Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Group Build Proposal - Chev vs Hemi
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 04:38 AM UTC
Does Australia even have cars? Are there any roads there?

Hermon
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
Auto Modeler: 62 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 08:44 AM UTC
F ix
O r
R epair
D aily

Wrecked the Chevy
Got a Ford explorer, and parked it because it was unsafe to drive. (That roll over / Tire thing and lack of customer service.)
Got a Durango. Loved it
Got another Durango. Loved it.
Got a BMW X5. I know, I'm a traitor to the cause.

There is a 69 Charger that is parked over near the golf course. I have been trying to get that old guy to sell it for a few years. I fell in love with that car when I was in 4th grade and I always wanted one.

You know what? With all these insults flying, I think I'll go work on my SE 5a. I wonder if I could shoe-horn a nice hemi into it.

I can't wait to get this thing started. By 2011, I will probably have two or three more MOPARS in my curio. But I can always go out and get another one.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 02:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well guys, now that I've initiated some calm, rational conversation regarding the relative merits of Chevrolet and Chrysler/Dodge, how about some constructive input regarding timing and rules.

As prospective Campaign leader I hereby call an end to the inane rambling that has preceded this post.

Salut, D

Sorry, I guess I got alittle carried away...I shouldn't have...............so.......let's set a date and we'll let the "models" talk! ...I'm going to go work on my Morgan now.
c5flies
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Auto Modeler: 294 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 03:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...I shouldn't have...

Why not....all in good fun

Just about any start date is ok with me, so you guys work that out. I may build one from each camp, 'cause Detroit (and Bowling Green) iron (and aluminum) is all good
Modelbouwerke
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 794 posts
Auto Modeler: 179 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 11:38 PM UTC
Listen to the music.
They sing about Mercedes, Porche, Little Red Corvette and even Chevy.
But never, ever did I hear a song that mentioned Hemi.

Erikssson.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 12:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Listen to the music.

Erikssson.

How bout "Barracuda" by Heart or "Fuel" by Metallica? Also "HemiCuda'"......can't remember the band.....

Hermon
Modelbouwerke
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 12:30 AM UTC
Metallica?????

I was talking about music.

Ok. You're right.
But it's not my kind a music.

Erikssson.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 01:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Also "HemiCuda'"......can't remember the band.....
Hermon

I think it was Spice Girls aaaaaaaahahahahaha
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 02:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you hemi boys need some rust and oil pigments for that realistic Dodge look, I probably have some extra from my armor builds. And don't forget to scrounge around in the spares box for all those extra drivetrain parts to lay around your car. Or if you're going the diorama route, maybe pose it up on the lift...be like home sweet home.

Maybe a street dio with the driver kicking the door and 3 of his mates pushing the car. A big oil spill and a few bits of diff on the ground. Hmm, maybe I'll build a Mopar like this just for fun. Art imitating life.
Modelbouwerke
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 04:01 AM UTC
Was thinking on building a Chevy towing a Hemi to the junkyard.
Two kits for the price of one

Erikssson.
Modelbouwerke
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 04:02 AM UTC
Honest, I realy love both, Chevy as some nice cars and a Hemi is always fun to see.
But maybe I build both.
The Corvette Callaway is one of them.

Erikssson.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
Auto Modeler: 62 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 09:31 AM UTC
How can you tell a rich boy from Kentucky?

He is the guy with two broken down Chevys in his front yard.

F ound
O n
R oad,
D ead

Sorry. I couldn't resist.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 11:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Listen to the music.

Erikssson.

Hmmm...beach boys, "two coupe shorts standing side by side...the stingray is light the slicks are startin to spin, but the 413 is really diggin in".....that's as close as it goes for mopars that I know of.
Don't forget "GTO" and "lil cobra", "hot rod lincoln" and "the lil nash rambler- beep beep".....
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 11:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Listen to the music.

Erikssson.

How bout "Barracuda" by Heart or "Fuel" by Metallica? Also "HemiCuda'"......can't remember the band.....

Hermon

How bout "burn" by deep purple...nah, but a good song anyway.

Oh{duh} 2nd dodge reference song, "little old lady from pasadena" but it's only a vague reference to "a super stock dodge".
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Auto Modeler: 555 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 12:04 PM UTC
Wasn't the goat or Garbage Truck Option a Pontiac? I'm guessing the "lil cobra' is a Shelby Mustang. I thought there was a song about a 442 (Olds) and 409 (Chevy). Haven't found a Hemi song, but one of you guys is gonna have to stop building M47 Patton tanks (with a V12 Hemi engine)
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Auto Modeler: 555 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 12:24 PM UTC
No luck on the little old lady, per Wiki (FWIW):

Quoted Text

From this premise came the comic song, about a little old lady from Pasadena who had a hot "Super Stock Dodge" a 1964 Dodge Polara or Dodge 330 in her garage. (These vehicles had low production number "Max Wedge" (Maximum Performance Wedge Engine) lightweight race specials built in 1964 for drag racing. These are highly collectible today.) The twist was that unlike in the usual story, this little old lady not only drove the hot car, but was a peerless street racer

Dodge dropped the original hemi's for the wedge until 1964 when they introduced the 426 Hemi and shut down the Chevy 409's in NHRA.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 03:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

No luck on the little old lady, per Wiki (FWIW):

Quoted Text

From this premise came the comic song, about a little old lady from Pasadena who had a hot "Super Stock Dodge" a 1964 Dodge Polara or Dodge 330 in her garage. (These vehicles had low production number "Max Wedge" (Maximum Performance Wedge Engine) lightweight race specials built in 1964 for drag racing. These are highly collectible today.) The twist was that unlike in the usual story, this little old lady not only drove the hot car, but was a peerless street racer

Dodge dropped the original hemi's for the wedge until 1964 when they introduced the 426 Hemi and shut down the Chevy 409's in NHRA.

