The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Strip, Track & Trail Official Build Thread
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 - 11:24 AM UTC
Beautiful smooth paintwork there Bill, very nice work!

Cheers, D
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 - 11:48 AM UTC
To paraphrase Steve Martin in The Jerk "The new decals are here!, The new decals are here!"

The Jagermeister decals from Germany made it today. The weren't my first choice, because they are going to take twice as long to do. There is a silver backer decal that needs to be placed and then the color ones go over those.

I'll start laying the Orange paint on the Capri soon.

Some quick photos of the progress on the SCCA T2 Mustang.

A couple more pictures in the build thread.
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 766 posts
Auto Modeler: 140 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 - 12:08 PM UTC
Okay, so group build entry #2...

This is a Tamiya 1/24th scale 1984 Newman Porsche 956 run at Le Mans.

It will be STRICTLY box stock... no engine wiring, etc... I just like the body and the engine is pretty pathetic. The exhaust pipes are effing molded onto the bottom tray.

Here is the kit...

Four hours of work get you this! The metallics are a paint in the ass...

Anyone know where you can get decals for this car? Or any 956 from 1984?

Your comments and criticisms are ALWAYS welcome!
heavyjagdpanzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 173 posts
Auto Modeler: 46 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 - 12:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Beautiful smooth paintwork there Bill, very nice work!

Cheers, D

Thanks, It's not perfect,it has some flaws. Of course I didn't photograph that side!
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 - 03:39 PM UTC
Is there something behind the 73? Or is it intentionally off center?
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 - 05:25 PM UTC
Bill, the Blue Max is looking great! I like the wrinkles in the tires. I assume they come like that?

cheers
Michael
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 - 11:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is there something behind the 73? Or is it intentionally off center?

They are intentionally offset to allow for the class marker to go there. In this case it will be a T2 in a smaller size than the numbers.

Indycals should have the decals you are looking for. I'm sure Joel or one of the other Porsche guys can provide specifics.
Removed by original poster on 06/11/20 - 12:24:22 (GMT).
heavyjagdpanzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 173 posts
Auto Modeler: 46 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2020 - 01:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bill, the Blue Max is looking great! I like the wrinkles in the tires. I assume they come like that?

cheers
Michael

Thanks Michael. The tires are aftermarket. They come from Competition Resins.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2020 - 03:23 AM UTC
Bill,
The painted body looks great, as does those slicks that I can't get over. Looking forward to your decaling update.

joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2020 - 03:25 AM UTC
David,
the interior and Chassis really look outstanding. As does the completed front suspension.

Looking forward to seeing those jag decals being applied.

joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2020 - 03:32 AM UTC
Patrick
Great choice of a kit. I've built that kit, somewhat detailed for me a few years ago, and loved every min of it. Will be following your build for sure.

Joel
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2020 - 06:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Patrick
Great choice of a kit. I've built that kit, somewhat detailed for me a few years ago, and loved every min of it. Will be following your build for sure.

Joel

I am actually thinking of doing the Skoal Bandit livery instead of the Newman. White is a little more forgiving than yellow! The car is basically white and Michael has a great set of decals for it... and of course, I will buy two sets! LOL!
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2020 - 12:59 AM UTC
Patrick,
I completely agree about Michael's selection of decal schemes that he's done on Indy Cals. Porsche 956, 962, and even a few conversions options.

Like I said earlies, I did the Porsche 956 a few years ago in the Rothmans scheme but I used Indy Car decals, not the kit ones. The results were well worth the extra effort of cutting each decal out individually.

Joel
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2020 - 01:10 AM UTC
That looks great, Joel! AFX over on the race forum is trying to tempt me with a description of a 956 in the yellow and black Newman colors but with a Skoal nose!

I ordered two sets of the Skoal decals from Michael yesterday. I just know that pinstripe green is going to give me fits! But doing the body in all white should be pretty uncomplicated (notice I didn't say easy because that is the curse of death!)

What color would you recommend for the interior? Flat Black? Also should the undertray carry on the black and silver right up to the white demarkation on the Newman car? It is about halfway up and then the front obviously will not be yellow but white... your thoughts?
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2020 - 02:00 AM UTC
Patrick,
I'm not a big fan of modeling cars that have borrowed body pcs for a one of a kind mix and match, which is what JC seems to be talking about.

