Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Group Build Proposal - Chev vs Hemi
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 04:09 AM UTC
"How much does hot air count for.....chevys rule" - I think that's a given!
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
Auto Modeler: 20 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 06:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

a chevy may visit you in your dreams tonight

Bob (bigrip 74)

...that would be nightmares then...thoughts of my old '74 nova{what a POS}...the '73 hatchback was ok cept it had a 307! Same for my old '74 vega GT with the '65 olds aluminum V-8 in it...what a hassle that one was. It'd be just bad dreams about the '73 vega or the '67 chevyII...for having sold them.{I didn't say that!}

PROOF that you love chevy, You had (4) without the correct engine though, but dont blame the beautiful NAME. I did not have a vechicle until after the Navy and my favorite was a used 72' Impala with a tempermental brute "327" which made mince meat of all around Pleasnant Grove / Balch Springs TX I only wish that I still had my 80' C10 with a Holley 4 barrel, 4 bolt main 350, now that was a beast. The previous owner had done some machining on the heads (I did not get to talk to him re: what he actually did but, my mother bought herself a used Nova and the dealer was a friend and almost gave her the C10 for me. I was young, dumb, and full of it after I was mustered out. So I would just pull up next to a punk in a Dodge and gunn it then leave them in the dust. That P/U still has a place in my heart . Bob you needed a 327 or 350 in that Nova then we would be buddies

Bob
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 09:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bob you needed a 327 or 350 in that Nova then we would be buddies

Bob

Well, the '74 had a 350 single quad, but every time I'd shut her off I had to wait at least an hour till the motor cooled off before I could start it...otherwise it would barely crank over...timing was fine and a 2nd starter didn't fix the problem so I sold her for the '74 vega Gt project car - that 215 motor was fun...troublesome, but fun.. My '73 nova hatchback had either a 307 or a 305...dog motors either way. I never mentioned my '74 chevy p/u truck due to the severe rust leaves me with little to describe-hahaha. That lil '73 vega with the straight 4 was actually a nice car...pea green...but nice anyway. Only other GM was an '80 olds wagon with a penchant for electrical problems.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 05:26 PM UTC
A stroll down memory lane for you guys, some classics amongst the cars you guys have owned. If only you knew then what you know now

Anyway, here's the anatomy of a deconstruction. First couple of pics are the engine as it was when I picked up the kit . . . .

Horrible red paint job, no work on the seams or flash, no de-chroming the parts before they were glued on over the top of the paint. Several chrome parts just fell of in my hands before these shots were taken.
Into a ziplock bag it went, along with a generous squirt of Mr Muscle oven cleaner, locked up, shaken around, mixed up and left overnight.
Last night . . . .

Thismorning . . . . . .

I took to the parts with a toothbrush and cold water and most of the crap came off, and most of the glue joints fell apart as well . . . .

Bag into the bag with more Mr Muscle for another couple of hours, then another session with the toothbrush, some fine work with a toothpick and exacto blade, and here we are . . . .

I think I can work with this now

Next step is de-chroming all of the kit parts, they will get the Alclad Polished Chrome treatment !!

Cheers, D

P.S.

hehehehehehehehehe
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 01:20 AM UTC
Nice work on stripping the engine now you will have a nice clean platform to work on, what condition is the rest of the kit in.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 01:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work on stripping the engine now you will have a nice clean platform to work on, what condition is the rest of the kit in.

Thanks Robert. The rest of the kit is untouched, just a few parts off the sprues.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 05:03 AM UTC
Hey! D, what is the name of this Mr. muscle or is that the name. Looks like some great stuff.

Bob
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 09:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey! D, what is the name of this Mr. muscle or is that the name. Looks like some great stuff.

Bob

Hiya Bob. It's just called Mr Muscle. It's a foaming oven cleaner that is non-caustic, uses alkaline salts as the active ingredient. The name is registered to S C Johnson in the USofA so you should be able to find it or an equivalent there. It's usually in the cleaning/detergent aisle of the supermarket.