Most likely had the track pac radio/heater delete, no insulation and acid dipped body panels for lightness...plymouth savoys got the same treatment and usually cost alittle less because of the lessor trim line, but still had the good motor!{ugly but fast}
As I recall the 31" runner manifold made it's debut till '65 when they went to the 18" version for better midrange.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 03:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wasn't the goat or Garbage Truck Option a Pontiac? I'm guessing the "lil cobra' is a Shelby Mustang. I thought there was a song about a 442 (Olds) and 409 (Chevy). Haven't found a Hemi song, but one of you guys is gonna have to stop building M47 Patton tanks (with a V12 Hemi engine)

GM= pontiac. Probably can't open that can of worms up since that would let in Olds, Buick and Caddy's as well....Damian?
Forgot about the 409 song, Cobra is AC/Ford...so song wise it's ok but not as far as the build goes, and I don't recall the 442 song{guess I'm not old enough for once}
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 03:32 PM UTC
This build is gonna be a tough call....got three kits sitting here to ponder;
- '71 GTX to be converted into my old '72 satellite sebring plus
- '58 resin Fury Hardtop and I have a '58 Chrysler 300 for the motor
- '72{?} vega voomer in 1/20 with crummy rims to be done per my old '72 vega{sorry hermon}

May save the Fury for a campaign idea I have..."Movie cars"{christine}
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 04:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

GM= pontiac. Probably can't open that can of worms up since that would let in Olds, Buick and Caddy's as well....Damian?

My thoughts were mainly for the powerplant and it's traditional use, so Pontiac would be in for sure. My father always owned Pontiacs. In fact at one stage in my mid-teens we had 4 in various stages of restoration. We had 2 '64 Laurentians, a Bonneville ('67ish I think) and a '67 Parisienne that my father still owns.

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions, what do the masses think ? Do we stick to the car manufacturers or do we broaden the options and go with the powerplant ???
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 - 01:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

My thoughts were mainly for the powerplant and it's traditional use, so Pontiac would be in for sure. My father always owned Pontiacs. In fact at one stage in my mid-teens we had 4 in various stages of restoration. We had 2 '64 Laurentians, a Bonneville ('67ish I think) and a '67 Parisienne that my father still owns.

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions, what do the masses think ? Do we stick to the car manufacturers or do we broaden the options and go with the powerplant ???

Growing up, we had a '68 firebird coupe when I was born, then went to a '68 bonnie sedan{kids}, then aquired a '70 bonnie wagon{kids/cargo} then finished up later with a nice used '76 grand am.....pop liked his pontiacs.
To use just the "motor" would allow anything from T-buckets to GNXs ... to stick with an oem platform{numbers matching} it's be the whole car/make...your show, your call.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 - 01:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

To use just the "motor" would allow anything from T-buckets to GNXs ... to stick with an oem platform{numbers matching} it's be the whole car/make...your show, your call.

Good point, powerplant might be too open. Maybe a compromise, how about we go with the 2 major manufacturers for each type, say Chev and Pontiac for the good guys, and maybe Dodge and Skoda for the dark side ? Thoughts?
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 - 04:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good point, powerplant might be too open. Maybe a compromise, how about we go with the 2 major manufacturers for each type, say Chev and Pontiac for the good guys, and maybe Dodge and Skoda for the dark side ? Thoughts?

......What the hell man.....
If you don't include Plymouth then you're leaving out the coolest muscle car ever.....the Hemi Cuda'. Why don't you name it something like "GM vs. Chrysler"? You may end up with an oddball entry such as a big block Malibu or 64 Belv but I think the majority are gonna be well known cars. Remember, the 442 Olds. and Buick GSX certainly weren't slouches either. Then again, you could do some kind of American muscle shoot out which would include ALL American muscle cars including AMC and Ford (did they make muscle cars? )

Hermon
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 - 04:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

and Ford (did they make muscle cars? )
Hermon

Sure they made muscle cars, you grew huge leg muscles pushing them home.

"GM vs Chrysler" sounds good, all in favour say CHEV hehe.

I agree with Hermon (man, did I just type those words ??), most builds will be from the majors, and the oddballs will just add to the flavour of the Campaign.

Cheers, D
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 - 04:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I agree with Hermon (man, did I just type those words ??),

Cheers, D

Drinking again D? Put the bottle down man before we start becoming friends!

Hermon