The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Strip, Track & Trail Official Build Thread
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2020 - 11:50 AM UTC
Great job David, that really is a striking scheme and it's coming together very nicely!

Quoted Text

The one that stands out to me is the waviness of the one on the left door. Didn't even see it until the picture was on the computer.

I noticed that and thought it might have been the shape of the door panel, but then the RHS is perfectly straight. If it bothers you, a few minutes with a soft paintbrush and some warm water might see it straightened out.

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2020 - 12:07 PM UTC
Speaking of decal problems, I'm sitting here this morning having a coffee and looking over my current builds to prioritise the next stages, and now I'm having a laugh and kicking myself at the same time.

Bonus points to whoever can see the problem here.

Cheers, D
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Auto Modeler: 431 posts
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2020 - 12:32 PM UTC
I don;t know D - that looks really good to me - my guess - the stripe on the roof is fading in the wrong direction?? gold hood - red trunk - roof decal is red forward, gold rearward??? I wouldn't have guessed anything if you hadn't mentioned it - Engine looks great -

Hi David - that orange is strong, man! wow, really a nice sold base, looks great -

Hi Joel - yes, the rotors, hubs, calipers - I like building them, and yours look the part - it's a bummer they are so hard to see once the kit is built!

Cheers
Nick
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2020 - 12:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don;t know D - that looks really good to me - my guess - the stripe on the roof is fading in the wrong direction?? gold hood - red trunk - roof decal is red forward, gold rearward??? I wouldn't have guessed anything if you hadn't mentioned it -
Cheers
Nick

And we have a winner already! How stupid am I? As a strange coincidence, I was hunting through some old folders last night and found a bag of mixed Auto themed decal sets that I bought from a swap meet many years ago, and there is an almost completed set from this kit in there!

Now I need to decide whether I go to the trouble of laying another one over the top of this one. That is assuming that it is still usable.

Decisions, decisions!

Cheers, D
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2020 - 01:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great job David, that really is a striking scheme and it's coming together very nicely!

Quoted Text

The one that stands out to me is the waviness of the one on the left door. Didn't even see it until the picture was on the computer.

I noticed that and thought it might have been the shape of the door panel, but then the RHS is perfectly straight. If it bothers you, a few minutes with a soft paintbrush and some warm water might see it straightened out.

Cheers, D

Thanks D and Nick.

I gave it a try instead of painting the clear tonight. Couldn't get even a tiny budge on it. Gave up after 15 minutes and my water cooled off. These things are on there. As I said in a previous post, C'est la guerre.

I thought it was the 1955 on the door window instead of the glass behind it. Didn't see it until Nick found it.

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2020 - 07:19 PM UTC
David, you gave it a go. "C'est la guerre" indeed.

I've decided to give my spare decal a go, nothing to lose. The existing one has several good coats of clear over it, so if the new one doesn't settle cleanly I will just blast it off. If it does settle cleanly, I will roughle mask off the whole roof area and clear it all.

Quoted Text

I thought it was the 1955 on the door window instead of the glass behind it. Didn't see it until Nick found it.

The "1955" decals are right where they need to be

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2020 - 12:26 AM UTC
Nick,
Thanks for the thumbs up. Always glad to see you posting your thoughts and comments on my builds.

Anything these days currently on your workbench?

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2020 - 12:34 AM UTC
D,
I also looked at your decaling as you posted it, and never saw the backwards roof decal either. But I'm claiming extremely poor Eyesite with Retina surgery, then Cataract surgery up coming during July, that is if the Pandemic doesn't shut down all non-life threatening surgeries again.

if you can't get the decals to lift with warm water, which many times they just won't, I've tried Duct Tape over the decals and it will pull up just about any decal. But if the decals aren't super thick, I'd just go with double decaling.

Joel
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2020 - 12:06 PM UTC
Clear laid down today on the Capri. Just trim painting, headlights and taillights, and final assembly left.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2020 - 11:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Clear laid down today on the Capri. Just trim painting, headlights and taillights, and final assembly left.

Fast approaching the final turn and into the home straight David, looking forward to the reveal!

Cheers, D
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 02:20 AM UTC
Finish line crossed, I'm calling this one done.