Interiors are always difficult to figure out as it did vary by car and certainly by team. Generally, back in those days the Aluminum pan was just that, bare aluminum and steel alloys. Nearly all of the time the fiberglass shells had the interiors painted Flat Black or the main body color. Just depended on what the team owner wanted. Only Porsche seemed not to care if raw Fiberglass was visible on their race cars. In any event, you'll see so little of the interior, it's not worth spending much time in there. Just paint it flat black.

One more thing about the Rothman decals. As a general rule I don't use Michael's decal option for a single large decal with the logos, and side panel colors. I painted mine Rothmans Blue with Gravity paints, then did the decaling including the striping between the blue and white on the sides with individual decals. Took a long time for sure. But I think it was well worth the effort.

Joel
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2020 - 02:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Patrick,
I'm not a big fan of modeling cars that have borrowed body pcs for a one of a kind mix and match, which is what JC seems to be talking about.

Interiors are always difficult to figure out as it did vary by car and certainly by team. Generally, back in those days the Aluminum pan was just that, bare aluminum and steel alloys. Nearly all of the time the fiberglass shells had the interiors painted Flat Black or the main body color. Just depended on what the team owner wanted. Only Porsche seemed not to care if raw Fiberglass was visible on their race cars. In any event, you'll see so little of the interior, it's not worth spending much time in there. Just paint it flat black.

One more thing about the Rothman decals. As a general rule I don't use Michael's decal option for a single large decal with the logos, and side panel colors. I painted mine Rothmans Blue with Gravity paints, then did the decaling including the striping between the blue and white on the sides with individual decals. Took a long time for sure. But I think it was well worth the effort.

Joel

Exactly the information I was seeking!

I probably wouldn't do the mix and match then...

As far as the interior, flat black it will be!

So how did you color match the Rothman's blue? I'd be curious about that. And I am not sure I could accurately match the Skoal green. But it might be worth a try... any sources on getting an accurate color match?

As I think about it though, I wonder if I should have done the "no green" option... might be too late.

Your help and advice is always of great value to me... and I hope to others.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2020 - 06:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Patrick,

Joel

Exactly the information I was seeking!

I probably wouldn't do the mix and match then...

As far as the interior, flat black it will be!

So how did you color match the Rothman's blue? I'd be curious about that. And I am not sure I could accurately match the Skoal green. But it might be worth a try... any sources on getting an accurate color match?

As I think about it though, I wonder if I should have done the "no green" option... might be too late.

Your help and advice is always of great value to me... and I hope to others.

Patrick,
Gravity and Zero paints have the exact Rothmans Dark Blue paint. Not sure about the Skoal Green. I would email or call MCW or ScaleFinishes as it's a USA based series.

Just glad I can help.

Joel
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2020 - 06:51 AM UTC
As posted in the T2 Mustang thread:

Had a chance to finish the decals. They didn't come out too bad. Still a lot more to learn on creating and printing my own.

I also had a sunny day to take some pictures as the workshop setup is too dark for this car. Don't mind the dust, I haven't cleaned it in prep for the clear coat yet.

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2020 - 12:23 PM UTC
It's that time of the week again folks! Saturday morning here in the Great Southern Land, with some sub-zero (celcius) temperatures during the week as winter kicks in.

I'm on my second coffee for the morning as I go back over the last few pages of this Group Build, and as always I'm really enjoying the volume and quality of work that everybody is getting done. The sharing of progress detail as well as information is great to see.

Patrick has completed his F1 Ferrari and started on a Le Mans Porsche, so the number and variety of builds coming through just keeps rolling on!

Mark has given us all a lesson in proper project management with the flow chart for his Indy open-wheeler, love it!

Robert is doing some serious chopping and changing on the front end of his Trans-Am class Mustang.

David is having fun juggling two builds side-by-side now that hi Jagermeister decals have turned up, and Bill's Blue Max has left the paint shop and moved to the decal shed.