Cheers, D
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 04:27 AM UTC
Hi guy's

I plan to build this beautiful 1970 T/A Challenger and what was the best looking Chevy I could find.
Mopar vs Chevy build" BORDER="0">
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
Auto Modeler: 62 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 11:09 AM UTC
Now that's funny.

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 01:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guy's
I plan to build this beautiful 1970 T/A Challenger and what was the best looking Chevy I could find.

AAAAAAAAAAaaahahahahahaha

Ok ok ok, so the Challenger might just make the quarter mile a second or 2 faster, but run them into each other head on and see who's laughing
Wolfsangel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 221 posts
Auto Modeler: 33 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 07:17 AM UTC
Hey Damian, everybody, Just thought I'd pop in and toss a couple of grenades over the wall between life-changing events.

Just for the sake of anal retentive clarity, would you rename this campaign Chevy vs. Mopar, Bowtie vs. Pentastar, or Rat vs. Hemi? How about Solidly built vs. well styled scrap?
The other problem I'm having is Dogged (Dodge) hasn't actually built a real hemi since what, '74?! The current "Hemi" is a Porsche/VW designed motor with hemispherical combustion chamber. wow.
These things can't hold a candle to the real Hemi pavement torches from the 60s-70s. Imagine taking a real '71 Hemi and dropping it in one of the new trucks. About the same gas mileage but an unbeatable tire frying ability... at least until the rest of the drive train would jettison itself (about 30 seconds).
Just stirring up the pot.
Charlie
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 10:10 AM UTC
Hey! Charlie. And how is it down home, (weather wise) these days? Like the play on words that you put forth and the Hemi annallogy. I a Chevy guy agrees with ya. I wish for a few of the then stuff over the now trash. And I is from the Dallas area.

Bob
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 02:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Now that's funny.

Yeah it is......looks like somebody dropped a little ugly bomb on that chevy!
......................See!!!..........
-personnal thing
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 02:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Damian, everybody, Just thought I'd pop in and toss a couple of grenades over the wall between life-changing events.

Just for the sake of anal retentive clarity, would you rename this campaign Chevy vs. Mopar, Bowtie vs. Pentastar, or Rat vs. Hemi? How about Solidly built vs. well styled scrap?
The other problem I'm having is Dogged (Dodge) hasn't actually built a real hemi since what, '74?! The current "Hemi" is a Porsche/VW designed motor with hemispherical combustion chamber. wow.
These things can't hold a candle to the real Hemi pavement torches from the 60s-70s. Imagine taking a real '71 Hemi and dropping it in one of the new trucks. About the same gas mileage but an unbeatable tire frying ability... at least until the rest of the drive train would jettison itself (about 30 seconds).
Just stirring up the pot.
Charlie

I like this one; solidly built ugly vs fast well styled...yup- chebby vs mopar!
Now, even though tha current rendition of the hemi is far too smogged out, she is, none the less, still a copy of the early hemi...the 354cuin to be exact. I do have to ask why did they stop there and not build the 392cuin of the same era{no replacement for displacement}. That hemi is still far better than the smogged out 454cuin that chubby had !
Damian is only comparing the aussie powered hemi version he may have seen against the world but "that" hemi in the aussie charger was only a straight 6{charger}...not a real or fair comparison. We all know that the madmax car ruled the streets{over there!} with a dreaded four letter word motor{351C..and a blower}...but that's another build for someday.

The only thing that gets me is that Jesper found an uglier chubby than I did!
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 03:48 PM UTC
Hey Bob I do not often critisize others spelling errors. But you must mean CHEVY vs MOPUD yes? It even sounds like the starters that I remember in the past. You could always pick out the Mopud when they had trouble starting.

Bob
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 10:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Damian is only comparing the aussie powered hemi version he may have seen against the world but "that" hemi in the aussie charger was only a straight 6{charger}...not a real or fair comparison. We all know that the madmax car ruled the streets{over there!} with a dreaded four letter word motor{351C..and a blower}...but that's another build for someday.