Workbench is clearing tonight for some Sci-Fi stuff for one of the GBs on ModelGeek.

Thanks to all for a great campaign. Can't wait for the Dreams GB, but I need a break from glossy stuff for a while.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 02:44 AM UTC
Another beautiful build there David, #9 across the line for this Group Build. Your Capri and Mustang builds have been great to follow, thanks for joining in and sharing so much detail along the way, and congrats on 2 more really nice builds making their way to the display shelf.

Make sure you check in to follow the rest of the race here, and enjoy getting your Star Wars on! I might head over to Model Geek and check out the goings-on there shortly.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 03:20 AM UTC
David,
Congrats for crossing the finish line with the Capri. Just a beautiful build. I absolutely love the classic Jag paint job. Decals are dead on perfect.

Joel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 03:31 AM UTC
New roof decal down tonight, and it behaved just as badly as the first one so I'm pretty pleased

I will give it a couple of days to settle and maybe another dose of Mr Mark Softer, then back to the clear coat.

Cheers, D

Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 03:33 AM UTC
Thanks guys, it isn't perfect and I know where the warts are, but I'm slowly but steadily getting better at this.

Not Star Wars for the next two or three builds. 1/35 Bandai M353A4 Hover Truck from the Gundam universe first, 1/32 Moebius Viper Mk II from Battlestar Galactica reboot and most likely the newly released all new tooling 1/72 Eagle from Space:1999 (which is my all time favorite spacecraft as it really looks like it could work).

I want to squeeze in a couple Big Rigs as well, but at least those can get weathered a bit instead of clean and pristine. LOL

That should get me to the start of Dreams.

Edit to add:

Very nice save on the roof. Did you remove the first or just go over it?
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 04:11 AM UTC
David,
Your build plate sure is full. I'm not even sure what my next build will be as yet. I now leave a good 2 months for any after market including decals and paint so I'm all set when the build does start.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 04:12 AM UTC
D,
The roof decal looks dead on perfect. Great save for sure.

joel
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 05:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

David,
Your build plate sure is full. I'm not even sure what my next build will be as yet. I now leave a good 2 months for any after market including decals and paint so I'm all set when the build does start.

Joel

I didn't typically use a lot of aftermarket stuff until the last few years, most of that was purchased at the time of the kit. The lone exception was the decals for the Capri.

BTW, the original decals I had ordered and got refunded by EvilBay arrived in the mail yesterday evening. A day late and a dollar short.
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 12:39 PM UTC
Great Capri David. Nice to see a European Ford race car in the mix.

cheers
Michael
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 02:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great Capri David. Nice to see a European Ford race car in the mix.

cheers
Michael

Thank you Michael.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Auto Modeler: 555 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 06:25 PM UTC
Project plan at work. All the major airbrushing is done. Just waiting to clear some airplane projects and I can get to the detail painting and clear coats.

Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 11:52 PM UTC
A forest of alligator clip trees. Looking good Mark.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2020 - 12:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice save on the roof. Did you remove the first or just go over it?

The original roof decal was buried under multiple layers of Alclad Aqua Gloss, I wasn't even going to attempt to remove it. The new one is straight over the top, and you can see a "ghost" of the old decal just above the windscreen frame line, under the white part of the new decal.

I've given it a second dose of Mr Mark Softer and hot water, and used a scalpel blade to cut the higher creases, and I think it's almost ready for more clear now.

Mark, great to see some more progress with your Reynard, your cunning plan sees to be paying off!

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2020 - 02:20 AM UTC
Mark,
Now that's one impressive painting session for sure.

I prime, paint, and detail a few steps at a time. I know that I'd save a ton of time doing all the painting at once, but it's tough to teach a very old Dog any new tricks.

joel
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 766 posts
Auto Modeler: 140 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2020 - 02:26 AM UTC
Damian,
Just a question but why is there so much blue bleed over into the white spaces on the hood and the roof? Is it just the photograph? Also, why didn't the new decal cover all of the old decal? Seems like it should have gone all the way to the windshield...

I like the build but just wonder if the decals have a problem so I can avoid them...

When does it get chassis and frame? Looking forward to seeing it!