I've only done a bit of careful wet sanding on the body of my build, it will hopefully get another coat or two of Aqua Gloss this weekend.

Running update on builds

10 weeks in, 33 pages with over 17,400 views and 800 posts
21 enlisted
15 builds in progress
7 completed builds

Szmann (Gabriel) - NASCAR - Chev Monte Carlo (Tony Stewart) - 1/25 AMT/ERTL kit - COMPLETED
Stickframe (Nick) - ENDURANCE - McLaren F1 GTR Longtail - 1/24 Aoshima kit - COMPLETED
Szmann (Gabriel) - NASCAR - Pontiac Grand Prix (Kyle Petty) - 1/24 Revell/Monogram kit - COMPLETED
rv1963 (Robert) - STRAIGHTLINE - '37 Chevy Gasser - 1/25 AMT kit- COMPLETED
jimb (Jim) - STRAIGHTLINE - '57 Ford Sedan Gasser - COMPLETED
Joel_W (Joel) - FORMULA 1 - Lotus 99T Honda (Ayrton Senna 1987) - 1/20 Tamiya kit - COMPLETED
pnance26 (Patrick) - FORMULA 1 - Ferrari 312T - 1/12 Tamiya kit - COMPLETED

Aussiereg (Damian) - STRAIGHTLINE - '55 Chev Pro Sportsman (Charles Carpenter) - 1/25 Revell kit - Engine detailing, rolling chassis assembly. Body decals finished, clear finish in progress
Joel_W (Joel) - GT3 - Audi R8 LMS (2015) - 1/24 NuNu kit - Body prepped and primed
Joel_W (Joel) - INDY - enlisted - Lola T-8800 Newman Haas (Mario Andretti 1988) - 1/25 AMT kit
Dixon66 (David) - ENDURANCE GROUP 5 - Zakspeed Capri - 1/24 Tamiya kit - Decals ready to go, body in primer, underside and interior complete
Dixon66 (David) - TOURING GROUP 2 - 2006 Mustang GT- 1/25 Revell kit - Interior modifications, drivetrain assembly. Body repainted and decaling done, underside detail painted
tinbanger (Richard) - GRAND PRIX - 1914 Mercedes Racer - 1/16 Lindberg kit - Engine painted, chassis started, major panel works under way, custom milled wheels/tyres and sheetmetal panels started
md72 (Mark) - INDY - Target Reynard (Jimmy Vasser) - 1/25 Revell kit - Parts Prep, sub assemblies started
Szmann (Gabriel) - FORMULA 1 - Tyrrell P34 (Monaco 1977 #4) - 1/20 Tamiya kit kit - Engine complete, chassis plate and outer shell paint/decals
Hwa-Rang (Jesper) - NASCAR - (TBA)
PasiAhopelto (Pasi) - NASCAR - enlisted - Olds 442 (Donnie Allison) - 1/25 Salvinos JR kit
forest1000 (David) - FORMULA 1 - enlisted - Williams Renault (Jaques Villeneuve) - 1/24 Revell/Monogram kit
Cosimodo (Michael) - ENDURANCE - 1971 Porsche 917/20 - 1/12 MFH kit - Steps 1-5 of 26 completed
bluebell914 (Patrick) - ENDURANCE - enlisted - Ferrari P4 or 512S
2002hummer (Darrell) - GRAND PRIX - Lotus Super Seven (Tamiya) - Engine assembled and painted
TacFireGuru (Mike) - NASCAR - enlisted - Chev Monte Carlo (Home Depot)
Lakota (Don) - ENDURANCE - Corvette C7.R - 1/25 Revell kit - Engine assembled, floor pan/chassis under way
RedwingNev (Neil) - GRAND PRIX - enlisted - Lotus 79 (1978 Mario Andretti?) - 1/20 Tamiya kit
heavyjagdpanzer (Bill) - STRAIGHTLINE - Blue Max Funny Car - 1/25 Revell kit - Rolling chassis completed, body painted
bmwh548 (Radu) - RALLY - '99 WRC Subaru Impreza - 1/24 Tamiya kit - Wheels and tyres
bomber14 (Joe) - STOCK CAR - '60 Ford Starliner - AMT/ERTL kit - Rolling chassis/interior done, body paint under way
rv1963 (Robert) - TRANS-AM - '73 Mustang - 1/25 MPC kit- Parts prep, front end modifications
pnance26 (Patrick) - ENDURANCE - Porsche 956 Le Mans 1984 - 1/24 Tamiya kit - Engine assembled and painted