We had a few 340 and even 440 Magnum units kicking around as well, but the real war here has always been Ford vs Holden, 351 vs 308, 327 or 350. Here's a good look at some Aussie Heavy metal "Aussie Coupes" for the uninitiated. In my late teens I had a HK Monaro, it was only a 6-pack (186 cu in) but it was still tons of fun.

Quoted Text

The only thing that gets me is that Jesper found an uglier chubby than I did!

Come on, that truck is beautiful ! In the same sort of way that I'm beautiful

Not long now guys, are we all ready ??

c5flies
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Auto Modeler: 294 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 05:37 PM UTC
Aye Cap'n, I be ready. For the broke down, oil spewing rustbucket I'll be building...

and for the sexy, sleek and fast car I'll be building this beauty...

Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 11:03 PM UTC
So you will be building a real car, made of steel and a car made out of plastic. Basically a 1/1 modelcar.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 04:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Bob I do not often critisize others spelling errors. But you must mean CHEVY vs MOPUD yes? It even sounds like the starters that I remember in the past. You could always pick out the Mopud when they had trouble starting.

Bob

Oh, there was no mispelling on my part.
..and yeah, I can't argue you that one, one can easily pick an old mopar that's starting from a crowd of cars...that distinctive starter sound was different wasn't it.
"Mopud"........
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 04:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Come on, that truck is beautiful ! In the same sort of way that I'm beautiful

Mmmhmm....yeah, hermon and I always wondered why the fish, in your avitar, was wearing a hat?
Now, per your link, yup - there's the charger{under the chrysler section} that I mentioned...not too shabby for a slant 6! We never got that one over here unfortunately - nor the aussie webbed 351C block. My buddy mike and I always thought what would be some great stuff to container over here and that 6 was one of the motors. I believe datsun had an earier hemi L4 too.
Too bad the model industry never made any of those cars in kit form{aside from the madmax falcon}...canada had some nice twists to "our"{here} hardware as well.

My builds are now tweeked alittle- the '71 roadrunner revamp stays...the chevette goes....now I'm thinking of a friends old favorite{and mine alittle} a '70 1/2 Z-28 camaro.....but this one, unlike most of any here, will have both back spring frame attachments intact and unrusted through - no boards holding the spring backs down inside the trunk - GMs {F bodies?}loved rusting through there as bad as the '70s dart/duster/amcs did on their front fender tops.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Auto Modeler: 555 posts
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 05:06 AM UTC
Hey D, if you have any working chevy engines left I thinkwe found a use for them:

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 09:12 AM UTC
This is at Hermon and Bob. I am so confidant in my superior vehicle that I will let the two of you choose what type of Chebby and Mopud I build. Now how is that for superior craftsmanship CHEVY RULES FOR EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 09:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey D, if you have any working chevy engines left I thinkwe found a use for them:

Mark, if you keep interupting here you do understand that you will be expected to contribute build-wise ??

That very wise man used a 454 Chev because he knew darn well that it would start, run smooth and perform flawlessly in the most extreme conditions. If he had used a Hemi on the other hand, he would have a 500-pound dead weight that would refuse to fire up even inside the cosy garage, leave a trail of oil everywhere, and if it ventured outside would just shatter into a pile of shards.
Clearly you have editied that section of the article out before you posted it.

Don't worry, I'm right on to you and your antics mate !!

@ Bob (Rip)

Quoted Text

CHEVY RULES FOR EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

Right on brother, right on !!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 02:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ah, see there's the problem my friend...they don't have any left...and we don't have any to send them, and they stubbornly won't accept any prefectly good Mopar engines...the Madmax movie was really a warning to them all - start taking some Mopar engines or the whole country will be left in ruins with still running outcast ford engined cars!
- it bashes chevys, good enough.
...Hmmmm...I may recant that{still runnings ford cars} to some degree at a later{other build} date!