accurate.

I checked the body this morning - still strong odour of solvent and tacky. Yes, I want to get done with this build as well, just to start the next NASCAR

Gabriel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2020 - 05:31 AM UTC
Here's my new entry in the GB, with conformity picture:

To avoid confusions and to keep the main thread tidy, I opened a separate thread for this build here:
https://automodeler.kitmaker.net/forums/284414

Gabriel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2020 - 06:37 AM UTC
Gabriel,
The long curing time is one of my main reasons for air brushing Lacquers. I remember only to well how long my aircraft models took to dry. I use to have to give them a full week for each color.

Joel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2020 - 09:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gabriel,
The long curing time is one of my main reasons for air brushing Lacquers. I remember only to well how long my aircraft models took to dry. I use to have to give them a full week for each color.

Joel

Yes. When things go back to normal, I'm going to slowly replace my "default" enamels with auto lacquers. Much more expensive from the shelf, but still worth it.
Gabriel
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2020 - 10:05 AM UTC
DHL really "delivers" for Gravity. Their tracking originally said delivery on Friday, but the paints arrived today.

Hoping to start on the Capri this weekend.

Also, I too will have even more modeling time that I now already have. 95% of our field service force is being furloughed for 2 months starting next weekend.
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Auto Modeler: 431 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2020 - 10:14 AM UTC
Hi guys,

It seems that being stuck at home has allowed us all to get plenty done with this project. Please take a look, I'm making some headway. A big challenge has been finding detailed images of the GTR F1 Longtail racecar. I've found numerous photos of the body and some of the engine, but not many for suspension and none of just to monocoque. I guess the right thing to to would be keep researching - nah, I'll keep building. Take a look:

The details here are soft- which is fair, in that in most cases this area will never be seen, but as I cleverly cut off the front portion of the body, well, you'll see it. Added what I could here and there.

The rear is a bit more straight forward, but still has a long way to go:

The kit is pretty good, not great. Some of the parts need sanding a clean up to sit flush with one another. This kit, like my recent Zakspeed, also feature non Tmaiya or Fujimi plastic - that is, it sometimes takes some effort to make the glue work. Parts get soft, the black plastic color transfers to the white evergreen, so a bit of patience is required.

Ok, stay well guys

Nick

rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2020 - 10:50 AM UTC
Nice details to the engine compartment Nick.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2020 - 11:21 AM UTC
Well you guys are going to keep me on my toes as scoreboard/stats/record keeper on this one aren't you? 4 days since the last update, one almost finished and started a second build, we have custom 3D printed, milled and scratched additions going on left, right and centre, and really high quality work all round. It really is like watching the start of an F1 race with the fliers in the clear and the jostling for position and dodging around the stalled cars behind. Just more fun and less dangerous to be in the middle of it all!

Running update on builds

9 days in, already over 1700 views and 130 posts
18 enlisted (plus 1, Jesper sign in mate!)
8 builds in progress

Aussiereg (Damian) - STRAIGHTLINE - '55 Chev Pro Sportsman (Charles Carpenter) - 1/25 Revell kit - Parts clean-up and sub assemblies
Joel_W (Joel) - FORMULA 1 - enlisted - Lotus 99T Honda (Ayrton Senna 1987) - 1/20 Tamiya kit
Joel_W (Joel) - INDY - enlisted - Lola T-8800 Newman Haas (Mario Andretti 1988) - 1/25 AMT kit
Dixon66 (David) - ENDURANCE GROUP 5 - enlisted - Zakspeed Capri - 1/24 Tamiya kit
tinbanger (Richard) - GRAND PRIX - 1914 Mercedes Racer - 1/16 Lindberg kit - Engine and chassis started, major panel works under way
md72 (Mark) - INDY - enlisted - Target Reynard (Jimmy Vasser) - 1/25 Revell kit
Szmann (Gabriel) - NASCAR - Chev Monte Carlo (Tony Stewart) - 1/25 AMT/ERTL kit - Main assembly completed, body ready for decals and clear
Szmann (Gabriel) - NASCAR - Pontiac Grand Prix (Kyle Petty) - 1/24 Revell/Monogram kit - Box opened
Hwa-Rang (Jesper) - NASCAR - (TBA)
PasiAhopelto (Pasi) - NASCAR - enlisted - Olds 442 (Donnie Allison) - 1/25 Salvinos JR kit
forest1000 (David) - FORMULA 1 - enlisted - Williams Renault (Jaques Villeneuve) - 1/24 Revell/Monogram kit
jimb (Jim) - STRAIGHTLINE - '57 Ford Sedan Gasser - Engine, chassis, wheels completed and interior assembled
Cosimodo (Michael) - ENDURANCE - enlisted - 1971 Porsche 917/20
bluebell914 (Patrick) - ENDURANCE - enlisted - Ferrari P4 or 512S
2002hummer (Darrell) - GRAND PRIX - enlisted - Lotus Super Seven (Tamiya)
TacFireGuru (Mike) - NASCAR - enlisted - Chev Monte Carlo (Home Depot)
Stickframe (Nick) - ENDURANCE - McLaren F1 GTR Longtail - 1/24 Aoshima kit - Body surgery and scratch detail mania commenced
Lakota (Don) - ENDURANCE - enlisted - Corvette C7.R - 1/25 Revell kit
RedwingNev (Neil) - GRAND PRIX - enlisted - Lotus 79 (1978 Mario Andretti?) - 1/20 Tamiya kit
rv1963 (Robert) - STRAIGHTLINE - '37 Chevy Gasser - 1/25 AMT kit- Engine detailing, 3D printed & custom milled parts
heavyjagdpanzer (Bill) - STRAIGHTLINE - Blue Max Funny Car - 1/25 Revell kit - Engine and Cage completed