If anybody has changed or firmed up their proposed builds, or spotted anything wrong in the list, please let me know.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2020 - 03:28 AM UTC
David,
those decals look great. I would never have guessed that they're homemade.

joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2020 - 03:29 AM UTC
D,
Those numbers look tremendous. Had to believe just how much community has grown. A big Hats off to everyone for make AutoModeler one super hot car list.

joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2020 - 05:31 AM UTC
Well, after that very rocky start with the Gravity Metallic Audi Silver, with the full stripping down back to the raw plastic, I reprimed it with Mr. Finisher's light Gray #1500 primer. Gave it a few hours to cure, then a wet rub with Tamiya #3,000 sponge and warm water, and into the drying bin.

Next up was applying the Red Color coat using Gravity's GC1222 Audi R8 Red lacquer paint. Boy am I glad I ordered both colors. Guess I knew that there just might be a issue with the Silver. My usual 2 tack coats, and 4 light color coats, & then into the drying bin again. Next day I gave it a wet rub with Micro Mesh # 8,000 & 12,000 emery cloth and warm water. Then back into the drying bin once again.

Now on to decaling. The kit comes with 3+ sheets of decals, with the sheets split between the two team cars due to color. The Silver got mostly Black stenciling, while the Red mostly white. So that equates to about 1 full sheet of decals dedicated to the Silver car. Still, 2+ sheets to deal with. Good thing I love decaling.

I was shocked when I saw the decaling instructions supplied with the kit. They were basically black and white copies of color pictures, and they were Horrid. The end result was that you really can't see nor read any of the details needed to apply the correct decals in the correct places. So I resorted to pictures of the real car and of the Nunu display model.

I started on the nose clip and slowly working my way back. With those Horrid instructions and the fact that these are in house decals, I was expecting the worst, but what I quickly found out was that the decals themselves are one of the best sets I've ever used. I rate them dead even with Cartograf's best. They're that good. Perfectly printed, dead on registration, sharp as a tack, and the white over Red has zero bleed through so far. The decals are a perfect thickness so they preformed as decals should. Usually, I have issues with laying down a decal over MicroSol as the decal just grabs the surface so I need to add water around the decal to move it into place. But not this time. They not only slid to where ever I needed to move them to, but once pated down, they stuck perfectly. As always, I use my "borrowed" decal procedures from Paul Budzik of Set, sol, and then Solvaset. And as I said, the decals just laid down perfectly, and were a true joy to work the wrinkles and air bubbles out, yet didn't seem to stretch or distort as some decals have a tendency to do.

I started with the radiator air exhaust on the front deck. It's quite a complex shape, and it's painted black down to the radiator housing. Nunu uses 5 Black decals that perfectly covered all the sides without an issue. And yes I need to touch up the bottom edges a tad. the White side strips are parts of the Red nose clip decal for the Silver version, so I cut them out and applied them separately, as the Red was very close to the Gravity Red but a tad brighter.

For some strange reason the white strip is longer on one side then other, but that's the way it seemed to be on the full decal.

Then I applied the big Black decal on the roof rather then painting it so that there was no chance of bleed through, then the Black around the headlight housings, and a few sponsor decals. Time to let it dry, so back in the bin once again.

the rear deck is flat Black so I masked it out and air brushed it with Zero Lotus Black.

thanks to all for stopping by and checking out my progress to date. As usual, it's always greatly appreciated.

Joel

rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2020 - 10:38 AM UTC
David, Your Mustang is looking good, and it should look great with some clear on it.
Joel, Sorry to hear about your problem with the silver paint, but i personally think it was for the better as i am not a big fan of silver or gray cars, the red looks really good.
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2020 - 11:31 AM UTC
Thanks Joel and Robert.

Joel, I like the red scheme more than the silver anyway. Looking great so far.