The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Strip, Track & Trail Official Build Thread
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2020 - 12:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Michael,
Looking real good Sir. I'm more then impressed. Are those two "storage tanks" for gas? If so, the weight distribution must have been a major issue as they went through a load of fuel.

Joel

Hi Joel, not for gas, for luggage. You didn't have put anything in them, they just had to be there. Rules for different classes of Le Mans cars were odd at the best of times. The 908 did not require the spare tyre, luggage space or extra seat that the 917s did. Some classes today still require these, like the LM GTE cars.

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2020 - 12:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Time for a little update on my '55 Pro Sportsman. I've been struggling with the tube frames around the engine bay. They fit very tightly around the headers, and if I have glued the headers on slightly out of position the tube frames press against them and won't sit neatly in position. I am playing around with them and doing some "In Field Styling Modifications" and they are almost there.

Cheers, D

Sounds like my issues. Good luck with those

cheers
Michael
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 - 12:35 AM UTC
Michael,
Thanks for the info. I always hated the spare tire and pass seat rules. Once they figured out how to make miniature tires, it really became a joke, and those pass seats got smaller and smaller.

Joel
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 - 06:11 AM UTC
As I'd posted Saturday. I got the Jager Orange laid down. Sanded out two small dust spots and hit it again yesterday.

The wing is just loose in the slots until the decals are done.

Couldn't resist putting the chassis in:

The last two photos are more representative of the actual color.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 - 07:39 AM UTC
David,
Wow

Absolutely love the color. You nailed it for sure.

Joel
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 - 08:43 AM UTC
Thanks Joel, hope I can do the decals justice.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 - 09:17 AM UTC
David,
I'm betting on it. if you can paint that good, decals should be a breeze.

Joel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 - 04:45 PM UTC
Looks amazing David, great work!

Cheers, D
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 - 12:19 AM UTC
Thanks D.

Hope to start decals soon. The next two nights are tied up with conference calls to our Aus. offices and then our Japan dealer.

This work stuff is getting in the way...

pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 766 posts
Auto Modeler: 140 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 - 05:01 AM UTC
David, that looks really cool! Hope you have great success with the decals! I know you will!
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 - 06:19 AM UTC
Thanks Patrick.

Did a test decal a couple minutes ago.

The decal company supplied silver blanks to go under the decals. I figured that is because they think the white isn't opaque enough to stop bleed through. Well, I tried a sacrificial one in an area that will be less seen without putting the silver backer down, it also had the distinction of being the only decal that really needs to settle over details.

The white is strong enough, and it settled quite well, but they are grabby and thin. Water, Set and Sol only on these.

My 8 PM conference call for this evening got pushed to next week so I may be able to lay a few down tonight.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 - 07:46 AM UTC
David,
Interesting that they gave you silver backer decals. I would have thought that they would have used just plain white. Still, it's a really nice touch.

Joel
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 - 11:53 AM UTC
Joel, I thought the silver was weird too. They have it on a lot of their sheets that use a darker color paint. One other weird thing is that their D&W on black scheme for this car doesn't have the silver.

Anyway, they are very slow going due to the thinness of them. Several of them curled under the backing paper as I was trying to slide them onto the body. I started with smaller ones and managed to get nine done in one hour this evening. Only 30 or so more to go.
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 - 12:08 PM UTC
Looking good David. The colour certainly looks like Jägermeister Orange. Looking forward to see the decals go down.

cheers
Michael
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2020 - 01:42 AM UTC
David,
If you're having issues with decals sticking ASAP to the plastic even with Micro Set, I go to Plan B, which is a little room temp water with a drop of liquid dishwashing detergent like Dawn. the Decals just slide right where you want them. Then a wick around the decal to start to settle it in followed by a lite pat. then comes the Micro Set followed by the Sol. The less you have to pressure move thin decals, the better you are.

Joel
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2020 - 03:45 AM UTC
Thanks Michael, and also thanks for the umlauts too. I didn't feel like going into ASCII code to get them. Jägermeister LOL

Joel, they are only slightly clingy. I started to flood the area with wet water (your soap and water mix) after the first one that I tried as a test.

Mostly the issue is with trying to wrap under the backing paper, especially with smaller decals.

I've got a system that seems to be working pretty well for them now. Between calls today I was able to get a few more on.

I am getting a slight bleed on one or two of the Jägermeister lettering. Maybe the white isn't as consistent as it should be and the decal mfgr was right. Oh well, C'est le guerre. Too late now.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2020 - 08:21 PM UTC
Battling through the tube frame at the noisy end of my '55 Pro Sports. Radiator, coil springs and accumulator have been added since last update as well. I'm about 75% there on the engine bay area with a couple of straight braces to add then brake discs and tidy up the paint.

Cheers, D
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2020 - 11:41 PM UTC
Looking great D. The bay bars, engine and equipment look real nice together.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2020 - 12:53 AM UTC
D,
Your making excellent progress for sure.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2020 - 05:33 AM UTC
This week I've concentrated on the chassis, and what is modeled of the front & rear suspensions. Basically, both ends of the suspension are basic at best as the only way to see them is by looking at the bottom of the pan.

I air brushed the pan a darkish Gray to simulate Carbon Fiber. And since it's never going to be seen once it's in its display bin, it's more then good enough for the intended purpose. For me the focus is on the 4 disc brakes as you will clearly see them through the wheels. The discs are steel, the hubs Aluminum, and the Calibers Titanium Aluminum followed by the makers logo. I gave each disc a wash with Tamiya Black panel line wash just to help pop out the view details. I also painted the transaxle aluminum but once the interior is added, you'll never see it.

the Front brakes:

The Rear brakes:

the radiator and fan housing will be visible when looking down through the radiator exhaust opening in the hood, so it was air brushed with Dark Gray to simulate CF, then dry brushed with a light Sky Gray.
The radiator assembly was air brushed polished Aluminum, and once dry the radiator core was given a few washes of Tamiya Black panel line wash.

As always, thanks for stopping by, and checking out my progress to date.

Joel
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2020 - 06:30 AM UTC
Looking great Joel. Nice work on the brakes. Good color differentiation between the components and the wash makes it even better.

Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2020 - 06:37 AM UTC
Main body of the Capri is done with decals. Not perfect by any stretch, but sufficient to go into the office display shelf instead of the basement.

I hope to clean it up and hit the clear tonight, if not it will be Sunday before I can do it. My Dad passed last summer and my step mom a few weeks ago. We're going to get Dad's items that she wouldn't let us have this weekend. He'd built a couple models and did get me started. I've got the only surviving one it my office boxed away until I can get a proper way to display it.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2020 - 07:58 AM UTC
David,
Thanks for the thumbs up, it's greatly appreciated.

You decaling looks dead on perfect to me. I'd settle for it any day of the week.

Joel
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2020 - 08:54 AM UTC
Thanks Joel, I appreciate it.

The one that stands out to me is the waviness of the one on the left door. Didn't even see it until the picture was on the computer.
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 766 posts
Auto Modeler: 140 posts
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2020 - 11:13 AM UTC
Wonderful work everyone! I am not getting much done these days as we are acclimating my wife back to work after 15 months of repair on her chassis (bilateral hip replacements), family springing in, and a planned visit by my son from Little Rock the first week of July.

I will try to get a little done this Sunday but it won't be much. Working in 1/24th scale is a bit more frustrating especially since this Porsche has THREE different colors on the pan... white, chrome, and semi-gloss black. And then there is the cockpit...

Anyway, it is a slow go... and I almost gave up and went back to 1/12th scale. But I will not be defeated as I spent $47 on decals! LOL!