If anybody has firmed up their proposed builds, or spotted anything wrong in the list, please let me know.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2020 - 11:50 AM UTC
David,
Gravity has literally the best delivery service in the industry. And it's cheaper then even the USPS.

Been 3 wks and my Spot order from Spain is in no man's land. the Spanish post doesn't have it, and neither the Post Office. I'm giving Spot 30 days as they state, then I want a new model and mask set sent UPS which is very expensive, or my money back. I've got Pay Pal on my side, so I'm not worried at this point.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2020 - 11:51 AM UTC
D,
This is amazing. 18 sign ups already. Talk about being on fire. We're smokin' for sure.

Joel
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2020 - 03:54 PM UTC
Well done guys all the builds are looking great.
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
Auto Modeler: 409 posts
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2020 - 02:41 AM UTC
Great lathe work Robert!
I am starting to make rims for my build on my lathe.
This group build is posting fast!
Come back after a few days away and up to page 6 already!
Great work every one.
bmwh548
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Iasi, Romania
KitMaker: 4 posts
Auto Modeler: 4 posts
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2020 - 05:11 AM UTC
Hello all! Amongst all the American muscle I thought I would bring a "ricer" if you'll allow me

rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2020 - 05:17 AM UTC
Thanks Richard, i can't wait to see those rims.
Small set back for me i painted the engine Testors enamel international orange and 12 hours later the paint was still wet and sticky, must have gotten a bad jar, i know enamel can take a while but that is not rite.

I just spent half hour with paint thinner stripping the engine, the primer under it was not affected at all gray auto primer, at least that is still good. Strange i shot the blower with Testors enamel Aluminium with my air brush dry to the touch in about 1 hour. I also tested Chevy orange on some scrap and 1 hour later it was almost dry go figure.
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2020 - 06:02 AM UTC
First pic

Will still be a day or two before I crack into it.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2020 - 08:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello all! Amongst all the American muscle I thought I would bring a "ricer" if you'll allow me

Radu, welcome to the Automodeler family! Great to see you here, and your "ricer" is a great addition to the ranks! There have been a lot of recent releases in the Rally Car kit range, proving to be very popular, and I am pleased to see one here.

Please don't forget to visit the Group Build page HERE and hit the "Enlist" button to join officially.

I look forward to following your progress here.

David, so good to see your box open and on the bench! The Zakspeed Capri is such a cool looking unit. It will be great to see that one under way soon as well.

Robert, sorry to hear that you've hit paint issues. Strange that the enamel cured quickly on the test shot but not on the engine. Hopefully you can get it sorted quickly.

Don, great to see your Corvette hit the bench mate! Nice work so far.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2020 - 08:32 AM UTC
Radu,
Great choice as the Subaru is one of Tamiya's best kits on the market. I've seen several builds and the bonus is that the Tamiya decals work just fine for a change. Looking forward to your build with great interest.

Robert,
I've used Testors from the little bottle forever, and it always dries pretty fast. Sorry to hear that you got their one bad bottle. At least the good news is that you were able to strip it off without any damage to the parts or the primer coat. So I'd say that the primer really did it's job.

David,
Now there's a kit I don't see very often. Should make for one excellent build to follow.

Joel
Lakota
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
Auto Modeler: 15 posts
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2020 - 08:48 AM UTC
Howdy Y'all
I'm learning about automobile models really fast. Great builds everyone. I got a little progress done on my Corvette.

Take care,
Don "Lakota"